Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria resorts good for freeriding but not full of ski bums ;-) ?

Poster: A snowHead
Living in a small surf town in spain where schools aren't the best, we're looking to move to an Austrian resort with a reasonably good middle school for our son (will be 12 then). I've looked at the usual, St. Anton, Kitzbühel, Lech, Sölden etc. Am wondering though, if there are any smaller resorts that offer good freeriding while attracting more family style on-piste skiers rather than being full of ski bums that fight for prime positions on powder days. Should be high enough to get fair amounts of snow even with our warming climate temperatures. Fieberbrunn came to my mind, but I'm hesitant bc it's really low..? Any ideas appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@butterhead, most of Ski Amadé would fit those criteria. Real towns rather than purpose-built resorts, with schools and amenities such as Radstadt, Bad Hofgastein, St. Johann, Schladming, etc. and access to many ski areas all on the same lift pass. It works for me (although I'm a bit too old for school!).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fieberbrunn isn't really low. Even this winter most of Austria (mountain areas) has had snow to the valley since before Christmas.

However, as a famous FWT stop it's not short of angsty freeriders Wink

I know (a few) of the resorts you seek... but most of them are the little family ski hills most people think are too low for snow Wink And most of them it's unlikely you would actually want to live in the village at the lifts.

Questions:

- How's your/your son's German?
- Do you want to be in a ski village, or a town with lots ski areas nearby (in Austria region passes covering a bunch of resorts are common)

Some thoughts:

- Montafon (Schruns, Bludenz and Feldkirch are the villages you'd look at. They would all also work for skiing the Arlberg, but with the quieter pow day options nearby too)
- Schladming (loads of small resorts close by for no-stress powder days)

Mind I know nothing about schools!

But my opinion if you're looking for somewhere to live is to forget the big famous resorts, 'cos they all have get too many skiers for no-stress powder, and just look at any town you like that's covered by one of the area passes, and plan to ski the small one-lift-wonder resorts on powder days.

Sorry, that's not particularly coherently written. Long day...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow thanks for your input, very valuable! We'd like to be as close as possible to the lift but proximity to other resorts would obviously be great. Just don't want to drive an hour, skiing for a couple hours after school should be possible. I will definitely look into the places you guys mentioned! In regards to the language question, I am German and hubby is American, our son speaks English and Spanish as first languages and his German is basic but most schools near /in resorts offer an intro year where non German speakers get extra help and no grades until they pass the language test (they get a lot of non native speakers from seasonal workers in the resorts so they're prepared). So that wouldn't be a problem. The reason I chose Austria is that it should be German speaking, so I can work there... my French /Italian is rather non existent lol Very Happy and Switzerland is not in our price range unfortunately rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do like the "one-lift-wonder resorts"! And the "angsty freeriders" cracked me up hahaha Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well - Kappl in Paznautal could be an option:-) close to some major areas, but still not big enough to catch the eyes of the powderhounds. School in town, and highschool i Landeck:-)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe Klösterle, or a village close to it? You get Sonnenkopf, which is a pretty laid-back ski area, with heaps of side/off-piste possibilities, and on the same lift pass as the rest of the Arlberg. Might be a “best of all worlds”?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
re Fieberbrunn. I never bothered visiting as it seemed to be another small low resort, plenty of those around. Great for families in a snowy January or February not so good for others. However once the link the Saalbach was opened I did visit as it was a much easier trip from Munich. What I saw was the area between Fieberbrunn and the Glemmtal, mainly the big bowl below the Hochhörndl (?) , which gives the place (and Saalbach) a completely different dimension. You can see why it hosts the freeride World Tour. Off piste touring routes down towards Kitzbühel too. Even so it is still not that high, maybe 2000m or so, fine for January or February other times maybe not so much.

There was a recent discussion here about the best place to move to in the mountains, to live in not just in the ski season, much of it was dull and boring but a common thought was Innsbruck might not be too far from the ideal. As @clarky999 regularly demonstrates there is a lot of freeride / touring skiing nearby (some of it suitable for a quick run before starting work in the morning, certainly for a couple of hours in the afternoon). A goodly number of large areas nearby Arlberg, Paznauntal, Zillertal etc etc plus lots of smaller places. There are plenty of year round mountain activities too. From a general life perspective its good for work, finding places to live, schools etc. Some of the smaller towns like Landeck, Imst and Jenbach could be similar.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Fieberbrunn before the link to Saalbach opened. It's a proper snow trap that place, altitude means nothing with that sort of aspect/orientation.
Not sure I could live there though, it's a really small town, I wouldn't even call it a town.

Incidentally, why are you discounting Switzerland? Not sure Austria is that much cheaper any more.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ulmerhutte wrote:
Might be a “best of all worlds”?

The “best of all worlds” is definitely what we're looking for, small enough to be overlooked by the powderhounds but close enough to some bigger resorts
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bodeswell wrote:
Went to Fieberbrunn before the link to Saalbach opened. It's a proper snow trap that place, altitude means nothing with that sort of aspect/orientation.
Not sure I could live there though, it's a really small town, I wouldn't even call it a town.

Interesting, reg the snow trap despite the altitude...!
Quote:
Incidentally, why are you discounting Switzerland? Not sure Austria is that much cheaper any more.

We've been skiing all over the European alps but Switzerland has always been more expensive. Even the Swiss people go to Austria if it's close bc its cheaper. Sure, if you count St. Anton, Kitzbühel and the likes, they're just as expensive, but there's a lot of not so fancy resorts that for sure are cheaper, especially reg every day living costs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you guys for all the input, there's a lot of material to get my research started Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bodeswell wrote:

Austria is significantly cheaper – we have friends in Basel and have heard about the eye watering costs of living. It can be affordable on a good Swiss wage, but as @butterhead says, lots of Swiss cross the border because of the price difference. In Austria, most costs (except car stuff) is around the same or maybe a little less than the UK, depending on where you come from.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best schools tend to be in the bigger cities but then the higher the local population the more populated the ski resorts tend to be. Other than Vienna all other cities have a population less than 250000 but I wouldn't advise anyone to live here in Vienna if you want big mountain offpiste skiing.
https://www.geonames.org/AT/largest-cities-in-austria.html

For powder skiing the biggest resorts are not always best as they get tracked out quickly. My advice would be to find an area with many ski resorts but within commuting distance to a good school and then hit the less known ones when there's powder.
https://www.expat-quotes.com/guides/austria/education/international-schools-in-austria.htm
https://at.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/living-in-austria/english-speaking-schools-in-austria/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, thanks for the school links. Unfortunately a lot of them are in Vienna where we definitely don't want to live, too far away from the good stuff... But there's actually some more in other places that I hadn't previously found. Although I do like the idea of getting my son into a German speaking school so he'll be perfect in all 3 languages. And we don't really want to be in a city, although you're right, the Austrian cities are quite small and living in the outskirts isn't really city life...
snow report
@butterhead,

Best schoools, job opportunities & wages tend to be in Vienna, best skiing is elsewhere. Weekend trips are perfectly possible from Vienna and it often tops the "best quality of life" city list. I often do ski touring day trips at the weekend (90 mins each way). Will probably move out west when I retire and can ski most days.

Just in case you haven't already seen it this thread has a lot of useful info.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151203
snow report
@butterhead, have you thought about some of the German resorts? Pretty decent freeride possibilities around Oberstdorf on Nebelhorn and Fellhorn / Kleinwalsertal. Not full of ski bums like the bigger resorts. Oberstdorf has everything you need in terms of schools and amenities. It's not just a village, so is not quite as badly hit by the seasonal variations as a true ski village.
My wife comes from Mittelberg/Kleinwalsertal, which is in Austria, but only reachable from Germany by car ( you can walk / ski tour from Lech/Warth if that's your thing ). Village life is fine during the summer and winter seasons, but non-existant between the seasons. Deader than a dead thing. "Da willst du nicht tot über den Zaun Hängen". I think this applies to most ski resort type places, so I would definitely be looking for a slightly bigger place with easy ski access but with all the amenities at hand.
snow conditions
@Steilhang, Garmisch too...
snow report
DB wrote:
@butterhead,
Best schoools, job opportunities & wages tend to be in Vienna, best skiing is elsewhere. Weekend trips are perfectly possible from Vienna and it often tops the "best quality of life" city list. I often do ski touring day trips at the weekend (90 mins each way). Will probably move out west when I retire and can ski most days.
We definitely don't want to live in a city, even if it tops the best quality of life list wink best job opportunities and wages is not of interest in our case (my husband has his own business and can work from anywhere and I am a self employed holistic nutritionist, so a city would have better opportunities to find clients but this is not the first priority. It doesn't have to be "the best school" either, some smaller local schools can still be good, this is obviously something we'll have to research when we narrowed down or search, but for now our priority is finding a place where we can ski daily without having to drive more than 15-30min, and that has bigger resorts within an hour. So definitely not Vienna, but some of the options mentioned earlier i.e. sound promising.
Quote:
Just in case you haven't already seen it this thread has a lot of useful info.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151203
if I read this thread correctly, it is all about how to make a living in the mountains? As mentioned above, this is not our problem, we have jobs we can do from anywhere/online. I was looking for ideas of "where" more than "how" - but everybody's input has really helped to get started, so I'm sure we'll find something Very Happy
snow report
@butterhead,
Wasn't sure of your line of work and how flexible your work is. As I said earlier I wouldn't recommend Vienna for someone who is looking for big mountain skiing if they can afford to live nearer the mountains. Having said that Vienna is much better than living in Manchester, Wolverhampton or Ipswich on so many levels inc. skiing. If you are self employed and can take days off or be flexible with your hours at short notice to chase powder then being near the big mountains is great. If you are still working and have appointments etc you could end up getting paid a lot less than in a city to work during the week while all around you the tourists are going skiing. Some places (resorts, villages etc) are very much dependant on tourism and the actual all year round population can be very low. Small villages etc tend to look after their own (this is true in many places inc. the UK and Austria). Trying to start up a business, providing a service in an area with a low population where locals prefer to keep business local can be a real struggle. A friend of mine moved to Graz from Vienna, his mother is German but he's still seen as an outsider (as I was when I lived in a small derbyshire village and near Tenbury wells in England).
My Mum & Dad moved to Spain and said every day would be a holiday on the beach, they only go to the beach when they have visitors now. I suspect the same happens to some people who move to ski areas. There is more to life than the beach or skiing.
The thread I mentioned above covers "how" and "where".
It's really difficult to get the right balance but it sounds like you have many more opportunities than most, best of luck.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
@Steilhang, Garmisch too...
Yep, Garmisch also good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy