Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coronavirus - Les Contamines

Poster: A snowHead
@zedzed_uk, am also looking to the positives and that maybe half term might be quieter!
Seriously though, like you, I will be travelling with 2 children so it's not just me to think about so checking for updates. The local news website https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie looks like it's regularly updated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We head out to Saint Gervais on Monday & our apartment is up by the school so will be interesting
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My fatter half says that Londoners are beginning to don the medical mask.

They've been doing it Japan for ages, perhaps it's time we caught the habit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Let's face it, the biggest threat of contamination is on an aircraft not the resort you are going to. I'm travelling back to York next week, I am mildly concerned about going thru GVA and being on an aircraft but not about going to the small city where the first UK outbreak occurred.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marodo2712 wrote:
My fatter half says that Londoners are beginning to don the medical mask.

They've been doing it Japan for ages, perhaps it's time we caught the habit.

Unless you wear a proper air tight mask you are wasting your time with the rubbish ones you see people wearing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robs1 wrote:

Unless you wear a proper air tight mask you are wasting your time with the rubbish ones you see people wearing

Apparently that's not the case - in general the simple masks might not be particularly effective barriers to aerosol virus particles, but they're good for stopping hand to mouth transmission (i.e. if you're wearing one you're very much less likely to unconsciously touch your mouth and transfer an infection on your hands).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like @belette we picked up a cold with a persistent cough a week or two after being in Les Contamines. The difference was that we left before the guy later diagnosed in Brighton arrived.

The case today led to much family chat (wife is a virtuoso hypochondriac) which was inconclusive. We realised how little hard information there is in the news articles - though to be fair I am sure there are professional epidemiologists working to get that information. For example how do we know the Brighton patient didn't acquire his infection in Les C rather than Singapore a couple of days earlier? It sounds as if the cases in the news today had no clinical symptoms justifying testing, they were only picked up through contact tracing. If most cases of the new infection are mild and transmission is so easy it may have spread beyond the original Chinese origin before movement restrictions were put in force. While if so many more would be at risk, it would also mean the serious cases needing hospital treatment (and in some cases dying) are a very small minority - and the sparse information does suggest that most are those with predisposing problems that would similarly cause susceptibility to flu. (Though I agree with @DavidYacht that the case of the original Chinese doctor is worrying because there was no mention of other risk factors). Spread in a ski resort would be to people self-selected as at least moderately fit, and cases might then be expected to be mild.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If skiers think there is a killer death zombie virus in the lifts, ski resorts will empty faster than you can count to 10.

If you run a business in the Alps, you need to prepare (now) for a sharp downturn.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
If skiers think there is a killer death zombie virus in the lifts, ski resorts will empty faster than you can count to 10.

If you run a business in the Alps, you need to prepare (now) for a sharp downturn.

And smaller queues for the rest of us, win-win.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
j b wrote:
For example how do we know the Brighton patient didn't acquire his infection in Les C rather than Singapore a couple of days earlier?

News coverage suggests he was at the business conference at the Grand Hyatt in Singapore where a number of other people contracted the virus. So that seems the most plausible explanation.

We should probably be mindful of the fact - this chap, and the affected family could be Snowheads themselves and might even be reading this thread!

Just in case - I'd like to wish them a speedy recovery!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think I’ll just pull my snood up a bit further
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sore throat accompanied only by dry irritative cough can't be a reason to worry. Differential diagnosis will only start when fever above 38° appears.
It's winter time, people might get viral infections and sometimes infectious respiratory ones that will require an antibiotic, without corona virus being present.
Most of us can't quarantine ourselves for 14 days without exposing house members which on their turn can't quarantine themselves.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We should be off to Les Contamines on Saturday 15th Feb, I guess if there is an outbreak we will not be going. If you have any info please post it on this thread. Thank you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bodeswell wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

And smaller queues for the rest of us, win-win.

My thinking too, I think the whole mont blanc unlimited area isa t risk wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The director of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is concerned.

Quote:

Britain could suffer a “major outbreak” of the coronavirus, which is likely to become a pandemic, according to the microbiologist who co-discovered ebola and the presence of Aids in Africa.

Professor Peter Piot, director of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, said he was “increasingly alarmed” by the rapid spread of the virus and the “huge” number of cases emerging daily....

....The outbreak is unlikely to peak until the end of this month or in March, he said. A vaccine is also “unlikely” before the outbreak ends, he added. There is no cure.

As I am of (ahem) a certain age, and have care responsibilities for someone far more vulnerable than myself, I shall watch this one closely. If the virus becomes widespread in the UK or France I shall consider the risk of infection during travel, let alone at resort, too high - and I shall bin my skiing.
ski holidays
On my way back from Singapore now, have to take my temp every day for next 14 days and report it back to the authorities there. It was checked at hotel and on entry to the training centre I was using. Lots of hand rub available which I think is most important. They are taking steps here, but not quite sure if it's anything other than being seen to do something. At least I know what my temp is now!
snow report
Someone else picked it up in Les Contamines and came back to the UK...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51430654
snow report
AndrewBailey wrote:
Sounds like Singapore has got some serious corona virus issues. Given public health is taken very seriously there it seems very strange no news has come out. We lived there until recently and friends have said all is normal. Very strange.

On the resort point / am glad I am going self catering for half term!

My brother arrived back in Heathrow from Singapore this morning after a month long tour of Asia. Despite being screened at every airport and port on his travels there was absolutely nothing going on at Heathrow. Nothing. Does Boris know something we don’t?!!!
ski holidays
As an aside, can someone confirm please if the pump dispenser hand washes are readily available in French supermarkets? We’re heading out there next week. Thanks

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-02-20 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@bambionskiis,
Quote:

Does Boris know something we don’t?!!!

No he's trying to reduce the population as part of austerity Smile
snow report
bambionskiis wrote:
As an aside, can someone confirm please if the pump dispenser had washes are readily available in French supermarkets? We’re heading out there next week. Thanks

Could use some strong Génépy!
snow report
frejul wrote:
Could use some strong Génépy!
Very Happy it does seem like that when you try some, doesn't it.

I suppose, joking aside, that's where surgical cleaners have come from. Previously unbeknown to the French, they may have an immunity when partaking. Very Happy
snow report
Had to google genepy - sounds yummy
latest report
As part of our trip next month we are bringing back many bottles of Genepi for junior endos wedding reception. Love it, it's compulsory on our trips.
snow report
If there was ever need of proof that you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet there it is.
latest report
We have poured the last remaining genepi we have into a hip flask to pack - was thinking for drinking, but not thought of cleaning / disinfecting with it.

@bambionskiis, on a serious note can't imagine pump soap wouldn't be in French supermarkets as they are enourmous, although if you're relying on resort ones they are smaller so I would pack some if you want it for definite.
snow conditions
Another tip is to get out of bed early and hit the ski lift when it opens, and then you can have the gondola to yourself for the first hour or two; sometimes for a lot longer. No need to have people sneezing all over you. As well as vastly nicer skiing Smile
ski holidays
Or worse depending on state of melt refreeze cycle.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or worse depending on state of melt refreeze cycle.....
snow report
always29 wrote:
We have poured the last remaining genepi we have into a hip flask to pack - was thinking for drinking, but not thought of cleaning / disinfecting with it.

@bambionskiis, on a serious note can't imagine pump soap wouldn't be in French supermarkets as they are enourmous, although if you're relying on resort ones they are smaller so I would pack some if you want it for definite.

Thanks allways. I tried googling to no avail. Yes I think I’ll pack Some. Cheers
ski holidays
Does Contamibes translate as contaminated?
ski holidays
https://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2020/02/09/coronavirus-les-38-francais-rapatries-sont-arrives-a-londres. Local press suggests that tests carried out on "dozens of residents" have been OK. Hopefully that'll be the end of it in Les C.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, yes. Yes it does.
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Does Contamibes translate as contaminated?

No. It makes quite a good joke in French though, better than in English, to get the pun all you have to do is add an accent "contaminés"
latest report
Talking to friends in resort who have a child in the class of one of the “local Brits” - about 100 people (school kids and families) were tested yesterday and should have results in the next 24 hours. It will be much clearer then if the virus has spread much beyond the effected chalet. It does sound like the guy who came back from Singapore was something of a “superspreader” but that doesn’t mean there will be loads of secondary infections. We shall see.

Six of us are due to arrive in Les C on Friday. Unless they quarantine the whole resort (not entirely out of the question) we’ll be going. I’m quite sure I’m more at risk now - standing on a rammed commuter train - than I or my family would be in LesC!

As we’ve booked car and paid for flights we may improvise to Italy if worst comes to worst...
ski holidays
Just heard that all thes tests were negative - it hasn’t spread in Les C.
Awaiting confirmation but sounds like the drama is over folks
latest report
@DavidYacht, thanks for the apology, as I was offended. And before anyone throws snowflake at me, try thinking about how it feels for those that are Chinese or East Asian, or looks sort of Asian with what is being thrown in their direction. I don't remember folks making jokes about or ostracising Americans during the swine flu, I wonder why?
snow report
“Public Health England is contacting all passengers who were seated in the vicinity of the customer on flight EZS8481 from Geneva to Gatwick on 28 January to provide guidance in line with procedures.”
ski holidays
the first 21 tests of people in Les Contas who came into contact with the five cases have come up negative...
https://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2020/02/09/coronavirus-les-38-francais-rapatries-sont-arrives-a-londres

On a different note, I was wiped out by a 2ish-year-old on a sledge this weekend. I just had time to think "this couldn't happen, it would be too absurd" and then I was arris over.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 10-02-20 10:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Just heard that all thes tests were negative - it hasn’t spread in Les C.
Awaiting confirmation but sounds like the drama is over folks

Le Dauphine updated this morning that they are still waiting on 25 results. 21 are back as negative. Let’s hope your source is more up to date.

https://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2020/02/09/coronavirus-les-38-francais-rapatries-sont-arrives-a-londres
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy