Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First aid kit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am going on a skiing trip in the Zillertal, Austria, next month and I am currently checking all the equipment I need, especially the stuff that I always have in my backpack when going down the slopes. I just noticed that my first aid kit could use some shopping, although I hope that I won’t need it on my next trip. However, I want to be on the safe side and already bought some of the basics. One of the things that are still missing is disposable gloves. One of my friends got hit by a ski pole that went right through his glasses and nearly caught his eye. So I want to make sure that I have some gloves for the worst case when I have to handle wounds. I did some research and came across these gloves. They seem to be suitable for the purpose but are also latex-free so that none of us can get allergic reactions when wearing them.

What do you think? Where do you usually buy the stuff for your first aid kit? I don’t necessarily want to buy a whole new kit since there was still some stuff inside and I don’t need another bag. Always open to any hints for the Zillertal, too!

Thanks,
Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i keep a box of nitrile gloves for working on the bike etc. they're available from your favourite online retailer megacorp and should be fine for medical use.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get individual items like gloves from larger chemists. Don't know whether vinyl gloves intended for medical use are of higher quality than those sold for food production or diy.

There are also several online suppliers of medical kit in the UK, have been given the addresses on first aid refreshers but can't find them right now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If its on the inside - lucozade
if its on the outside - germolene
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just grab a couple from the dispensers at your nearest petrol station... Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frankly, though I sometimes carry an extensive first aid /emergency /comfort kit (or not, depending on terrain & location & isolation), gloves are bottom of my list if I'm planning only on aiding myself or known companions.
On a snowy mountainside, I'm also unlikely to be taking off my gloves, certainly inners, due to cold, wind, etc etc.
On a piste, I wouldn't even be thinking of trying to treat a decent bleeding wound (never mind near an eye), bar stopping or mopping up bleeding and offering temporary covering. If it needs more than a Compeed or small plaster or bit of Tubigrip, call Piste/Ski Patrol.
If PP not necessary, ski/board down and get back to accommodation, local clinic/doctor or find nice warm restroom with mirror and injured person can sort it themselves. Or see if on-piste first aiders have a nice warm hut.
But back to gloves - Boots, Superdrug, EBay, Amazon, various suppliers on Google...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, I have used the gloves in my first aid kit, it was for a pisteur to wear when treating me though.

Have also helped the piste patrol several times. Ski edges can make quite deep wounds that bleed out fast, there was a recent thread here on it and also saw an article here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i would say ask yourself "why do you want gloves"
if it's to protect you from what you are handling, then a pair of nitrile gloves from a box rolled up into your kit will probably do the job.
if it's protecting the 'patient/victim' from the dirt on on your hands/environment, then they probably need to be sterile & sealed individually.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, fair point. I hadn't thought that a Pisteur first aider wouldn't have their own. I suppose that I wouldn't be too bothered, either, as long as it was my bodily fluids, not theirs.
With fast or decent bleeders (yes, I had forgotten edges, and rocks and all sorts of other stuff), my instinct is that you just need to get pressure (and cold snow?) on them as quick as possible (what I meant by "mopping up" and "temporary covering"). I'd be more bothered about getting blood all over my clothing/scarf/gloves and whatever else I could grab quickly to stem and mop up that. Probably not got huge amounts of time to de-glove, de-rucksac and furkle around for the pressure pads, gloves, etc, etc, in that case, either. If it's not requiring of an immediate blood mop-up, I'd just get myself or the 'casualty' to the nearest proper first aid post and get them to sort it.
Nitrile, etc, gloves are great in a nice warm, windless indoor treatment room with an easily-accessible first aid box on the shelf and the ability to be nice and clean and sterile. In the field, on a mountain, in snow etc, probably not so practical.
But that's just me and the mountain/climbing first aid training which I last did a fair while back. (Mind you, the advice back then was just not to bother treating anyone else you didn't personally know very well, in case they sued you. rolling eyes )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Duct tape and cling film for really bad situations (plus possibly a hastily removed thermal as a bandage) and call the chopper. Carry an InReach or equivalent if you're outside mobile coverage.

Most of the small first aid kits I've looked at are full of very small items that would barely cover a cut finger.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do not forget to pack a flask of rum...................
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arcsinice wrote:
Do not forget to pack a flask of rum...................
Sigh - that's what the St Bernard is for ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you for all your responses, they were really helpful. I won't forget the rum Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy