Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift etiquette

Poster: A snowHead
hedley wrote:
The person in the big chairlift queue who turns round and looks at you like you have ‘just murdered their firstborn’ when the tip of your ski happens to touch the rear of their ski. + 1000 % if you accidentally trap the tail of their ski under your ski pole basket.

People who take a ride on the back of your skis, insist on getting as close as possible wink Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@twoodwar, Succinctly put.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Common sense may prevail, but how is a liftie who has never met you supposed to know that you are super smart and have tied all the straps up neatly or chosen one without straps..? I've seen them stopped and I've seen plenty of signs saying no backpacks to be worn.

I've worn ones myself and been asked to take it off on the odd occasion.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always used to wear a backpack when kids were small for extra layer etc, before I got off a chair I always shuffled forward and lifted my back to make sure it wasnt caught, never had an issue but mate got his caught once, luckily the strap broke, but he was always a clumsy sod so guess its paying attention that pays. I'm always the last one off a chair it's far easier than getting smacked in the face by flailing arms, poles or cut off by someone turning in front off you and if they fall over they dont drag you down
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear a low profile backpack when I ski. If I have my avy gear in it, then it does tend to protrude out a bit. But only when I ski outside of North America with it do I get the occasional, "Please remove your backpack" request.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In Les Arcs, I noticed pictorial signs telling you to remove your backpack and hold it in front of you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wear a pack and it's relatively low profile and I've only ever been asked to remove it on two chairs. It seems a very random upholding of the rules.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was recently in Utah and one day at Snowbasin I saw something that I've only ever seen in France. Not too big a queue for a gondola but 2 kids in the Snowbasin ski team got in a gondola, sat right at the door one each side and put their legs across the door up on the opposite seat to stop anyone else getting in. Liftie seemed to let them away with it but there was a good few comments and shouts from other people waiting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Backcountryboarder wrote:
Was recently in Utah and one day at Snowbasin I saw something that I've only ever seen in France. Not too big a queue for a gondola but 2 kids in the Snowbasin ski team got in a gondola, sat right at the door one each side and put their legs across the door up on the opposite seat to stop anyone else getting in. Liftie seemed to let them away with it but there was a good few comments and shouts from other people waiting.

Drop your ski in the rack and push your way into the gondola, they're only kids. Or if you cant get in remove your skis and a pair of theirs, take them up with you Toofy Grin

TBH not seen that happening before, but kids will always try and push boundaries.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bones, sadly, I was too far back in the queue.

I'm usually quite good at being forceful or calling out dicks like that.

I like your second option better Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The backpack thing is enforced in parts of the PdS (where the lad got killed).
Some lifts have different designs so there is less chance of an issue, but on other lifts there is a written sign and a pictorial representation saying "Take your back pack off".
The lifties cannot have some arbitrary rule like if it's under 25 litres, or if the straps are shorter than 40cm etc.. then it does not apply.
Where it is enforced they have do to it for everyone : "How come you didn't make him take it off?" etc..
Ultimately they are accountable for the safety of the users in the lift.
It irks me that people are arrogant enough to think that somehow it should not apply to them, and they act all indignantly when asked to take it off.
The needless stopping and starting causes queues to build and can be avoided if where there is a sign saying "Take your back pack off", people actually do it.
Same goes for putting the bar down, there's a sign and an enforcement camera at many lifts around Avoriaz. If the chair passes the camera and the bar is up, the lift stops. (Affecting all those already on the chair as well as those waiting to embark).
It's pretty simple (and considerate to other users) take your pack off, put the bar down, enjoy the scenery & have a nice day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's also pretty simple and considerate to others to take care that your pack doesn't snag anything and leave it on, pull the bar down, enjoy the scenery and have a nice day.
If the rule was applied and enforced where I ski then I'd comply - off course. When I've used the lifts to start a multi-day tour then I've removed my pack because its too bulky to do otherwise.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thollon were very strict about enforcing the backpacks off rule. I usually take mine off between skiing through the barrier and sitting down on the chair. At Thollon, they made sure I had taken it off even before the barrier even opened. Every time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Some lifts, where the configuration gives rise to problems, insist on removal of backpacks. Several people have been killed because backpacks have got caught up and impeded dismounting - reported on Snowheads. One lad on a school trip, a couple of years ago.

Happened to me last trip. I forgot i was wearing it, we don't usually have one. A nice small Osprey day pack we had just bought . Getting off, one strap with a plastic loop on the end had slid between the metal tubes making the backrest and seat of the chair, I ended up on my backside being dragged the full 180° to be facing back downhill . Fortunately the lifty was swift to spot it and stop the lift. It was embarrassing, nothing bruised but my ego, but could so easily have been much much worse. The bag held up completely , which is good, but I will never make that mistake again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
It's also pretty simple and considerate to others to take care that your pack doesn't snag anything and leave it on, pull the bar down, enjoy the scenery and have a nice day.
If the rule was applied and enforced where I ski then I'd comply - of course. When I've used the lifts to start a multi-day tour then I've removed my pack because its too bulky to do otherwise.

Its only considerate if the liftie does not stop the lift - which is out of your control.

I am sure people like you do / would comply if there were the relevant signage.

Here in the PdS there's plenty of times the lift gets stopped where people have ignored the signs, presumably their thought process is:
"because I have an AlphaPro-4000 pack with my Hero-probe and Titan-shovel, this does not apply to me, that rules applies to lesser skiers who are burdened with carrying sandwiches, phone chargers and spare clothes, I am an expert." and you see them muttering to their friends on the lift at the sheer indignity of it all.

Bell-ends.
snow report
Ionizingskin wrote:
Whitters wrote:
On the flip side to empty seats with a long queue, are people who insist in cramming in and filling the seats on a lift I'm getting on when there is no queue at all, rather than waiting 5 seconds for the next one.

Try that and just watch a group of school kids appear from behind out of nowhere.

You dont own the gondola. Its for sharing - other people paid for their pass too. If there's a free space it's fair game and you're in the wrong for thinking you have some kind of squatters rights.

Please get off your high horse. I did say when there is no queue.
latest report
I've always worn a bag, and never been asked to remove it.

Anyway, if I'm holding my bag in one hand and my sticks in the other, how am I going to eat my Grammelschmalz butty and Kaiserschmarrn?
ski holidays
@marodo2712, if you had seen the simple way my bag had got caught, you wouldn't wait to be asked. Stay safe out there. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
this thread needs to come to an end !!!!!! way too many negative vibes and whinging Evil or Very Mad please stop or maybe start a thread about the things you like about chairlifts , like how many nice people we've all meet on the way up and the great views Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Dabber, Puzzled

Nothing stopping you starting a new thread.
snow report
On Monday, Russian guy got one of his external backpack straps caught in the safety bar exiting a 6 pack at the Belvedere area on the Sella Ronda. He got dragged around for a few seconds until the strap broke. His pack was on his back. There's a good reason for rules...
ski holidays
@thecramps,

I read it and IMMEDIATELY decided not to wear it on the lift anymore.

but I'm still left with the Grammelschmalz butty and Kaiserschmarrn problem...
snow conditions
@marodo2712, Poles under thighs, bag on your lap...snack away with both hands to your stomach's content Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@marodo2712, @AL9000, or employ a man servant to feed you dainty mouthfuls when your ready Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@thecramps,

I was planning to glue a tea tray to my bag, but I like your thinking!

Anyone free week commencing 29th March...?
latest report
thecramps wrote:
@Dabber, Puzzled

Nothing stopping you starting a new thread.

nope there's not , and I probably shouldn't have said ought , as folk seem to like this sort of conversation , , so ill maybe just try and spread some love for the mountains here .

my tip for good chairlift etiquette would be to ask if people are ready to have the bar lowered then enquire how folks how there day is going and then hopefully enjoy a good chat about all things snow on the way up the hill snowHead
snow conditions
@Dabber, hmm...please don't talk to me on a chairlift. I love just sitting there quietly, looking at the scenery and chilling. I really don't want random people 'chatting' to me.
snow report
@holidayloverxx,

This suggests an irresistible opportunity to get on a chair lift, turn to your fellow travellers, and ask "Don't you hate it when people talk to you on the chair lift?", then pull the lid down and spark up a fag as they try to figure out what just happened.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Dabber, hmm...please don't talk to me on a chairlift. I love just sitting there quietly, looking at the scenery and chilling. I really don't want random people 'chatting' to me.
+1
latest report
smoking on a lift and whilst not a huge bugbear, I always seem to attract the single children learning to ski that random ski schools plonk next to me.
snow report
Is there a joke involving Jimmy Savile and cigars in there? @snow_badger,
ski holidays
I hate being stuck with moany skiers that want to moan about other skiers chairlift etiquette Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I love sneaking out a post beer & red wine fart in a cable car Twisted Evil
latest report
@Mosha Marc, so it's you! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I love sneaking out a post beer & red wine fart in a cable car Twisted Evil

I will openly admit to standing there giggling inside & feeling very proud of myself as the effects of the previous nights indulgence haunts the cabin.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:

Haha...I often don't want my friends chatting to me. The views, the sunshine, the silence. Wonderful.
snow report
Witnessed just about every offence to chairlift etiquette possible today! I’ve decided that whilst not innocent ourselves the British have very different cultural outlook to spacial awareness and the comfort of others to most Europeans in my experience. I know it’s a sweeping generalisation but it seems, based on today, the average french teenager gives zero to minus 100 f**ks about any other human being on skis or board!
ski holidays
@Bones, I would have barged in there and given them The Death Stare the whole way up, and probably teach 'em some "French" too. As for you, @Mosha Marc, karma will cause you to "blow out" your ACL, and we'll all be cheering!
ski holidays
Just avoid getting next to a Brit. Miserable bugs who complain about everything and go on internet forums to vent their anger.

Usually identifiable by using phrases such as 'people who insist' when they've witness somebody do one thing in their whole life.

Basically, get on lift, sit down enjoy the view.
snow conditions
I always try to strike up a conversation on a lift. Firstly it's interesting living somewhere with loads of tourists and finding out where they are from, and secondly if it's a one eyed miserable old stuck up local, it's loads of fun making them feel uncomfortable Very Happy

I also try to chat up international female ski racers who do a lot of off season training at my local. Had a crack at Lindsay Vonn once, but she wasn't keen Very Happy Not sure if it was anti snowboarder or anti slightly overweight middle aged loser prejudice behind that. I got over it pretty quickly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy