Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ciaramageddon?

Poster: A snowHead
Friends flight was due to land at Gatwick - now diverted to Manchester!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friend just reporting difficult landing at Manchester half an hour ago. First attempt aborted, second attempt down but scary. Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our flight is also cancelled, so we’re all here until Tuesday. Shame the weather forecast for tomorrow is so bad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of trees down around us and very bad flooding, crazy strong winds. Cars abandoned in floods.

One bonus - made it to the council tip and it was deserted, no queue!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A night in Chambéry for us and a few other plane-loads of people..... the joy!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
By son in law is out windsurfing - ok for some. Gusting 55 knots. And rising.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most of the BB extra-dayers have made it, some a bit late. Rabbie is the last I think, not sure how he's getting on!

Bristol looking nasty later....

temporarily valid from 13:00 UTC on the 9th until 18:00 UTC on the 9th
wind 260 degrees, 45 gusting to 60 knots
visibility 2000 metres
heavy THUNDERSTORMS, rain, hail
squalls
broken cloud at 800 feet
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Left sunny Chambery on flight to Birmingham. One attempt to land then diverted to Stansted. Been waiting three hours for news about transport to Birmingham.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All quiet down here...for now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Son's 10.30am flight from Turin now cancelled for the day; being bussed to a hotel for the night, hopefully within the next hour. Not sure about replacement flight yet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After nearly four hours at Stansted just heard that we have to wait at least another two hours for bus to Birmingham.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Who was it that said Planes fly in wind?

We're 20mins south of Gatwick and haven't heard a plane all day. Pretty sure Gatwick is shut.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gixxerniknik wrote:
Who was it that said Planes fly in wind?

We're 20mins south of Gatwick and haven't heard a plane all day. Pretty sure Gatwick is shut.

Yes, my son's 10.30 am flight from Turin was supposed to fly into Gatwick this morning, however he's still there with many others, awaiting a coach to an overnight hotel. C'est la vie!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were on the 10am Grenoble to Manchester Jet2 flight.
Quite scary!
After one go-around we circled Buxton for the best part of an our before having another go.

Quite a few passengers around us in tears and the guy across the isle spent most of the last hour in the brace position.

Second approach was a lot less bumpy, I guess the wind had dropped a bit.

Bags were waiting on the conveyor before we got through passport control, which was the quietest I've ever seen it.

Really sorry for all those who haven't got home yet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sailbad the Sinner, good planning by jet2 there, to have an hours holding fuel is beyond what is legally required. Fair play to them . But I do sympathise with those that get scared, it is easy to dismiss it as irrational. But the bottom line is the 2 guys at the pointy end want to get home in one piece!

That said I am sure there will be a few blood sucking lawyers looking for a case Twisted Evil
latest report
Pilots love these conditons..real flying !!
snow report
@chocksaway, I don't mind admitting I was pretty scared at times!

How much holding fuel is usually carried?
ski holidays
Still forecast to be pretty windy in Bristol and now blowing over here in France, what chance a second cancellation? Given that our “hotel near Chambéry “ is nearly in Geneva maybe we could just go there? Pretty please Hotelplan?
latest report
Apparently it's on its way here. The German train network is mostly closed. Not especially windy here yet.
snow report
I see that several people here have posted about flights back to the UK being diverted to other UK airports. At least they landed in the UK - the passengers on this BA flight from Geneva to Gatwick after being held in a holding pattern then two unsuccessful attempts at landing were diverted back to Lyon airport where they declared a fuel emergency to get landing priority , so after an eventful flight they ended up 61 miles from where they had set off from! They then had to wait 2 hours on the tarmac before they could get off the aircraft. Shocked
snow report
@Sailbad the Sinner, as ever with flying it could be a long answer, butv30 mins is the norm in most places.

@gilo, Strong southerly at Chambery, you might get your wish. Winds still strong at Bristol but right down the runway so there's hope outside of the showers.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, a bit breezy here in Gauting. Nearly got blown off my bike walking the dog this morning! All S-Bahns have shut down. Munich airport no starts or landings. They are not even allowing the service wagons out to the planes that have landed, so passengers have to sit in the plane for the next couple of hours.
snow conditions
We were supposed to fly Munich to Manchester yesterday afternoon, that flight was cancelled due to the storm in the UK. Our replacement flight (this morning) is now cancelled because the storm has reached Munich. Nothing leaving Munich till at least lunchtime it seems.
latest report
Still no storm in Salzburg. The streets are eerily quiet.
snow report
EasyJet just now “We are experiencing significant disruption due to Storm Ciara. Please keep an eye on flight tracker for the latest info.”
snow report
Sailbad the Sinner wrote:
@chocksaway, I don't mind admitting I was pretty scared at times!

30mins IIRC
latest report
My flight from Venice to Edinburgh managed to land at the second attempt after spending about 40 minutes in a holding pattern. Very bumpy approach on both attempts. Still all’s well that ends well
ski holidays
Storm Sabine about to hit Austria and southern Germany with 130kph winds forecast. Have had email from Austrian and Lufthansa airlines saying they will have major disruption and cancellations for next 48 hours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's now raining heavily in Salzburg and a bit windy, no disruption as yet, but I guess this is just the beginning.
ski holidays
Lifts closed here in Nendaz (4v)
ski holidays
grumpygargoyle wrote:
We were supposed to fly Munich to Manchester yesterday afternoon, that flight was cancelled due to the storm in the UK. Our replacement flight (this morning) is now cancelled because the storm has reached Munich. Nothing leaving Munich till at least lunchtime it seems.

And then the need to fit in extra planes to carry several thousand passengers backlogged from the last couple of days.
snow report
Chucking it down with Snow here in Glasgow. Glencoe filling up nicely. Always a silver lining.

My VCE to LHR yesterday was getting thrown around. About 60% of folk on Plane clapped.
snow report
The other 40% crapped?
snow report
@pam w, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Snowing quite heavily in Derby at the moment. If it continues I might be able to ski to my local park tomorrow! Toofy Grin
latest report
Sailbad the Sinner wrote:

I note that @chocksaway has already given you the correct answer in that like many aviation things, the full answer won't be short. A LATAM aircraft inbound to Heathrow did two touch and goes at the weekend and diverted to... Barcelona.

Minimum fuel will allow for missed approaches followed by a diversion to an alternative airfield. In practice, most aircraft Captains would look at conditions like at the weekend and load significantly more fuel than the legal minimum to give them flexibility. Never forget that the person making the final decision in matters like this is the guy sitting up the front and he/she won't cut corners. He/she wants to fly another day.

So, my alternative answer to your question is ... plenty.
snow conditions
Unless you are flying Ryanair who always carry the absolute minimum legal fuel quantity. Carrying extra fuel costs money.
ski holidays
Paul Holroyd wrote:
.... Ryanair..... always carry the absolute minimum legal fuel quantity.

Is that an established, verifiable fact?
latest report
I do not work for Ryanair but it is well known in the industry. I remember a day a couple of years ago when Malaga unexpectedly went out is fog. There were about 4 Ryanair aircraft inbound and they all had to divert to their nearest alternate airfield. The first one landed without incident but the others all declared fuel emergencies as by this time they were all very low on fuel.
ski holidays
@Paul Holroyd,

Thanks.
Sounds like the legal minimum is barely sufficient and ought to be increased.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy