Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fashing 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. looking for advice for next yrs trip which unfortunately we have to go on school hols which is 15th-19th feb in Ireland. we would be traveling the 500 km from Frankfurt Hahn to Kleinwalsertal on the German Austrian border. I have done this trip before during low season but wondering are we mad to even think about going during Fashing week which as far as I can see is the same week. I think all schools are closed in Austria for the week but don't know about Germany. if both countries are off all week I assume it would be hellish both on the roads and the slopes? anyone out there skied during fashing week in Austria? any advice or suggestions welcome
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not hellish on the slopes. Busy with lots of people partying in fancy dress.

NB Fasching
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thank for the correction and reply. do you know if the German schools close for the week?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect some including Bavaria.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@garc, It depends on the region (Länder). For Bavaria and Baden Würtemburg half term week usually coincides with Fasching (Fastnacht in Baden Würtemburg, and Karneval in many other places). I would guess in the Cologne area half term is the same week as that coincides with the end of the Karneval festivities (which seem deadly dull from a southern German perspective but I guess they think the same about Oktoberfest!). In my experience Fasching week is the busiest of the season after New Year but it does vary from area to area depending on where the majority of visitors come from. I would guess the Kleinwalsertal will be busy that week as, I assume, the overwhelming majority of visitors will be from southern Germany (might be wrong). However I dont think that is going to have a major effect on the roads, maybe on the Saturday morning on the last section down from Kempten. If you are driving down from Hahn I would guess you would miss to worst of the queues by the time you get there. At the same time it is not the biggest ski area so I would think far less traffic than say near the Zillertal or Arlberg.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, thank you. on this https://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/2021/ its Bayern and Saarland only off but what I need to know is if all schools are off the week of fasching anyway, ie is it a holiday like xmas or easter? we could deal with just 2 regions off driving thru Germany but not all. we would be flying in to Hahn on the Friday about 17.30 and driving most of the way down that evening/night. then stopover and carry on the next morning . If we thought the roads were going to be bad we could go part of the journey like to Mannheim and get the train from there. Some regions in southern Netherlands schools are also off the same week .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@garc, Fasching week is usually very busy (in the link note that Baden Würtemburg doesnt have a specific week but most will take that week). Personally I would not worry too much, depends how allergic you are to traffic jams. I doubt there will be too much traffic on the Friday night certainly once rush hour is over, though many families do go straight off when school finishes on a Friday afternoon. Even so I would guess any holiday traffic would not be concentrated on the roads between Kaiserslautern and Kleinwalsertal. I am assume there are no Cork - Memmingen (or Friedrichshafen) flights?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, nearest connecting airport from Cork is Munich but they are for stupid money. think they were about 800 pp this year. Dublin airport which has Memmingen connection is 330km from us so as Kerry airport is only 60km it sort works out the same and the major factor is the Hahn flights are usually cheap at around 80 return even in school term.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy