Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coronavirus - Les Contamines

Poster: A snowHead
Radio Val D'Isere reporting the Tourist Info Office has been inundated by questions re the outbreak in Les C. They are quite scathing about social media spreading rumours and false truths - such as drinking alcohol reduces the risks of contamination.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, on the social media rumours side a friend of a friend of a friend of Macron’s tennis coach’s chef said he heard muttering about Le Contamines and the Force de Frappe...

http://youtube.com/v/aCbfMkh940Q
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone else think that the "super spreader" who met Wuhanese at Singapore, has infected at least 5 in France and 2 in UK is one of those dreadful people who invades others' spaces? Who is always that bit closer than most people are in social and work situations? Hate it!

And don't be always so close in a lift queue that you are always nudging my rucksack either - it makes me feel travel sick!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scrumpy wrote:
Anyone else think that the "super spreader" who met Wuhanese at Singapore, has infected at least 5 in France and 2 in UK is one of those dreadful people who invades others' spaces? Who is always that bit closer than most people are in social and work situations? Hate it!

And don't be always so close in a lift queue that you are always nudging my rucksack either - it makes me feel travel sick!

No!

How would you cope on the Central or Piccadilly lines in rush hour!?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 10-02-20 11:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bit harsh on that guy - all bar a couple of the people who seem to have been infected by him were staying in the same apartment (Inc another one of the Brighton cases confirmed today). It's not surprising that they would be likely to have caught it.

Without releasing his detailed travel history though it will be really hard to identify contacts. So far all we know is that he was in the apartment, on that easyJet flight from Geneva, and in a pub in Brighton.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ozboy wrote:
jedster wrote:
Just heard that all thes tests were negative - it hasn’t spread in Les C.
Awaiting confirmation but sounds like the drama is over folks

Le Dauphine updated this morning that they are still waiting on 25 results. 21 are back as negative. Let’s hope your source is more up to date.

https://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2020/02/09/coronavirus-les-38-francais-rapatries-sont-arrives-a-londres

Yes - I want confirmation but the information I have comes from a friend phoning the mayors office this morning.
Always a risk of miscommunication or over-optimism so let's see.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
4 more cases just announced in the U.K. who all came into contact with the ‘super spreader’ in France. Although very sad and devastating to those affected it’s interesting to see how these things spread - which I assume is how the normal flu spreads through circumstance and bad luck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meanwhile more people have been killed on the roads, as happens every day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scrumpy wrote:

No!! That's a completely unfounded assumption.

Anyone can spread something like this - perhaps via surfaces, maybe through coughing and sneezing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They have now closed a school in Thonon which the infected 9YO boy from LC visited on 31 JAN.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like they are trying to trace people on the flight back from gva on the 28th Jan.

https://www.planetski.eu/2020/02/08/five-british-skiers-go-down-with-coronavirus-in-french-alps/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our friends who live in Les Contamines and have a child in the class of one of the British kids just all came back negative. Think this is now about 50% of the test results back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, Nothing heard back yet - hope your friend's child is OK? Its worrying as they were able to get 21 results back last night but seem to be delayed on the other 25 which leads me to thinking they are doing re-tests or going through a notification process.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I blame this euro penchant for kissing upon greeting and leaving plus that nasty British habit of shaking hands wink .

Above is tongue-in-cheek but you can see how easily bugs can spread even with no outward symptoms.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2020/02/10/coronavirus-le-point-ce-lundi-matin

Relief all round
latest report
@Debbie151515, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

@halfhand, even if you keep your tongue in your cheek?
ski holidays
Thank you for the updates on here.
snow report
Great news for all involved.
latest report
As the article says, a great relief: for the village/town and wider region as well as generally for those monitoring virus transmission.
ski holidays
@Scrumpy, maybe he is a close-talker...

http://youtube.com/v/12ngQixZ4II
snow conditions
Although it doesn’t matter to my finances, as someone with some ties to Les Contamines I feel real relief for all those people who earn a living there. Whatever you do for money in a ski resort you live a slightly tenuous financial existence with your income impacted by snowfall, weather and exchange rates. You really don’t need ramped your fears of a virus outbreak on top!

As I’ve said in this thread and the apres ski one, the risks of corona virus infection were always going to be greater on public transport in the UK than in an alpine village.

Feels like the French authorities have handled this very well and yet some of our friends will probably have less to spend this year as a result of the headlines. It’s that direct.
snow report
Well .. based on all the news and links in this articles (thanks to all!) my family and I will still be going - arriving this Saturday for a week.

I guess given that all the tests are coming back negative I would think that people in a similar situation to me (based in Les Cont. for a week) won't be put off, but I wonder whether the "day trippers" staying at other resorts might stay away? It's put Les Contamines on the map one way or another (in the UK, anyway)!

Also .. I wonder if the locals might be a little more wary of the native English speaker next week?! Maybe my Scottish accent might throw them though!
latest report
I don’t think you will notice anything different next week as I am also sure traffic in Brighton will be jammed as usual.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 11-02-20 15:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I’m 10k down the road and there is zero talk about this in the village
ski holidays
Hi all, 1st posting since joining up, as this topic, specifically its effect on Les Cont.Montjoie is of particular interest to me and my wife. We love to stay there, ski and walk the mountains depending on the time of year.
As to how Covid-19 has affected the number of visitor/skiers/local economy, I frequently view the C/MJ webcams and the massive queues at the two main lift bases up to and especially yesterday (Sunday) would suggest the effects are minimal, thankfully.
Thanks all those with local knowledge for your input. Especially the link to the local paper report (above).
My wife is due to go out there next Sat.
So let's hope the situation is as under control as it appears at the moment.
Fingers crossed, all round.
snow conditions
Looked again just now.
Massive q. at 0908hrs the TC leLay telecabines caisses view.
snow conditions
I'm in Les contamines this week and can confirm large lift queues first thing! So effect appears minimal.

Also there appears to be minimal impact on the "don't wash their hands" brigade at the toilets up on the mountain - so doesn't look like some men are more worried about hygiene now! I tend to carry antibacterial hand gel anyway (even before the outbreak).

I haven't seen any signs/impact in the village about it either, and everyone seems to just be going about their life as before.
latest report
Plus ca change!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m in Val d’I with my children. Today on a lift we sat next to an old chap who turned out to have arrived from Singapore 10 days ago. A retired oncologist who said Corona virus was all a fuss over nothing. He did take it in good grace when I pointed out that perhaps a virologist or epidemiologist would be a little better in this situation than an oncologist.... Anyway he said it was quieter than usual in his opinion. Car parks have empty spaces. But the weather today wasn’t great so that’s probably more the driver.

We shall see....
snow conditions
We are in La Contamines this week and it's been business as usual as far as we have seen. Queues are there, not much space in the public car parks to be seen...
ski holidays
Probably a very wise stance to take under the circumstances.
Not to get into a "hissy, spitty argument" in close proximity to someone who has just returned from S. E. Asia!
Save that for Internet chat rooms, where intolerant knee-jerk insult slanging matches truly belong. Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
(or so it would appear, this room excepted of course).
Give my regards to La Daille, our combined families loved it. That Lady's Downhill run really rocks.
Enjoy!
ski holidays
And yet we all ignore influenza ...
snow conditions
@under a new name, primarily, I think, because there is usually a vaccine for it which can keep the numbers catching it in some sort of limit. I have read that present measures are to buy time until a vaccine is developed and brought into use.
latest report
@achilles, the number of people dying from complications arising from influenza is way higher than fatality rates arising from corona virus, regardless of the flu vaccine.
ski holidays
@achilles, flu deaths,

“ The common flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization ”

https://www.globalresearch.ca/flu-bigger-concern-wuhan-virus-grabs-headlines/5701932
snow conditions
Be careful with mixing numbers and rates, severity and stats.
If you are using "severe cases" that's not the same as symptomatic numbers or even total infections. This applies to influenza and to this Covid-19 infection.
The ECDC reckon Seasonal influenza causes 4 -50 million symptomatic cases in EU/EEA each year, and 15 000 – 70 000 European citizens die every year of causes associated with influenza.
That's a rate of 0.1 to 0.4% but because the numbers infected are so great, the number of deaths attributable to annual influenza is much higher than from Covid-19 (so far).
However it would appear the death rate is higher for Covid-19 infections.
This could change, as by no means is all the data is in yet.
Today's BBC article from the Chinese CDC newest study report show:
The findings put the overall death rate of the Covid-19 virus at 2.3%.
China's latest official figures released on Tuesday put the overall death toll at 1,868 and 72,436 infections.

Enough of the pedantry from me;
Have a great, safe time on the slopes,
And watch out for those 2 y/olds on sledges!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy