Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crap ski towns

Poster: A snowHead
@cc_7up, apparently the gondola dates from 1957, and has an uplift capacity of 300 per hour with a 15 minute trip to gain 800m Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjs wrote:
luigi wrote:
All right, own up, who doesn't get this thread?? rolling eyes

NO POSITIVITY, that includes defending your favourite brutalist resort architecture.

LOTS OF IRONY, that includes twisting positives into negatives for some of the top resorts in the world!!!

Honestly, it ain't difficult, but it isn't going to work unless everyone plays ball!! Toofy Grin

But that doesn't allow for any debate,

Perhaps he is a wannabe brutalist dictator Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@marodo2712 Don’t fret not all La Mongie is like that. If you want to visit a La Plagne like building without actually being in La Plagne you have that option. Could while away an entire 5 mins
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry if I'm breaking the rules, but I liked the architecture in La Plagne (though I never actually found the centre).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey don't be too quick to knock La Mongie. It has access to the Pic du Midi.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Digger the dinosaur,
Quote:

Flaine. There really aren't many places I object to, usually it is people I have a problem with, but I've really not encountered a town with less going on, barely awake after 5pm

Hey, the action's there...you just need to know where to look wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@patrick!, Romme, not Rome...

Yeah it’s got two microlifts to the skiers right of that one ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's far too much balance and positivity creeping into this thread.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Isola 2000. It’s just so bad.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Every so called ski town in NZ. Overpriced lift passes, average/poor lift layout and positioning. On mountain business are all monopolys so only one choice of ski school, one re talk shop, all food overpriced and crap etc etc. Then we get to the actual towns. Originally summer towns with very poor town planing. Lots of old uninsulated houses rented to winter workers at exorbitant prices. Some like Methven and Ohakune are red neck farming towns with the appeal of a cow pat. And a out as sweet. Architecture is all very different with no discernible style. At least they are not the faux alpine style that passes for authentic in a lot of European resorts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sarge McSarge wrote:
Every so called ski town in NZ. Overpriced lift passes, average/poor lift layout and positioning. On mountain business are all monopolys so only one choice of ski school, one re talk shop, all food overpriced and crap etc etc. Then we get to the actual towns. Originally summer towns with very poor town planing. Lots of old uninsulated houses rented to winter workers at exorbitant prices. Some like Methven and Ohakune are red neck farming towns with the appeal of a cow pat. And a out as sweet. Architecture is all very different with no discernible style. At least they are not the faux alpine style that passes for authentic in a lot of European resorts.

This Aussie loves Methven and Mt Shut.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skitow wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
Alpe d'huez. Try not to look at it.
Swindon town centre on a mountain.

Similarities are obvious rolling eyes

Its a good idea to take a picture at a good distance with glare from the lights. I'll give them that.
Any close ups?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bodeswell wrote:
In the spirit of the OP's checklist...Easily the worst resort I've ever been to has to go to St Anton. Rubbish pistes, drunks on the pavements and sliding around uncontrollably on the simplest of slopes, pretentious tools with more money than sense from all corners of the continent, 5 days ski rental that's pricier than a new pair of Stockli SL SX GTis, boy racers in formation tucks on narrow cat-tracks, ridiculously overpriced accommodation, meals that cost a second mortgage served by sour lemons with a frown.....and once in a blue moon there's some powder high up somewhere...apparently.

But "you can do the ring of something tour" they all say, "you can go to Lech, great pistes over there".....yes, well, then go to Lech you muppet. Avoid.

i agree with a lot of the above but the lift served off piste skiing is as good as it gets in St Anton and thats the only reason id go back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drammeister wrote:
skitow wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
Alpe d'huez. Try not to look at it.
Swindon town centre on a mountain.

Similarities are obvious rolling eyes

Its a good idea to take a picture at a good distance with glare from the lights. I'll give them that.
Any close ups?

Alpe d'Huez or Swindon ? Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claviere and Kühtai for me. Skiing is kind of ok in both resorts but the resorts themselves lack any soul/vibrancy. Would not return to either or niederau too for similar reasons
snow conditions
pavel38 wrote:
Cortina for me, like much of the 'clientele' it resembles a has been/past-it black and white movie star who thinks they're still someone, the town itself is nothing special (the pedestrian centre is perfectly ok but a considerable part of the rest of it is bordering on dilapidated) and the infrastructure (both in terms of the lift system and not adopting modern procedures like paying for parking with a card) is extremely dated.

The Dolomites are beautiful, but that alone isn't enough, and there's so many better Italian resorts.

Shame that it gets the WC next year and the Olympics in 2026 just because of it's name.

Go to disagree with this one. Cortina is re-inventing itself.
It's hard to get bad food. The pedestrian area is classy and the town is laid back.
You do have to 'get' Cortina.
snow conditions
Crap ski towns.
Hmmm.

To be fair, the ski season is short, and you've got to have piled up accommodation and expensive food to make it pay.

Most modern high rise are pretty ugly to be fair.

It can be done though. I adore Risoul,
latest report
Zuers. About as spendy as you can get but like being on the moon in winter and an empty one horse town from the Walking Dead in summer.
latest report
Orelle. Sun starved scrapyard with attack dogs.
latest report
I really like this thread, I've been trying really hard to think of another resort to have a good rant about. And without a shadow of a doubt, hands down the worst resort I have ever been to is St Anton. There's some great powder apparently, probably blown up from the clubs, but you need to have been in the Paras to be able to access it.
ski holidays
I love Austria but have never really understood the love in with St. Anton. For some reason it never did it for me. Outside of Austria I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back to Cervinia or L2A. The skiing in both was OK but nothing more and I didn't find the towns very attractive.
latest report
I tend to avoid resorts where the skiing is largely above the tree line (even worse when you can't even see any trees in the distance) or where the architecture is brutal. For that reason I would avoid going to Tignes again, amongst other places. I make an exception for Val Thorens, where its altitude serves a purpose at the end of the season and also because I enjoy the EoSB. But I enjoy it even more when I can get out of that valley.
ski holidays
Oh I forgot Tignes. Good skiing but ugly architecture. Won't go again. In general I avoid France. Don't like sleeping in rabbit hutches.
snow report
@sbooker, having spent about 6 years living in methven I have to agree with sarge. Ok for a coffee and ice cream but I wouldn’t live there again. It’s a one horse farming town.

I lived in arrowtown for a few years before that and thought that was nice, apart from summer when it got mobbed by tourists. Houses were scary expensive ice cold sheds though.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
Orelle. Sun starved scrapyard with attack dogs.

Don’t bother applying for their Tourist Information vacancy will you
ski holidays
Maybe we're being a bit snobby here.
In my twenties I skied La Plagne, the 3V etc
I went for miles of high altitude pistes linked by a brilliant infrastructure. At night, I was too drunk to notice it was a bit like walking home through Coventry at 2am.

20 years later, I'm tucking in at my gastro hut in the Dolomites or Ski Amade, sneering at the plebs paying 20 Euros for a plastic pizza in a 2500m Little Thief style restaurant in The Savoie.

The only thing that astound me is the number of upper class twits with kids who still haven't realised that you can have an immeasurably better holiday (for the over 30s or families) by moving the whole experience 200 miles East.

That said, Megeve, Chatal, La Clusaz, St Gervais, parts of Serre Che and Risoul are all pretty cool places. VT and Belle Plagne are also better than most.

But why anyone would take their family to LDA, ADH, Avoriaz etc. Is beyond me.
latest report
Tonale feels like it was built in 1980 in Albania. .
snow report
Yeah St Anton and Zürs are lousy places, please don’t ever go. As for Lech that’s awful, brutalist architecture and soulless. Skiing vastly overrated, choose high French resorts every time with their respect for the environment and charm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Zuers. About as spendy as you can get but like being on the moon in winter and an empty one horse town from the Walking Dead in summer.

And nowhere near enough champagne bars and caviar house restos.

Naaaaah Zurs is the pantsiest place in the alps. Everybody should defo go ski in France. Defo.
ski holidays
The organ in the cathedral in Alpe d'huez is well worth a look, and the town itself is waaaaayyyyyy better than Flaine. Keighley in the alps. What were they thinking?
snow conditions
Quote:

But why anyone would take their family to LDA, ADH, Avoriaz etc. Is beyond me.

Because they are better.
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:
Flaine Foret, Flaine Forum, Flaine Front De Neige.

Architectural folk seem to love Flaine. Unlike some of the other concrete lumps - it was designed carefully by a famous moderinist architect (Marcel Breuer) and many of the buildings have protected/listed status...

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/03/06/flaine-ski-resort-marcel-breuer-brutalist-alastair-philip-wiper-photography-essay/

You've got to admit some of the architecture there is quite striking and impressive!

ski holidays
@thecramps, the best neo-bauhaus building in Keighley is the Kwik-Fit tyre shop.
snow report
Corky wrote:
I love Austria but have never really understood the love in with St. Anton. For some reason it never did it for me.

Same.

I thought La Thuile was a crap ski town. Dominated by the Planibel complex, no atmosphere and deserted at night. The old part of town was nice though.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-02-20 17:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Vail. Because...

ski holidays
Does the queue for that lift start at the top of the mountain?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Does the queue for that lift start at the top of the mountain?

Looks like it starts in Brooklyn.
snow report
It's gotta be quicker to get your skins on at that point (probably at a point much earlier in the queue tbf).
snow conditions
Just throwing it out there...

Vail. not because of the lift queues (try Revelstoke on a powder day!), but because of the extortionate food prices. If it wasn't for the Mexican in the bus station, and the chicken bar we'd not have eaten all week! Really I think Vail makes Courchevel look like Bognor Regis, talk about posh! I suppose someone has to pay for the heated pavements.

Second has to be Banff. Obvious really, it's no where near the skiing. You might as well stay in Bourg to go skiing in, well, anywhere!
ski holidays
Quote:

You might as well stay in Bourg to go skiing in, well, anywhere!

But Bourg is much closer to the skiing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy