Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do you pay for lunch on the mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
13.50E ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@halfhand, anything fancier than a bowl of soup, unless I’m in Monterosa where I can eat what I like for my €10 Cool Food in Austrian ski areas is largely 1. The same and 2. Not fancy. 3. Never lamb. In most cases I’d rather cook a proper meal when I get home so don’t need to eat much on the hill. Also, if you’re eating, you’re not skiing.

There are a couple of exceptions – the schnitzel (can be chicken if you want) at Umbrüggler Alm at the bottom of Nordkette is particularly good, even if the service is a bit too relaxed, and there’s a hut in Stubaital that does a particularly good Gröstl.

Oh and the €10 includes a drink, obvs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s worth €25 euros tops. It would be 35-40chf in Zermatt , but the presentation would be miles better
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, ok, but, but, but, lamb chops and cheesy veg 'aint fancy (struggle to find lamb in Austria? Madeye-Smiley ). Hardcore is fine but some (lots) of us are on holiday and not on an endurance course. The holiday experience includes nice lunches in the mountains and towns wink .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@halfhand, yeah, that’s fair enough, but you generally just won’t find stuff like that (as in both type and quality) here at all. I make a point of not eating Austrian food when I go out, as it’s such a novelty outside the city. I do expect there are a few nicer restaurants in the more upmarket resorts though, but unless I was out with holidaying friends, I probably wouldn’t go to them.

Edit: sorry, that’s badly phrased. I mean it’s a novelty to find something different from the local cuisine, which only consists of half a dozen dishes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In France, we've tended to pay €10-€15 at lunchtime (table service) in recent years for a decent main course (e.g. burger, tartiflette) away from the obvious expensive resorts. Very occasionally as low as €8 or so. However we do tend to find restaurants with road access as prices are understandably higher at more remote restaurants.

In Italy, it's been more like €7-€12 for something similar. I've less experience of Austria, but I think we found it was cheaper than France, but not as cheap as Italy.

But it's not all bad in France. We had the same meal as in the OP's photo in the Espace Diamant in 2018 for about €12, but with a much bigger selection of sides.

So to make a guess at a decent price in a big French resort... I'm guessing €15. (Unless the OP was making a point about it being extortionate, in which case: €35.)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Vache 15E
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We'll give us the f'n answer then!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The lamb look delicious!

But for me, that would be dinner, not lunch. Can’t ski after that many chops.

My lunch may well cost $0. I sometimes take a pack lunch. But if I do order anything, it’s often just a soup for less than $10.

Can’t believe anyone wants to overlook that lamb chop. Perhaps that explains why so many vegetarians these days.Wink For if the restaurants “cook” their meat the way to please some, the rest of us are turning vegetarian!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:
The lamb look delicious!
But for me, that would be dinner, not lunch. Can’t ski after that many chops..........Can’t believe anyone wants to overlook that lamb chop. Perhaps that explains why so many vegetarians these days.Wink For if the restaurants “cook” their meat the way to please some, the rest of us are turning vegetarian!
+1
I'm guessing that if this is the plat du jour it will have cost no more than 15 Euros.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This has been a very intere4sting set of replies and has actually converged towards the correct answer. I beleive this is known as the wisdom of crowds.

It was the plat du jour at the Hotel Vanoise just bove the Peisey lift in the Vallandry section of Les Arcs. It is a delightful waiter served restaurant with prompt service, plenty of space a big terrace outside and prompted friends when we called in on their second day in Les Arcs to say "it is the poshest restaurent they have been into in a si resort"

It cost 14 euros and includes free water and bread.

The previous visit I'd had the Plat du Jour of faux fillet with potato gratin. It was one of the biggest steaks I have ever had, of a size my wife and I would normally share. I rarely have steaks in restaurants and at home have them at about 150 grams.

I could not face such a big lunch so chose the rissoto with saint jacques and gambas. It was much more expensive IIRC 22 euro, but was delicious.

As the Austrian dinners have observed the lamb chop appears to be going out of fashion. In novels of the 40s and 50s the protaganists are always nipping into the Savoy for lunch and always have A lamb chop. I'm trying to think when I last saw it on a menu in the UK.

When I have a bit of time I will get together my personal ranked lists of restaurants in Les Arcs, ie the places we like to go to and why.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, Hotel Vanoise is the one with the nice Spa I think? I enjoyed my half day relaxing there when the snow conditions were not good about 4 Xmas`s ago. I wish we`d eaten there now too!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
14 Euro, that is bargain of the year...……..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, I've had or seen lamb chops on the menu in the UK many times in recent years. They are quite popular in Indian restaurants too, usually cooked Tandoor style.

In Austria, lamb of any kind is never on the menu, and you can't buy it in the supermarket either. If it doesn't come off a pig, they're not interested, which is why it ends up in the specials bin in Lidl (more for me!). Curry houses are the exception to this, but they must source their own meat elsewhere.

Looks good for 14 Euro by the way, and I'd happily do that for my lunch if it was available. I have also shared a steak with a friend in a French restaurant when it was only available in XL.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CaravanSkier, Yes, it is the one where you can look into the swimming pool area as you go up the peisey lift. We discovered it one day when the restaurant formley known as the Cordee was full one day.

Incidently the restaurant formley known as the Cordee still does OK food, but it costs more than the Vanoise and the service when we called in in a couple weeks ago was terrible.

Rob@rar the butcher restaurant at the Follie Douce does do OK burgers at a reasnoble price.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
When I have a bit of time I will get together my personal ranked lists of restaurants in Les Arcs, ie the places we like to go to and why.
Would like to see that. I'm not keen on a big lunch when skiing, and often it's just as convenient to pop back to my place for a quick bowl of soup and a part-bake baguette as it is to use one of the mountain restaurants, especially during busy periods.

Quote:
Rob@rar the butcher restaurant at the Follie Douce does do OK burgers at a reasnoble price.
I've been surprised how reasonable some of their prices are. I expected higher.
snow conditions
I’d be very happy to eat a couple of those for €28.
ski holidays
@johnE, how very lovely and an excellent price. Top recommendation.

My favourite lamb chops are at the Sapin in Champoluc. I think €16. But then, I reckon the Sapin has the best meat in the Alps.
snow conditions
Lamb chops and all the fancy trimmings for lunch?

Perhaps dinner, but lunch for me is a big bowl of Gulaschsuppe or local equivalent with bread, or half a pizza, plenty carbs and out the door not fine dining.
ski holidays
Like the look of those lamb chops but more for dinner than lunch. I exclusively ski in Austria and can't remember ever seeing lamb on a menu. Lunch for me is chicken and chips, Tiroler grostl, or spaghetti bolognaise for which I'd expect to pay around €15 including large soft drink.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:

In Austria, lamb of any kind is never on the menu, and you can't buy it in the supermarket either. If it doesn't come off a pig, they're not interested, which is why it ends up in the specials bin in Lidl (more for me!). Curry houses are the exception to this, but they must source their own meat elsewhere.

Maybe out in the sticks by you! wink

Plenty of supermarkets and restaurants have lamb, just in the season. TBF mostly not ski resort restaurants, but they're not really representative of Austria generally anywa.

Top tip: keep an eye out for a sign on the right hand side somewhere between Fulpmes and Neustift as you drive up to Stubaier Glacier in the spring. Frisches Lammfleisch direkt vom Bauer wink
snow report
@clarky999, How rude! Hardly the sticks, considering we buy most of the weird stuff from the big Interspar off Haller Str. Or the Mercur next door, though I'm preferring the Spar these days. Clearly I'm not attending on the right day, or something Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

Lamb chops and all the fancy trimmings for lunch?

To be fair its just some lamb chops, some potato gratin and a few leaves, most pizzas are more complex!!
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@CaravanSkier, Yes, it is the one where you can look into the swimming pool area as you go up the peisey lift. .

You can also watch everyone on the ski lift from the hot tub and most don`t realise they are being observed. Interesting people watching on occasion!
ski holidays
Quote:

most pizzas are more complex!!

Really! a bit of dough rolled into a circle with a bit of tomato paste and cheese speared on top, toss on a couple of olives, and such like. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and hey presto sell for a very high price.
snow conditions
Quote:

You can also watch everyone on the ski lift from the hot tub

and vice versa?
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

You can also watch everyone on the ski lift from the hot tub

and vice versa?

Yes, but few people looked down.
snow report
@jonathancarty, really?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Really! a bit of dough rolled into a circle with a bit of tomato paste and cheese speared on top, toss on a couple of olives, and such like. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and hey presto sell for a very high price.

Sorry 'twas a bit tongue in cheek, was just trying to make a point the photo posted wasn't "fancy food" or "fine dining", take some lamb cutlets flash fry them for 2 minutes, add a spoonful of gratin and some leaves and dressing, probably less hassle than it is to make than a pizza.

To be clear it is exactly the kind of thing I would order....
latest report
Flipping good value I reckon, too much for lunch, share with a friend !
snow report
Calling rack of lamb, even sliced as cutlets, as lamb chops is sacrilege. You may as well call a Mouton Rothschild “plonk”! Toofy Grin

That said, things may be different here. In Australia, they are very different cuts, with very different prices.
latest report
Quote:

Calling rack of lamb, even sliced as cutlets, as lamb chops is sacrilege.

Maybe but it is the same cut of meat and the menu did say rack of lamb.
snow report
If it makes you feel any better we paid $47 USD for two portion of chips and two beers the other week. This was in Heavenly, California.
latest report
@LittleBullet, crazy
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Calling rack of lamb, even sliced as cutlets, as lamb chops is sacrilege. You may as well call a Mouton Rothschild “plonk”! Toofy Grin

That said, things may be different here. In Australia, they are very different cuts, with very different prices.

Why not have leg quarters while you’re at it?

Or, why chicken breast when you can have a whole cornish hen?
snow report
@LittleBullet, Ski passes, mountain food, in fact food and drink in California generally seems very expensive compared to Europe. But I guess thats in part a function of the exchange rate?
latest report
@CaravanSkier, broadly speaking yes. On the mountain you'll be ripped off on just about everything. It's shameless. Only acceptable area is the apres beer at 5$ a pint. The lift ticket is ok sbd you get a lot providing you get the season pass early on. Day ski tickets are expensive especially in the big name resorts. California/tahoe accommodation can be very cheap Vs other us resorts.

Generally food and drink in the supermarket (Tahoe and mammoth) and non-tourist trap restaurants are about UK/London suburban prices. Petrol is around 3.5-4$ per gallon, which for US standards is bloody expensive.
latest report
IF you want to spend a proper amount on lunch ...

https://www.unionmontalbert.com/en/Menu/#Lunch
latest report
Just back from MDC, Folgardia etc

( I dont like Burger, chips etc) , prefer to have decent lunch

A good lunch, Pork shank for example
12 E
Cappuccino 1.5 to 2 e
Wood fired Pizza 8
Free Range beef stew with Polenta 12
Ghoulash Soup 8.5 e
ski holidays
Quote: