Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St.Foy vs Serfaus for first trip with 3 yr and non skiing mum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I was hoping to grab mass wisdom regarding an upcoming trip.

It looks like we are going to be able to get away in March for a few days, bringing our 3 year old for his first go at skiing. We are going to be putting him in school in the morning and then play/ski/mess about with him in the afternoon. We are expecting number 2 so my wife won't be skiing but does want to be messing about with the little fella in/on the snow.

Two resorts I'm looking at are St.Foy and Serfaus. We would be looking at catered as we both want a full holiday. I'm attracted to Saint Foy as looks like the beginner slope is in town and looks like you can do some tobogganing there too. Not sure if there is much for the wife to do, or much facilities for afternoon plays outside the snow eg playrooms in hotel/chalet pool etc. Serfaus looks great on facilities but slopes are all up mountain.

Would love to get peoples thoughts on both/either/where to stay/ski schools/facilities for both non skiing mum and little fella.

Thanks

DF
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
don t know enough about Serfaus but SF is where ours learnt to ski

yes its a small area but all runs lead back to base, nursery slopes have magic carpets, one of them has sledging one side and ski the other

village is compact and easy to get around, good restaurants for lunches, your other half can meet you at the top of first lift where there are 2 eateries.

don t discount doing self catered and get delivery of ready made meals from huski you just chuck in the oven........that way you could get an apt with pool for your wife and PM for little one. check out Peak Retreats
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ste Foy is tiny, there won't be much for a non-skiing wife to do. You would be much better off going to La Rosiere, which is just a few kilometres from Ste Foy, it's a much larger village with far more activities, for a fully catered holiday you can't do better than the Hotel Relais du Petite Saint Bernard, it's right next to the main ski lifts out of the village, the children's dedicated ski area is opposite, there's also a very good creche/nursery in the village. Go to www.larosiere.net for more information. I can't comment on Serfaus never having been there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your wife is going to be meeting the 3 year old from ski kindergarten and looking after him/playing during the afternoon, it'll be very important that your accommodation is very near the kindergarten - carting a 3 year old and his skis around is hard work, physically - she'd be more rested skiing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ste Foy would be perfect for the little one, can't think of a nicer area to have your first turns. It's sheltered and pretty and well sorted for that first experience. As for Mum, if she likes sitting in the sun watching then it would suit. Is she wants to go on a shopping spree then no. You would have to book a place with the amenities she would like. Unfortunately, there are a couple of great mountain restos but they are a proper ski.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stefoy4me wrote:

village is compact and easy to get around, good restaurants for lunches, your other half can meet you at the top of first lift where there are 2 eateries.

don t discount doing self catered and get delivery of ready made meals from huski you just chuck in the oven........that way you could get an apt with pool for your wife and PM for little one. check out Peak Retreats

Great info - thanks - guessing for your user name you are quite the fan. Good thinking on the huski thing. Would definitely look at that. With the restaurants at the top of the first lift - does she need a ski pass?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, the aim would be to be close - and fair point on more rested skiing Smile
@chocksaway, happily not really a shopping spree person - more a nice coffee, bit of a browse at something, then probably read. Nothing too fancy required - just some nice options
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Mrs doesn't ski but is quite happy in the bar/coffee/food place opposite the 'little 'uns' ski area watching them bob around and have fun! A lot of people (many English) own places and spend a lot of time there there so it's a slightly different vibe to most resorts. There's often snow-shoeing on offer as well for something to do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serfaus puts in a lot of effort to be family friendly. I have not been that much (tend to go to other places) nor have kids so no expert on kiddie skiing but as far as I know there are two large snow kindergarten areas specifically for younger kids. Even if they dont take to skiing there is still lots to do. For some reason Serfaus has never caught on with the Brits, no idea why as it is one of the most popular ski areas in the alps, so not so many English voices. Depending on your point of view that can be a good or a bad thing. No issue with the instructors etc speaking English.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dublinfella, presuming your holding some folding then the Schlosshotel in Fiss (better than Serfaus) does short breaks in March.

The hotel has many distractions for the non-skier. Highly recommended.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serfaus kids & beginners area is at the top of a gondola ride, at mid-mountain level. If that doesn't suit you then pick Fiss instead. The kids are for Fiss & Ladis is also up a gondola, but it's a very short trip to a low, fairly flat area. I don't have kids and prefer Serfaus to Fiss village, but there's not really much in it and both are lovely.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Valkyrie, That is great info - thanks - starting to think St. Foy for the moment and wait a little til the wife is back skiign and little ones are heading up higher. More info the better though....thanks to all so far
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My post was about st foye...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With the restaurants at the top of the first lift - does she need a ski pass?

yes but she can buy a walkers lift pass which is 7 euros
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dublinfella, I think Sainte Foy would be a good place to start your three year old skiing. There will not be a huge amount for your wife to do there but I think if you were to get an apartment in Les Fermes de Sainte Foy overlooking the piste your wife would be able to enjoy watching your son skiing from the balcony. The residence also has a pool and jacuzzis etc.

La Rosiere would also be a good choice and in the Les Eucherts area you could take your pick from the recently built high end hotel and self catering accommodation. I like Hotel Alparena and Les Cimes Blanches apartments. However it is a larger resort with a larger ski area so it might be best to start in Sainte Foy and then move on to La Rosiere when your son is a bit older.

+1 for Peak Retreats. We have booked through them many times either self drive or train travel (but they do offer a discount if you book your own flights). When our son was three he loved going on the direct Eurostar snow train which works well for Sainte Foy and La rosiere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy