Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French apartment

Poster: A snowHead
Hello
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Slightlybaldingginge, hello. Welcome to snowHeads
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome.

Lots of French apartments out there.

Serre Chevalier has some good deals.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm not sure what’s happened, I wrote a whole post but now all I can see is hello?!

Looking to buy an apartment in french alps as although we have only skied Switzerland and Austria so far, we cannot afford Swiss prices and father in law is french so hoping it might make the process easier?!

My daughters and I enjoy reds and will happily ski the blacks, the wife is very nervous as she broke her back a few years back but she likes to go hiking and cooks a bloomin good dinner!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Slightlybaldingginge, maybe start a new post in the 'Chalets and Apartments' forum? You'll get loads of advice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If buying, always buy above 2000m.

Protect against global warming for the next decade.

Try Tignes, La Plagne, or Val Thorens.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The problem with buying that high is it takes a long time to get to anywhere else, plenty of resorts have gondola up to ski areas from lower down
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robs1 wrote:
The problem with buying that high is it takes a long time to get to anywhere else, plenty of resorts have gondola up to ski areas from lower down

This is good advice for getting value. Le Châble for example is at 830m but the gondola has you up at 2200m in 18 minutes. I’m sure there are villages like this below the big French resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Choose a high resort as suggested and enjoy the area rather than worry about ease of getting to other resorts Tignes or 3V plenty big enough to keep you busy
Over 2k metres will future proof your investment
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
robs1 wrote:
Presumably those gondolas will also take you down the valley from your higher altitude village?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OP - The Forum platform software throws a wobbly if there are (a) any errors in your tags (e.g. {/URL] instead of '[/url]' because you pressed SHIFT by mistake) or (b) if there's a foreign character (like an 'é') in a URL address. The result is that the post goes blank. Take a look at your text and see if this is the case.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 29-02-20 21:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LaForet wrote:
OP - The Forum platform software throws a wobbly if there are (a) any errors in your tags (e.g. {URL] instrand of '[' because you pressed SHIFT by mistake) or (b) if there's a foreign character (like an 'é') in a URL address. The result is that the post goes blank. Take a look at your text and see if this is the case.

Using iPhone emojis also blanks any text after it
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite a few new build appartments in Montalbert La Plagne at the mo. https://www.eneo-immobilier.com/en/
We bought there as only a 10 min drive up from the valley, and now a hi speed Gondola up to 1970m best of both worlds.

mid range like this one https://www.eneo-immobilier.com/en/properties-sale/apartment-3-rooms-la-plagne-montalbert-462274.htm?visite_virtuelle=1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Using iPhone emojis also blanks any text after it

Not just iPhone - any emojis other than the snowheads phpbb emojis destroys the post following them Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, 1/4 mill and nowhere to put a sofa!
latest report
Quote:

mid range like this one

Mid range at 1/4 million for 42m2 - that is almost 6000 euro per m2.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Quite a few new build appartments in Montalbert La Plagne at the mo. https://www.eneo-immobilier.com/en/
We bought there as only a 10 min drive up from the valley, and now a hi speed Gondola up to 1970m best of both worlds.

mid range like this one https://www.eneo-immobilier.com/en/properties-sale/apartment-3-rooms-la-plagne-montalbert-462274.htm?visite_virtuelle=1

Where does that tip out at the top near Aime le plague?
latest report
@robs1, At Fornelet then one lift up to Aime 2000
https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/webcam-montalbert-fornelet
ski holidays
@johnE, Didn't say it was cheap... but they are selling, mainly to the French
Theres an old derelict barn for conversion in the centre of the village no parking or access road. €2 million.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@boredsurfin, 1/4 mill and nowhere to put a sofa!

There are quite a few apartments in Belle Plagne for a lot less than that, more like 4-5000 euro per square. Over 2000m , good access to piste , convenient for Les Arcs and the Glacier as well
ski holidays
I can’t see your wife being happy about buying at 2000+ meters, very little hiking in winter at that hight.
Remember it a 2 season purchase, so look at summer activity.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
@robs1, At Fornelet then one lift up to Aime 2000
https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/webcam-montalbert-fornelet

Cheers
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:

Low resorts get heavy rain and stay green for most of the ski season.

With global boiling, that is only going to get worse in the future.

Nothing will make you more miserable than spending €200k and then looking up the hill and seeing other folks partying in a white winter wonderland, while you're stuck in the boondocks getting flooded by a rainstorm.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
robs1 wrote:

Low resorts get heavy rain and stay green for most of the ski season.

With global boiling, that is only going to get worse in the future.

Nothing will make you more miserable than spending €200k and then looking up the hill and seeing other folks partying in a white winter wonderland, while you're stuck in the boondocks getting flooded by a rainstorm.

I didnt sat buy in a low resort but in a lower part with a gondola to get up to the snow, yes it's great to be able to ski back to your door but many high resorts are pretty soulless places with not much going on unless you like spending every night in the same couple of bars, Also the supermarkets are much dearer.
We are staying in St Gervais les bains for 11 wks this time and not been able to ski down to the bottom once, but last sunday we had a picnic by the lac du passy in 21 degrees sun and in ten mins we are on the motorway within easy reach of lots of places, As much as I love skiing it's nice to do the odd day of something else
Each to their own of course.
ski holidays
OP: When you say that you can't afford Swiss prices, do you mean that the £/m² for a Swiss apartment is significantly higher than for the same apartment in France, all other things being equal? Or are you saying that the basic cost/person of skiing in Switzerland is higher? Or both?

I ask because it's always hard to normalise ski property prices, even in the same country, because a lot of the £/m² is dependent of factors such as the length of the ski season; what type of resort it is; age of the property; distance from lifts; quality of public transport links etc. A 'Premier' resort in any country is going to cost a lot more m² than a secondary or satellite resort.

And re. 'going lower': what most people mean is have you considered buying somewhere in the valley, nearer to other amenities, and then driving to ski resorts in that area? Come the summer, for example, you might prefer to be in a lower location, because other activities are on offer. So for example, if you're a keen cyclist, then you might decide that this is as important as access to skiing, and thus opt to be in a valley location that has a lot of summer cycling routes nearby. This might not apply to you, but it's a reasonable question.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 1-03-20 15:30; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
You don't even have to live in the valley and drive. Serre Chevalier has villages as 1200, 1350, 1400 and 1500m, all have lift access to the domain. All are great places to stay in summer too.
ski holidays
As many people have said, it all depends what you intend to do with your apartment. We spent up to four months a year in ours, at most times of year. Late spring (with the flowers) and autumn (with glorious autumn colours) were amongst the nicest times to be there, but we just looked out at mountain scenery and a few local chalets which were occupied all year round. Ski resorts are mostly closed at those times and we'd NOT have wanted, "between seasons" to be located either in a high mountain resort, surrounded by shuttered apartments and closed shops OR down in a valley full of traffic fumes, needing a car ride to get out into the country. The valleys can also be very miserable during high-pressure times in winter, cold (temperature inversions) and polluted at times when the mountainside can be up above the cloud and smog. But we did have a piste alongside the apartments, so access to the slopes, even just for a couple of hours out when the weather was less than conducive, was easy. We could ski just out of the door, or go for a mountain or forest walk just out of the door (the apartment was at 1550m). There are advantages (and snags) to all locations - they need careful thought and it's important to visit, if you can, outside the main tourist seasons.
snow report
People who have visited a high ski resort out of season probably have little idea of just how dismal they can be.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd agree with @pam w about visiting any prospective locations in the 'low' seasons (spring and autumn). Perhaps talk to the local Tourist Office about the summer season (defined pretty much by the lift opening/closing dates) and any activities and amenities. Some resorts are putting a lot of effort into expanding summer activities, others not so much, if at all.

There are a lot of threads on buying with the usual generic recommendations and a lot of good advice. We all tend to talk about the areas in which we've bought our places, naturally. This is helpful but I'd be careful - we all buy for a different mix of reasons. What I would advise is not to go into any immobiliers randomly or too soon in the process. Do your research and think about why and where, and perhaps do one or two tours of candidate areas (in low season). Only once you've narrowed the targets down a bit should you go into an estate agent. You'll then have a much better set of requirements to give them. And certainly, do not go through a UK agency: if a French person wanted to buy in the UK would you recommend they go through a French immobilier?
snow conditions
We bought in Tignes Val Claret last year (we were actually in the market for 18 months before buying because we knew exactly what we wanted, so we waited for exactly the right property to come up, it was the only one we viewed in person), we wanted to future proof our investment as much as possible. Whilst other people may have different thoughts and feelings on that matter it is the right choice for us and that's all I care about.

We've visited high resorts out of season and whilst they can be a bit rough and ready around the edges I'm not really bothered, if i'm there out of season all I care about is that there aren't so many people about. We can go hiking and there aren't loads of people everywhere - perfect. We have a busy BnB and it suits me to have time away from people, things and distractions- so I love it.

Ultimately you need to know what you want, why you want it, where you want it and how much you're prepared to get it - figure all that out and you'll be alright.
snow report
And - an added complication - if renting your place out is on the agenda, think about what renters will want, and how your place will fare - especially out of the key holiday periods. Most of the time, in most of the Alps, there is an excess supply of accommodation. The costs - both financial and hassle - of renting are considerable, and the people who are best at it put in a lot of effort.
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

People who have visited a high ski resort out of season probably have little idea of just how dismal they can be

Or how nice. I find the out of season time in arc1600 very pleasant - nice quiet walks, seeing what changes are being made to the resort, visiting the only open restaurant for lunch or a beer.
Quote:

The costs - both financial and hassle - of renting are considerable, and the people who are best at it put in a lot of effort.

I put almost no effort in at all. The agent does all that (and takes a sizable cut). Put simply, I sign a form every year allowing them to rent it out and say what weeks I want it for and hey presto a couple thousand euros appear in my bank account at he end of the year. OK it doesn't quite cover the running costs, but it is a lot better than just letting it sit idle unoccupied, unused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy