Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

eurotunnel standard fare

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all, so the time is getting close to our feb half term adventure, we are going via Eurotunnel with a standard fare. even though I have used the Eurotunnel loads of times in the past, both in winter and summer. strangely enough for one reason or another, each time we have travelled at half term we have never actually came back via the Eurotunnel on the return journey.

so my question is, has anyone got any experience of rocking up to calais on the sunday of half term, a few hours earlier than their planned departure and managed to get on an earlier crossing?

in my eyes it would be beneficial to them at the busiest time of the year to fill up any empty spaces, I assume there is always an element of no shows for one reason or another, two seasons ago we did not return via Eurotunnel as my truck broke down and we were flown back on the Saturday, with the truck repatriated a few weeks later!!

I know there could be additional charges incurred, but Eurotunnel have quoted me £190 to upgrade to flexi on the way back, which would make the original one way cost £320!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In theory you can turn up two hours before; and outside busy times you'll be offered the possibility of travelling earlier. In practice; over many years of use we have occasionally turned up much earlier at quiet times and got straights on. Very little chance on busy days; and on one very, very busy evening when they were stacking cars in overspill car parks we weren't even allowed through check-in until two hours before. As with many things it's 'pot luck'.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we crossed back on the Saturday afternoon of half term last year, six o'clock start from Peissey. We had been staying with two other families and they had both booked flexi but me being tight had not. Despite not travelling together we all arrived at the Eurotunnel check in within 10 minutes of each other and it was manic. We saw the other two cars go through the fast track flexi entrance whilst we were pushed out into the overflow waiting area, this did not last long though and we were soon moving again. Were getting lots of messages from our friends about how busy the flexi lane was and the premium lounge that they were entitled to enter was wiped out. We moved along fairly briskly and Eurotunnel didn't seem overly worried about what train you were booked on just trying to get everyone through. Once loaded onto the train realised that both other families were on the same same train, one near the front and the other one about 10 cars in front of us. So in my experience I would definitely say that flexi is not worth it, whilst this experience was probably exceptional I have never paid for flexi and never had any hold up getting on when busy they just want to keep things moving.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Coming back half term last year, we realised were hugely ahead of schedule and managed to amend our booking by about 3 hours, calling enroute and think it was about £40 so not flexiplus but just a change.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year when we returned it wasn't feb but was end of school hols at new year, so peak I'd suggest. We turned up well over 2 hours early and they offered us an upgrade to go immediately for a not insubstantial amount of cash (I have £84 in mind).

We declined and said no we'd go and get a drink and chill after the long drive.

On going through the booth there was a man on the turn to the terminal parking who just waved us on - straight into a train and we landed UK nice and early albeit caffeine deprived. Hoping for the same this time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers all, as I kind of suspect they will want to fill up as many trains as possible, especially the early ones, so will take a chance and get there a few hours early on the Sunday. I am under orders to get the kids back early enough for them to prepare for school next day!!!

Hopefully it will work out, if not a V long wait at Calais or several euros lighter!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@terrygasson, I think you can leave the terminal if you are going to have a long wait, or at least you used to be able to. Go for a walk on Calais beach and grab an early lunch if necessary. Better than endless hanging around.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last eurotunnel we went out standard but came back flexi. The flexi terminal was good. We missed the passport queues, they have a designated channel. You were given a bag to fill with food and drink( sandwiches crisps drinks etc) a good bag full. We were put on the next train that we wanted. After a long journey you want to get home asap.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But it was much more expensive. Time v money.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look on-line to see if the crossings are fully booked - if they are its tricky to get an earlier crossing as mentioned earlier, more pot luck
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers all, am going to "chance my arm" and try and charm my way on wink wink and arrive early on the sunday, all the crossings are fully booked on line (with roof boxes), but I presume they must leave spaces for flexi customers to turn up and go, and will hope there are a couple of no shows.

its my own fault, as I missed off ticking travelling with roof box declaration when buying the tickets and only noticed the other day, I need the box so nothing else I can do and pray that the gods are smiling on me. To be fair we have had a fair few incidents on our recent ski trips, so I am hoping I am due a bit of good luck!!!!

7 MORE SLEEPS FOR ME NOW!!!!!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cheers all, am going to "chance my arm" and try and charm my way on wink wink and arrive early on the sunday, all the crossings are fully booked on line (with roof boxes), but I presume they must leave spaces for flexi customers to turn up and go, and will hope there are a couple of no shows.

its my own fault, as I missed off ticking travelling with roof box declaration when buying the tickets and only noticed the other day, I need the box so nothing else I can do and pray that the gods are smiling on me. To be fair we have had a fair few incidents on our recent ski trips, so I am hoping I am due a bit of good luck!!!!

7 MORE SLEEPS FOR ME NOW!!!!!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends what you are driving - our Audi A4 with roof box on is actually JUST below height. Have you measured it?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If its a close run thing to allowable height let some air out of your tyres before you check in
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy