Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many kilometers can one ski in a day?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning everyone
Not for boasting but simple curiosity, how much did you ski on a "tops day"? I was all over the Grand Massif from first lift till the last eating while going up only snowHead and I clocked in 65 kilometers. Depends on the resort surely, I would imagine one can ski more in place like Monte Rosa. So, what was your max daily ski distance and where was it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done the ski circus circuit of Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Fieberbrun and Leogang a few times, that's 68km.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice! Have to do that some day. I thought Sella Ronda was big skiing distance, but it felt really relaxing. I've read some did it both directions in a day which would mean 80 kilometers more or less.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What were the weather and snow conditions like? Or maybe post in the piste or trip rep forum
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are those distances skiing only or include the lifts?

Resorts with the longest runs needing the fewest uplifts will be way to maximise skiing distance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
True, jirac18 - not the best choice for forum, but I don't see the way to move it now Puzzled Distances are skiing only, as measured by my app (Slopes).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conditions were very good, but no ideal this Thursday. Some icey snow in the early morning, then "heavy" snow between 1600 and 1100. Nonetheless I find it hard to imagine skiing significantly more in a day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
84km in the Ski Welt in 2015, back when I was fit and under 50 Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We always quoted the Portes du Soleil circuit as being about 85 kms, easily doable with a decent lunch.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some big numbers in this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3516499&highlight=#3516499
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wow! 100 in a day snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I will be in the Dolomites in 2 weeks then April in 3V: will try to beat my 65 kilometers record as it seems doable with different terrain/lift system.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The world record was done at KronPlatz, I believe.
One long, quick lift, few queues etc.

Ronald did the Sella Ronda three times in a day once one bash. He doesn't seem to stop or slow down much.

I've skied with a few guys on bashes who clock up some serious km in a day/week.

It all comes down to speed of lifts, queues and lengths of slopes really. You don't want steep.slopes either or you're not getting so many KM for your vertical.

Ideally you want a very long, wide blue, served by a very quick lift. Preferably one that's pretty much and access lift/slope so it's not
Busy for much of the day. I can see why.Kronplatz was chosen.

Any other resort/ run recommendations to get 100km in a day?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
epon wrote:

And more
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
150km probably on blues and greens but what a boring statistic, is this really a thing?
ski holidays
I clocked 90km (skiing only, another 70km of lifts) in Vail and that was a mixture of piste+off piste. Wasn't going for any records, but was only there for a day and on my own, so trying to see as much of the area as possible (ie. No repeated runs unless necessary). That also meant I was using singles lines to minimise lift quing times.
snow conditions
epon wrote:
I will be in the Dolomites in 2 weeks then April in 3V: will try to beat my 65 kilometers record as it seems doable with different terrain/lift system.

If you're going to the 3Vs then the 2020 3V Escapade is approx. 85km depending on the exact route. No repetition of lifts or runs. Plenty of people have done it this year as some of the previously slowest lifts have been upgraded. The 2016 version was 100km with two slow drag lifts in it.

With the extra half hour opening available in Spring, 100km and approx. 16,500m vertical is perfectly possible in around 7 hours. I reckon 18,000m vertical is possible if you're super keen - twice the height of Everest in a day.... Cool

https://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/escapade.html#fame
snow conditions
Thx for the tips !
snow conditions
epon wrote:
I thought Sella Ronda was big skiing distance, but it felt really relaxing.

Did the green sella Ronda yesterday. Bang on 50km total including lifts, with 2 warmup laps of the burz, and it's about 60% skiing, 40% lifts. It's not really that far at all. We left 11am, relaxed skiing, no rush at lunchtime, back before 4.

120km all in should be possible for any competent red run skier. It's the lifts and ski traffic and waiting for others in your group that eat up time.
ski holidays
How many kilometres per day were enjoyed might be a better stat?
Over 100kms total last Thursday. Arabba-Sta Croce-Arabba-Marmolada Glacier summit-Arabba. About 85-90kms enjoyed snowHead
latest report
Sounds like a plan, I’m staying in Colfosco and will go to the glacier this year Smile
latest report
When myself and Kooky did our big day it was first to last lift, top to bottom of the mountain both sides, eating in the gondola and one lightning quick loo stop. And I bet we skied a fair bit more distance than the Skiline print out as we were both on SL skis.
snow report
For anyone who is not aware
https://mydolomiti.dolomitisuperski.com/
Enter your ski pass number and it will tell you distance skied lifts used etc /day/week
ski holidays
I kind of reckon 200 kms is probs upper end.
snow report
Someone posted recently about sella been done 4 times in one day late in the season
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
Someone posted recently about stella been done 4 times in one day late in the season
Pints or halves?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 10-02-20 17:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I tried to work out our totals as Skiline gives the downhill distances but lists lifts as seperate in metres. Kooky had 137km ski distance but the lift distances still left her a touch short of a 200km total.
snow report
epon wrote:

That includes uplift so isn't real.

65km actually skied is easy to achieve somewhere like Courchevel which is loads of cruising.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa, plus I picked a day where there were no queues, if you are aiming for a big distance day it is virtually impossible in high season.
ski holidays
The Jungfrau All in One - all lifts in Murren, Grindelwald and Wengen in a day. 0810ish start, 1600ish finish. 37 lifts, 13147m vertical and 98km. Plus cable cars, trains and buses to get round the circuit.
snow conditions
@colinstone, given how slow the trains are, that’s impressive.
latest report
500km anyone? No ski lifts involved?

http://pistehors.com/xbA6NXEByuHDGsGA0XGZ/spring-of-record-attempts
snow report
Think the record for most skied is by a Canadian Chris Kent, at around 249 miles, 272 000 vert. feet Madeye-Smiley

Anyone not getting near this just isn't trying Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

kilometers

Do you mean kilometres?
ski holidays
Maximum 20kms in a day, enjoyed every moment, did a blue run, had a rest, then another blue and another rest.

Then a coffee break approx. 1 hour

Couple more easy blue runs

Then at least a 2 hour lunch

More easy blue runs

Coffee and cake to follow, then back to accommodation for a well earned rest

Saw a lot of very fast skiers skiing dangerously close to slower skiers on the blue runs, could they perchance have been those on here who were trying for maximum kilometres?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
We always quoted the Portes du Soleil circuit as being about 85 kms, easily doable with a decent lunch.

We did the loop with a snack lunch and some extra runs to clock a reasonably comfortable 100km once, mainly because we were almost done and someone noticed we weren't far off and all thought "Why not.".

On the flip side I managed to clock up a mighty 2.9km hurding, then skiing with beginner friends one day back in Feb Smile
latest report
Quote:

could they perchance have been those on here who were trying for maximum kilometres?

I can't imagine that for a moment.

(Anyway you don't need to ski that fast for 100k in a day (travel, not 100k actually skiing).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy