Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best selection of green runs near Les Houches

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

We are heading off to Les Houches on 6th March with another family, both dads are experience piste skiers and the 3 boys (8,10,& 11) will take on all blues plus the easier reds. The challenge we have is the 2 mums, one is very nervous having broken her wrist previously and the other pretty new to skiing.

We have been to the Chamonix area 3 times now and have found the best area to be Les Houchess the green run at the top suits the 2 mums, they get the top of the mountain experience and the green run has a chair lift rather than a button lift. We did try Flegere but the mums found the narrow section at the top to access the green run daunting.

We will probably spend some time at Les Houches but would like to find an area with a better selection of green runs so the mum are not stuck on the same slope all day.

Can anyone recommend an area the fits the bill? We have a car so don't mind a 30-40 minute drive from Les Houches.

Thanks

Neill
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Green runs tend to be mountain roads with not enough gradient. Gentle blues a better objective. But if the Flegere green was daunting, perhaps the Thermal Spa is a better idea?

My underlying point is that stations tend not to try and put "green" runs in as there is little appetite for them. The Flegere one is a blue in any other location.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some decent green runs and gentle blues in st gervais, they are a decent length too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A green in Les Houches ? La Verte des Houches!

Just back from the World Cup (Slalom) and they'll do a parallel Giant race there tomorrow.

Ok just joking, it's called Verte but is more of a black piste.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to Le Tour and stay at the bottom. Few gentle runs, wide and fairly long.

I can see why the flegere section at the front of the gondola scares someone that is willing to spend time in a green run really. That said, that green run is awesome for learning and/or tricky advanced drills.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have look at combloux may have to be drags but lovely area and probably perfect for the rest of the party
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robs1 wrote:
Some decent green runs and gentle blues in st gervais, they are a decent length too.

I did look at piste map for st G, it does look to have a lot of green runs but never ski there before, I will do some more investigating
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Green runs tend to be mountain roads with not enough gradient. Gentle blues a better objective. But if the Flegere green was daunting, perhaps the Thermal Spa is a better idea?

My underlying point is that stations tend not to try and put "green" runs in as there is little appetite for them. The Flegere one is a blue in any other location.

Thermal Spa?.. sorry I forgot the slopes were reserved for the elite skiers, my bad.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think le tour is a reasonable shout. You have the vormaine area at the bottom and then the first runs off the chair up the top are nice wide open blues with no steep bits. Ok restaurants as well. I like Passon in the car park.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes Le Tour not a bad shout, we did that last time at the start of the holiday but the mums confidence was still low so they didn’t want to go up and to be fair it was January and quite icy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Neillp, not at all, but, green runs are generally truly flat
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another shout for La Vormaine at Le Tour, if you don't mind driving to the other side of Cham. A day there will build up confidence pretty quickly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
StG looks good using Lanches, Pierre and Chateluy they would have a nice little tour to do. Hopefully this would give them the confidence to do blues like Source and Fenils.

What is parking like at StG?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neillp wrote:
StG looks good using Lanches, Pierre and Chateluy they would have a nice little tour to do. Hopefully this would give them the confidence to do blues like Source and Fenils.

What is parking like at StG?

700 at the st G gondola itself but I guess that will fill up pretty quick at this time of year but the free bus service is pretty good if you look at the routes you can find a space on the road and bus in
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Neillp, lessons with a good instructor perhaps?
ski holidays
@under a new name,

Private lessons planned on the first 2 days in Les Houches, hopefully that will overcome the confidence issue. Real shame as my wife was a good blue run skier until she broke her wrist (mountain biking double fracture and now has a nice scar and titanium plate to show for it).
ski holidays
@Neillp, good. Totally understand and sympathise. Confidence is a strange and unpredictable thing. Good luck.
snow report
Greens in St Gervais mostly actually skiable compared with some places - in other words downwards rather than flat. If I remember correctly, the only really irritating flat bit was the connection between Pierre and Chateluy.

And the same applies on the Megeve side of the ridge, though some of that has a bit too much south in its aspect to stay nice all day. In fact you could even cross to Rochebrune and ski the green back down from the Caboche lift. Cross your fingers the feeling of doing a decent tour gives the ladies the incentive to move on to blue runs.
snow report
There is a beginners area in Les Houches that isn’t the standard ski area, I’m not sure the name of it but it’s close to town centre and looks pretty decent to practise. Probably way cheaper than going up as well.
ski holidays
@Gustavobs, le torchet
latest report
@Gustavobs, I think that's near the ice rink on the Cham side of the town.
latest report
tarrantd wrote:
@Gustavobs, I think that's near the ice rink on the Cham side of the town.

Are you thinking of Les planards which is the one near town or the savoy near the Folie douce hotel. Both good options if snow permits. Savoy good for meeting if others ski Brevant. Planards not connected to anywhere else.
ski holidays
@j b, Thanks Will look into those runs, the idea of a small tour is what I am after.

@under a new name, Le Torchet, been there! we nicknamed that the slush bowl, more like water skiing at times LOL!

@Gustavobs, We really want to ski in the same area so we can have lunch together etc, that is why the green run at the top of Les Houches has worked so far. If I can get the mums up to it it then Le Tour has some easy blues.

The reality is that we would be better off in a different resort I know, but free accommodation in Les Houches makes the whole trip financially viable.

Thanks for all the advice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy