Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ordering from US retailer - experience please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of ordering some skis from the US. I have never ordered anything from outside of the EU so I am not sure if it is common to end up with a tax demand for vat or duties. I just wondered if any snowheads had ordered from the US and if they had any problems?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes duty which may vary on the item classification and a handling charge. Then VAT on the top of the lot
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a 99.9% certainty that you'll be hit for a customs clearance fee, 2-3% duty and then VAT. VAT is payable on the value of goods plus the shipping costs. Shipping skis from the US to the UK is pricey as they're classed as outsize items - $80 to $100 would be typical for skis in the flat with the added weight/bulk of bindings increasing that.

I'd budget on that whatever the skis cost you in US$ they'll end up costing you that amount in GBP. Unless it's a USA made ski it's usually cheaper buying from the UK/EU.

It's a Federal offence for a US retailer to devalue the goods on the customs declaration and it's an offence in the UK for you to ask them to do it. Also, it's very easy for UK customs to simply Google the item(s) to verify the value.

If they post them by USPS then they'll be delivered by Parcelforce at this end and you'll need to pay the importation charges before delivery. Parcelforce will mail you the invoice which delays things a few days but it can be paid online.

If they send them by FedEx/UPS then the driver will want payment of the fees upon delivery and their clearance fee is usual a bit dearer than Parcelforce's but it'll be a faster service.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, always so knowledgable! Thank you exactly what I needed to know.

I cannot find the skis in Europe so far (all sold out). Looking for Moment Wildcat.

The alternative is I pick them up next time I am in the US and have them delivered to a colleague.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can pay the charges ahead of delivery then you can avoid the courier charging an extortionate handling fee to pay those for you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve had retailers in the US refuse to ship outside the US or they are threatened by suppliers to delist them. Guess that’s how they maintain such high prices in Europe.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3.7% duty & the 20% on top of the ski price, the shipping cost & the duty!

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9506?currency=EUR&day=14&month=2&year=2020
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You need to find a friendly snowhead in the USA who is coming back soon with a big ski bag!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy