Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid-March Resort for Beginner Couple?

Poster: A snowHead
Whitegold wrote:
Lech.

Loved Lech!
Definitely good for a beginner, but Innsbruck again.
Gorgeous village and quite high.
snow report
 KAJSER
KAJSER
Layne wrote:
@KAJSER, it's really unclear what you are trying to achieve here.

Are you looking for a winter break staying in the mountains and doing some activities?

Or do you want to ski?

Skiing isn't something to go half arsed at. If you want to ski then you will need lessons and convenience as a priority.

Doing a 4-dayer complicates things.

Everything is doable - even a 4-day winter holiday somewhere pretty with a bit of skiing thrown in. But you need to be clear what they priorities are.

Note: there are other activities you can do apart from skiing - snow shoeing, x-country skiing for example.

We're primarily looking for a winter break with nice snowy alpine views. We're wanting to ski as well, but also looking to relax at a hotel spa etc and eat at restaurants in the evening.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kaprun would be ideal (or Zell am See), with a glacier up high, and easy terrain. Zell am See is a “real” town, and are linked by bus and liftpass to Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn Happy Hotel Latini in Schutzdorf would fit everything you ask for.
Bad Gastein would also be within what you ask - Big spa, and high easy skiing in sportgastein.
ski holidays
 KAJSER
KAJSER
DanishRider wrote:
Kaprun would be ideal (or Zell am See), with a glacier up high, and easy terrain. Zell am See is a “real” town, and are linked by bus and liftpass to Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn Happy Hotel Latini in Schutzdorf would fit everything you ask for.
Bad Gastein would also be within what you ask - Big spa, and high easy skiing in sportgastein.

Thanks, I considered Zell am See but am worried in mid march, the town itself will have no snow or will have melting/slushy snow, which will be quite a disappointment for us. Do you think this is likely the case?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That could be the case, but you can look at the glacier from town. If you insist on being sure to have snow in “town” at that time of year, you need to aim high - and loose out on the ambience. In austria it would be Ischgl and the Tauern’s that would be my best bet. France would be the answer to snowy “towns”, but many are not really towns. Val D’Isère could be ok, and have plenty for beginners, but not really a beginner resort. I would still say that Zell is the best compromise:-) If we are really lucky, we would get a cold spell late with snow, and that has happened before, but no one knows:-) I am in Zell right now, and last week = No snow in town (in mid season), but now there is plenty. I cannot tell the future, but for skiing it is the best Bet in Salzburgerland late season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@KAJSER,
This isn’t Amazon prime, Uber or Netflix - you can’t order the weather/snow. There‘s no village or town in Austria let alone the Salzburg area that can guarantee dry snow, esp mid to late March e.g. Jan 2019 loads of places had snow, some villages were shut off. Jan this year very few low level places had snow. If you set your expectations too high you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. The higher you go the more chance you have of good snow. If you experience snow in the town after mid March it will be a bonus and shouldn‘t be something to be disappointed about.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You mentioned Scandinavian resorts wouldn't be out of the question - if flights work, can recommend trysil for pretty scenery (not big mountain scenery though), and the Radisson resort for good food and the out door hot tub and through-pool (especially if you're lucky and it does snow), but you need to be ready to, ahem, make your own entertainment in the evenings as it's not much of a place for apres...

Lessons there were good, nice gentle slopes through the pines, and the option of husky rides and the like. Me and the better half did our first full week ski trip there and it worked for us. It is a touch pricey though!

Seem to remember there was a decent transfer service out of Oslo, so that was easy enough for a shorter trip.

Edited to say that actually, it wouldn't suit if you want shopping and stuff - as mentioned, it's quiet so better for connecting with the outside world and your partner. Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another option, completely ignoring your Austria / Scandiland requirement would be Saas Fee in Switzerland. You can pretty much guarantee, snow in the village as its high and surrounded by spectacular high mountain scenery as well as being picture postcard pretty.

It is however pricey and not the quickest transfer from Geneva though a nice journey by train. It fits the rest of your bill including good village level nursery slopes which will still definitely be snowy with other slopes to progress to. If money isn't a problem then it's ideal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oops double post, deleted.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 8-02-20 22:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trysil would work in terms of skiing, but you'd be flying to/from Oslo - the only UK flights to the new airport this winter go on Saturdays. It's not hard to get to Trysil from Oslo, but it will probably be 2.5 - 3 hours so at least as long as many/most places in the Alps. Åre is easier, but still the direct flights are Thursdays and Sundays so you'd be looking at 4 nights. You could of course fly indirect, but the travel time mounts up.
Another possible would be Lillehammer: the skiing at Hafjell would be good (plus great views) and there're other things to do too - the bobsleigh run for a start, if that takes your fancy. Just over 2 hours on the train from Oslo airport.

But tbh, with what you want, for a short break I'd be looking in the Alps as your flight options will be much better. I love scandi skiing but I'm not sure it works so well as a short break from the UK. And if you are looking to eat (and drink) out, and do a few things other than skiing, costs will mount up rapidly, especially in Norway.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
@KAJSER,
This isn’t Amazon prime, Uber or Netflix - you can’t order the weather/snow. There‘s no village or town in Austria let alone the Salzburg area that can guarantee dry snow, esp mid to late March e.g. Jan 2019 loads of places had snow, some villages were shut off. Jan this year very few low level places had snow. If you set your expectations too high you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. The higher you go the more chance you have of good snow. If you experience snow in the town after mid March it will be a bonus and shouldn‘t be something to be disappointed about.

+1
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mgrolf wrote:
Trysil would work in terms of skiing, but you'd be flying to/from Oslo - the only UK flights to the new airport this winter go on Saturdays. It's not hard to get to Trysil from Oslo, but it will probably be 2.5 - 3 hours so at least as long as many/most places in the Alps. Åre is easier, but still the direct flights are Thursdays and Sundays so you'd be looking at 4 nights. You could of course fly indirect, but the travel time mounts up.
Another possible would be Lillehammer: the skiing at Hafjell would be good (plus great views) and there're other things to do too - the bobsleigh run for a start, if that takes your fancy. Just over 2 hours on the train from Oslo airport.

But tbh, with what you want, for a short break I'd be looking in the Alps as your flight options will be much better. I love scandi skiing but I'm not sure it works so well as a short break from the UK. And if you are looking to eat (and drink) out, and do a few things other than skiing, costs will mount up rapidly, especially in Norway.

Posh places in central London are considered cheap compared to norway:-)
ski holidays
 KAJSER
KAJSER
mgrolf wrote:

Thanks a lot for this, Trysil seems like a really good option, do you know how expensive it is if we were to eat out rougly? As so far, looking at flights, hotel, car hire it appears much cheaper than alpine resorts, plus we would likely spend a night or two in Oslo and make it a week long stay.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well if you like pizza, 18 pounds will not be unusual!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KAJSER, I can't quote prices... because we bring everything with us from Sweden when we go to Norway! Food may not be too bad, if you're used to paying high London prices, but alcohol is eye wateringly expensive (think £15+ for a glass of wine).

If you search for Trysil on the forum, you'll find several threads that have some costings on them.
latest report
Saas fee is at approx. 1800m (100m lower than Obergurgl).
https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/581755/the-highest-ski-resorts-in-europe

Is there a more snow secure quaint village than Obergurgl in the alps?

http://youtube.com/v/LiGKFV5fztc
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KAJSER, 5 years ago we paid about 15 - 25 quid a head for a big main course out (lots of elg burgers and ribs etc), had dinner at the hotel a couple of nights probably 30 quid each but for loads of food. We had a big breakfast at the hotel and usually had a bowl of soup or something for lunch - 5 -8 quid. Hot chocolate and coffee is cheap as chips, booze is ludicrous. We took a bottle of whisky, and got cheaper beers from the shop at the airport, and restricted booze buying to a bit of apres and a couple of bottles of wine.

Quality was invariably good though!
snow conditions
We always take our food with us. Boxes of wine, cheddar, pasta rice, then go to coop for the fresh stuff
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kajser, just back from a week skiing in Norway (Geilo). Drinks at mountain cafes were £7.50 for a bottle of Carsberg and £8 ish for a glass of wine. Slightly higher in the hotel bar. Meals were about £12-18 on the mountain. We were half board so didn’t eat out at night. It was a proper winter wonderland with great lessons for beginners and I think fits the bill for what you are looking for. Plenty of flights to Oslo, Geilo 3.5 hours away but that is with lovely views on a comfortable train which we loved.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy