Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl is horrible

Poster: A snowHead
Ionizingskin wrote:
Poorly designed area typically of the whole valley. No effort to provide quality or a good experience. This valley and ski resort are for first timers or people who go skiing once every few years or who have more money than sense so will never know the difference between this and quality. Don't go here and avoid the whole valley except maybe to drive thru.

Short runs that are overcrowded. Runs in exposed areas with little to no tree runs. Resort makes active effort to discourage off piste with fencing. Place full of drunk, mindless dutch and Russians who wouldn't know quality skiing if it smacked them in the face. Please all the drunk idiots keep going here so your contamination is contained in the one place. Everyone else don't make the same mistakes as me - avoid, avoid, avoid

So you want them to plant trees above the tree line? And make the mountains higher to get longer runs?

Been twice, going back for a 3rd time in March. Large amount of skiing, excellent lift system.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neironet wrote:
I can agree with TS - have been there previous season and despite all the advertisement from my friends I liked it the least from european resorts I've been to. What I disliked the most is a big road going through the town, many cars, big dirty parkings right in the center of the town... Meh. It was also quite busy despite the end of the season.

There were some good ski runs though, and our hotel was amazing (on the contrary, the best I've been to Smile). Alps can't be too bad Smile But next time I'd swap Ishgl with something else.

The main road goes round the town. The road through the town where the hotels are is almost car free.

Got the right resort?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@buchanan101, Absolutely. The main road is Dorfstrasse which goes round the outside of the village not through it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buchanan101 wrote:
neironet wrote:
I can agree with TS - have been there previous season and despite all the advertisement from my friends I liked it the least from european resorts I've been to. What I disliked the most is a big road going through the town, many cars, big dirty parkings right in the center of the town... Meh. It was also quite busy despite the end of the season.

There were some good ski runs though, and our hotel was amazing (on the contrary, the best I've been to Smile). Alps can't be too bad Smile But next time I'd swap Ishgl with something else.

The main road goes round the town. The road through the town where the hotels are is almost car free.

Got the right resort?

If you're driving in on the 188 road up the valley then I guess it could look like that. You'd come in and park in the outside parking on the opposite side of the road to the village, have to cross the 188 and go straight to the Sillvrettabahn. Of course at that point you've hardly stepped in to the village itself which is 99% on the non-car park side of the 188.

Of course these days you can come up the 188, left at the roundabout in to the new covered parking and take a travellator direct to the Pardatschgratbahn, so not have to cross any roads.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well thats my ski holiday to Galtur/Ischgl ruined then.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skitech wrote:

You will hate it
We have been lots of times and always hatted it Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well after around 20 visits and counting I'm sure that someday I'll find something that I like about it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, I’m quite aware of the history of both Lech and St.Anton. Very Happy
And obviously St.Anton has a much more worldly history than Ischgl, being at an important European transit.
Lech indeed was always very remote, but with a very different history, being settled by the Walser from Switzerland. And a church from 1400, and a very old court-house reigning over Kleinwalsertal, Warth and Schröcken

But still, I don’t think this explains the current difference between Ischgl and Arlberg.
That difference is mostly explained by the Arlberg-railway, and the fact that skiing in the early 20th century was only for the very happy few. St.Anton and Lech ‘grew up’ with that happy few, and were able to retain a lot of that image and clientele.
Ischgl indeed only came up in the 60-ies, and had to grow a clientele, and logically, this was not the higher end group at that time. Etc etc etc.

And now Ischgl has a skischuhverbot, and some 5***** hotels with prices that suit Lech. And St.Anton being accused of copying Ischgl...

And Ischgl, with its 2300-2800 m skiing has the ‘climatic’ advantage....let’s see what the future brings...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Far more Hot Woman in Ischgl !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Garfield wrote:
skitech wrote:

You will hate it

Thanks for confirming, I will now go with extremely low expectations.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Garfield wrote:
skitech wrote:

You will hate it

Top, Bowler or Fedora?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We hate it so much we have been here for the last 20 years, more than once each year. We have tried other resorts but have come back. We are welcomed like old friends, ( obviously they want our money) but we are remembered. We have had good skiing in resort, some awful weeks, ( weather). There are some lovely hotels and apartments( when here at Christmas our landlady delivered presents for our grandchildren and us) and one hotel we would not use again. We are piste skiers (getting on a bit) piste management is great as is the lift system. Don't go..... We have booked again this season, (4 weeks this year) and already for next year. It has some rough edges, but you don't have to partake
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
Garfield wrote:
skitech wrote:

You will hate it

Top, Bowler or Fedora?

One needs to keep up standards even in Ischgl
Getting over a helmet cane be an issue rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Garfield wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Garfield wrote:
skitech wrote:

You will hate it

Top, Bowler or Fedora?

One needs to keep up standards even in Ischgl
Getting over a helmet cane be an issue rolling eyes

Top hat AND cane.

All the stylish.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't go wild for the skiing in Ischgl but its not terrible. I did think the visitors there were all a bit Brian Pern though...
ski holidays
I am a snowboarder and have been to Ischgl 3 times now (stayed at Kappl), and a few times in other places in Austria. Loved it.

My impressions about the Austrian resorts is this:
Cons: horrible music and mediocre food, feels like everyone wants to take your every penny for everything, in general not very picturesque, no romantic charm nor cuteness, everything is minimalistic and strict
Pros: slopes grooming Cool top-notch, in general very good lift connections and quality and maintenance of said lifts
snow report
I absolutely loved Ischgl when I visited and it's on my list to go again!
ski holidays
I've been to Ischgl several times, although not for about 4 years. I loved it. I understand the Apres isn't for everyone, but this was part of our skiing holidays at the time. Dancing on the tables with ski boots on at 4pm in the Kuhstall or Nikis Stadl is fun! Comparable to the Brückenstadl in Mayrhofen or the Mooserwirt in St Anton. For my wife and I, times have changed and these days are behind us now we have a daughter - perhaps we'll be back in about 16 years.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:

If you think off piste is discorraged in Ischgl then I'm guessing you don't really mean 'off piste', you mean 'side of piste'. If you want off piste in Ischgl then head to the top of the Piz Val gondola and turn right. You have the whole of the Fimba valley - though, like any resort, you'll need off piste cover and a guide/avi. kit to get the most out of it.

I had the pleasure of heading out that way with a guide during the January drought. Headed off piste down to the Heidelberger Hütte with some ok snow along the way weeks after fresh fall.

Also had the impression that side piste would be good and easily accessible when the conditions are right.

I get the point about the town. Probably a bit love/hate.
snow report
marodo2712 wrote:
Tignes le lac, a gulag minus the party atmosphere.

yes but the skiing is immense. For me im there to ski
ski holidays
Only been to Ischgl once before, going back for a week on Saturday. Can’t wait.
snow conditions
Loved Ischgl! Fast lifts, great pistes and epic apres.

Yes the town's a bit blingy and flashy and I've never seen so many people wearing Bogner but it really didn't bother me.

I can't think what's not to like.
snow report
Quote:

Tignes le lac, a gulag minus the party atmosphere.

But with a big sports centre, an indoor climbing wall, swimming pool, diving under the ice, snowmobiling, ice climbing. To me it seems there is more to do off the slopes in Tignes le Lac than any other ski resort
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
I've not been to Ischgl for many years, was only a tiny town split in half by a bit of a hill with a very baroque church om it.
I thought the skiing was great and if you hung around till the end of season either Elton John or Tina Turner rolled up.
I think there was only 3 bars there then ..
A big umbrella bar at the bottom of the ice cliff,
One in the other part of town down in a cellar.
I can't actually remember the other one Embarassed

If I remember, through the haze of the last forty years, the third bar was the innocently, and inappropriately referred to as a cafe, named Cafe Christine.
The waitress there could show the guys at the Mooserwirt how to deliver copious amounts of beers!! Laughing
snow report
Is Goldenballs back ?
ski holidays
margaret wrote:
We are welcomed like old friends, ( obviously they want our money) but we are remembered.

For us the usual Ischgl welcome is:
1. Arrive in resort, check in to accomodation, get skis, head to Kitzloch.
2. Walk in door, get recognized by Arno, told off if we'd missed the year before, asked which nights we would be in so they could reserve us space, and finally asked if we wanted our usual 2 beers/1 Williams per-person order (with glasses already under the tap knowing what our answer will be Very Happy).
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Loved Ischgl! Fast lifts, great pistes and epic apres.

Yes the town's a bit blingy and flashy and I've never seen so many people wearing Bogner but it really didn't bother me.

I can't think what's not to like.

Much prefer the flash of Ischgl village to Solden village which is just ugly
snow report
Yes. I liked Solden but its not the pretties of places and much prefer Ischgl
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been to Solden but I'd happily return to Ischgl, it was fab.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Never been to Solden but I'd happily return to Ischgl, it was fab.

Better skiing in Ischgl too. Was a bit underwhelmed by Solden - had heard great things. Takes FIVE lifts to get to the glacier though with just one easy run to break up the journey - and the sunny glacier at least is just a bit too easy. I did like the area above Gigglijoch.

Was staying in Obergurgl - which of course is quite limited in its skiing, but a total contrast to the brash Solden village which was just a bit coarse... probably OK if I was 30 years younger
snow report
First visit to Ischgl was mixed. Loved the run into Samnaun, but resort busy overall No surprise as it was half term and a big week for the Dutch too. Weather closed much of the area on a couple of days, which compacted the crowds even more. Didn't really enjoy the feel of the place compared to other Austrian resorts. As for the rest of the valley. Found Kappl and Galtur uncrowded and enjoyable, but our favourite area was See. Quiet pistes even at the weekend, plenty of variety for a small area and good restaurants. Off piste potential and rolling reds off the back cable car. Definitely worth a couple of days skiing if in the area. Lively apres ski bar at the bottom station to round things off.
snow conditions
lemoncake wrote:
First visit to Ischgl was mixed. Loved the run into Samnaun, but resort busy overall No surprise as it was half term and a big week for the Dutch too. Weather closed much of the area on a couple of days, which compacted the crowds even more. Didn't really enjoy the feel of the place compared to other Austrian resorts. As for the rest of the valley. Found Kappl and Galtur uncrowded and enjoyable, but our favourite area was See. Quiet pistes even at the weekend, plenty of variety for a small area and good restaurants. Off piste potential and rolling reds off the back cable car. Definitely worth a couple of days skiing if in the area. Lively apres ski bar at the bottom station to round things off.

Did you use the bus up and down the valley - they don't seem very frequent, only about every 30 mins?

Off on Saturday - been to Ischgl twice before but haven't tried the other 3 resorts
latest report
Hi Buchanan, We had a hire car so cannot help with the bus I'm afraid.
Definitely try See...north facing as opposed to Kappl, so snow conditions superior especially on the home run into the village. If it's a sunny day have a coffee or lunch at the Ascherhutte off piste 12. Stunning views and very friendly service. Have a great time!
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
. There always used to be a full winter cow shed under the main Intersport and there's was still one in use up by the Salner Cafe/Restaurant. Can't think of a single one in Morzine.

In Haute Savoie the cows are brought down from the high alpages in the winter in a ceremony called Démontagnée des Vaches (Désalpe in Swiss French) - in October, most valleys have some kind of fete to celebrate this.
And there is an alley under the Intersport in Morzine where people wee wee when they're drunk.
latest report
"Bob, go demountain the cows".
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy