Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 14 - 22 Feb 2020

Poster: A snowHead
@jirac18, If starting at Morillon, what's the lift/piste route to Flaine? Ta.

CG
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’d go up the main lift, Sairon?

Then across and down to Gron and up that, then down to Tetes de Saix. From top of that one it’s down towards to main linking chair, maybe called Vernant not sure. For top of that follow your nose all the way to Flaine.

Alternative route, replace Gron and Tetes de Saix with the single new lift between Morillon and Samoens, think it’s called Colouvier or similar....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Roger C, Cheers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Others will have their own routes, but mine was - Up the Sairon chair, then ski down to the Coulouvrier chair, which takes you to Tete des Saix. From there, it is down to Vernant chair. From the top of the Vernant you can ski down to Flaine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sairon chair from esserts to top, les chars blue piste (or a red that seems to be shut all the time) to colouvrier lift up to tete des saix, silice/malice/dolomie blues to the vernant lift, tourmaline and you're in flaine. to get back, grand vans chair, grenat(?) onto dolomie corbalanche lift up, perce neige, arete, sauron home. or pass corbalanche by and continue on portet (avoid if on a snowboard as v flat) and up molliets lift, join the run home at arete.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just gorgeous today. Blue skies good snow from yesterday’s falls, & weirdly Samoens slopes much quieter today. Real bliss out there. Our instructor thought a lot of people gone further afield to make a day of it. Apart from the 30+ minute wait at start for gondola, a perfect mornings skiing. All is forgiven Samoens Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today we started at Vercland again but sadly queue was pretty heavy and took half an hour. Chariande express was obviously busy too up to Têtes.
Planned to go over to Flaine saw the queue at the Vernant lift and decided it wasn’t worth it so stayed around Morillon and Carroz to finish before heading back down to Samoens.

Still a lot of decent powder off piste. We had a blast in it and to be honest it was so much easier skiing that than the busy pistes.

Skied over lunch today so had a couple of hours of small lift queues and a bit more space on piste. Some icy patches and lots of hard packed still despite yesterday’s snowfall.

Perce Neige down to Dahu was like a run for your life exercise again. I’m not sure what can be done to ease this but if I could urge GM to spend money on anything it would be a remedy to this!

Took the off piste to the left of Dahu and joined the Marmotte Red a third the way down then crossed and did another large section to the right of Marmotte. Snow was fairly tracked but still fresh and powdered better than the icy piste.

Just one more day now. Sadly a bit of me is relieved as the crowds and reckless skiers are bothering me and somewhat taking the shine off otherwise really nice days. I think this will be our last February half term in France for the foreseeable further.

@Charliegolf, sorry didn’t see your post re directions to Flaine but others have answered it anyway. How was Flaine if you got there? Be interested to know if it’s worth the pain of the lift queues en route.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jirac18 wrote:
Perce Neige down to Dahu was like a run for your life exercise again. I’m not sure what can be done to ease this but if I could urge GM to spend money on anything it would be a remedy to this!

You should have seen it before the last round of improvements! It used to be much narrower than it is now, especially the first bit that's just below where the Coulouvrier lift arrives now. And the bit that goes 'behind' Coulouvrier was so narrow that I always thought I'd either get blown off in a breeze or go over the edge if I just fell down. rolling eyes I totally agree that it's not at all nice.....but massively better than it was!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sj1608 wrote:
jirac18 wrote:

You should have seen it before the last round of improvements! It used to be much narrower than it is now, especially the first bit that's just below where the Coulouvrier lift arrives now. And the bit that goes 'behind' Coulouvrier was so narrow that I always thought I'd either get blown off in a breeze or go over the edge if I just fell down. rolling eyes I totally agree that it's not at all nice.....but massively better than it was!

Second that it used to be nearly like a half pipe at times and lots of inexperienced skiers trying to get down it. There was nearly a queue esp for anyone that needed to traverse as there was just no room.
Glad that conditions have improved a bit. Hopefully there’ll be some more snow before March 6th. Thanks for the updates.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowmam, local forecast is predicting heavy snow next Wednesday. Yesterday and today have been great but it’s still glaringly obvious that its been a very odd winter and simply not enough snow and not enough sustained cold weather.
It’s defo colder after sun down both yesterday and today so that should help but hot and sunny again tomorrow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m not convinced it’s better than it was before especially in really busy times.

As it’s wider I think more people ski it faster but cos of the moguls and / or hard pack it so often is, there are still loads of people struggling to get down it and it’s not wide enough for these two to mix.

When it was more narrow I think it acted as a natural brake.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Couple of pics of Morillon today
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jirac18 wrote:

@Charliegolf, sorry didn’t see your post re directions to Flaine but others have answered it anyway. How was Flaine if you got there? Be interested to know if it’s worth the pain of the lift queues en route.

No probs. We're not out yet- Morillon 3rd to the 31st. But we were at Carroz last week Jan and Flaine was really good. Croque at the top of Grand Plattiers in the sun. Made the big never repeat error of doing Cascades! My God, what a drag- the last few km were absolutely scraped clean, and Mrs Golf was not happy. Won't be doin that again!
latest report
jirac18 wrote:
Couple of pics of Morillon today

Beautiful in the sunshine. Thank you. I stress every year before we go but we’ve never not been able to ski always have enough snow on piste. Not into off piste anyway so that’s fine. Some friends from California joining us this year and they’ve been skiiing Tahoe lately so just hoping they’ll enjoy the Grand Massif as much as we do.
latest report
Looks like we had a small fall of snow in Samoens overnight...every little helps!
snow conditions
Thanks for all the updates guys. Heading to Les carroz on the 28th of Feb for 4 days. Some forecasts show it snowing now for all the time we are there - only thing worse that not enough snow is too much! Looks like Flaine will be out for us! Did mid term last year in Samoëns and found Flaine the least crowded spot. Dreaded the run back home though with the crowds and soft moguls - felt like we were taking our lives in our hands every time at the top of Tête de Saix. @jirac18 safe travels home.
snow conditions
@Simone, If you get your timing right then Flaine shouldn't be a big issue. Best not to think of it as a full day. Go mid morning or later, don't spend too long at lunch and get on the Grand Vans by 15.00. That should make life at the TdS a lot better . If the top of Perce Neige is busy stay far right . Most people coming back from Flaine via the Corbalanche chair turn sharpish left. Just go further across, it's always easier.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy