Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Alps in electric car

Poster: A snowHead
I would love to be in the market for an full ev (as it would work for most of the day to day stuff) but those figures would put me off for longer journeys ...
what assumptions do these calculators make?
We could barely make to the inlaws, where there is no charging in the locality (& no parking near the house) ... actually mayby that's a plus wink

not critising the Ipace but in general - Stopping for 40mins for every 1 1/2hrs driving is pretty rubbish in terms of usability (I imagine the charge/range figures don't allow for extra drag/load eg roof boxes)
& the costs stated there are more than fuel for my fully loaded (+roof box, 4adults) AWD estate at 80mph all the way. (i wouldn''t expect a free ride but something has to trade off the inconvenience)
coupling that with no decent sized estate cars yet,
so unfortunately not a lot to commend ev at this stage in the game - just not versatile or usable enough. hoping this will change.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is London to Verbier with 4 passengers, dog and roof box. All Ionity’s except the car park in Troyes where we stopped en route and used the charger only because it was in the best parking space. Most stops around 20 mins to add 50-60kWh. Charging the last 20 doubles the time (and not great for battery)

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Judwin, Ionity is very expensive!! 79p in the UK, but can drop to 30p if you take a subscription.

Have a play yourself with the app/website to plug in different speeds, weather conditions etc, it's pretty comprehensive!

Yeah charging within the tunnel would be superb!

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are driving to Val D'Isere in March in an iPace from Derbyshire. Taking an extra day each end to enjoy the drive rather than better down teh autoroutes. Hotels have been picked with chargers in both directions, and will see how much Ionity costs come March time.

The car's range is in excess of my bladder range as 2 recent trips to LGW have proven. New gridserve chargers in UK are a huge improvement, Rugby in particular was excellent.,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, ABRP seems to be saying only 100-110 miles on about 65% battery - is that right? If so, seems very low.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MorningGory wrote:
@Judwin, Wot's 'metal chicken'?

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/521854675542079107/

Bourg-en-Bresse motorway service station - one of the better ones on the way from Calais to Lyon - on the A39 roughly half way between Dijon and Lyon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It would, wonder if they don't because of the potential for battery runaway and possible fire?

Don't see it as a big material risk, but impact if one did could be quite bad.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@endoman, maybe worth looking at the Ionity Passport and hope they do a monthly sub by then! https://ionity.eu/en/access-and-payment.html

@jona there are a load of assumpitions I am still playing around with, inc a slider on less stops/more time charging vs trying to stay in the sweetspot of charging between 20-80%!

@snowdave, I don't quite trust the ABRP figures for the iPace yet and still playing around with various settings! If I turn off Ionity and change the avg consumption to what I've seen it changes! I've been told real world you can get 220-240 miles on a full charge. I guess that would drop if the temp was very very low!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 18-10-21 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and here is what it shows if I tell it to plan with less stops...

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, yep I have my eye on Ionity Passport. I use Chargepoint card in UK which gets it for 59p / kWh in UK. Shame the Maingau card no longer works, nor the jag charging that they had a year or 2 ago. France charge by time though so looking at different solutions there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did Chamonix to Brighton, in August, in a Tesla staying overnight in Troyes. Because we left our hotel in Chamonix fully charged, and charged at the hotel in Troyes, it meant that we only had to stop once, on the way to Calais, for a Tesla supercharge. Another charge while waiting for the Eurotunnel was enough to get us back to Brighton.

I've done the return journey to the Alps a couple of times now, in the Tesla, and I have to say that the Tesla automation makes driving on the autoroutes a breeze (although, it's possible that ICE cars with the latest tech provide a very similar experience. If you have adaptive cruise control plus lane assist, then that's almost as good as Tesla autopilot).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, I have never in my life come even close to having to queue for a supercharger space. Usually there are about 2 or 3 bays in use, out of 8 or 12.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Contrarian - thank you for encouraging post - looking really positive on taking Tesla this coming season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, so I've gone back over my recent motorway journeys over 26 miles, I'm averaging 36.47 kWh/100 mi including driving it "properly" which would equate to 230 miles full range and 185 miles to get to 80%. I suspect (and will find out tomorrow) with a 630am leaving that preconditioning the cabin temp and battery should improve that......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

It would, wonder if they don't because of the potential for battery runaway and possible fire?

Don't see it as a big material risk, but impact if one did could be quite bad.

I suspect the real reason will be commercial. They would rather you spent 30-60 minutes charging at Folkstone, whilst you have nothing better to do than wander around the [s]shopping emporium[/s] terminal building buying other essential tat.

I've also read somewhere that the reason LPG powered cars weren't allowed on the chunnel was because no-one had done the risk assessment. So extend that thinking to on train electric charging and all the trip hazards as people rush to the only working loo on the whole train past cables draped from the sides/ceilings and I think I know how that idea ends.
snow conditions
@Dippy, you're welcome.
latest report
Would be interesting to do the sums for how much extra power would need to be taken form the catenary in order to charge a typical (and peak) number of cars while in motion in the tunnel.
My guess is that the rolling stock is basically so ancient that it would need a complete refurb (probably by about 2030), or complete replacement.
And that's on the assumption that the catenary can handle the extra power. Anyone know how many kW go thru a pantograph?
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Anyone know how many kW go thru a pantograph?

Each Loco is rated at 7MW. Each Eurotunnel train has 2 locos (one each end) although I don't know if they are both powered at the same time. I was once told they are only allowed 4 trains in the tunnel at any one time, so by my reckoning the overhead cables can supply circa 30MW in each direction. The voltage is 25KV, so the current is about 1200A (although the line is probably sectioned so that all the power doesn't go through all the wire).
snow report
Blimey - and I thought my husband was a EV geek wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy