Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl is horrible

Poster: A snowHead
Poorly designed area typically of the whole valley. No effort to provide quality or a good experience. This valley and ski resort are for first timers or people who go skiing once every few years or who have more money than sense so will never know the difference between this and quality. Don't go here and avoid the whole valley except maybe to drive thru.

Short runs that are overcrowded. Runs in exposed areas with little to no tree runs. Resort makes active effort to discourage off piste with fencing. Place full of drunk, mindless dutch and Russians who wouldn't know quality skiing if it smacked them in the face. Please all the drunk idiots keep going here so your contamination is contained in the one place.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-02-20 12:43; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strange first post - just a wild guess but I reckon you didn't like it !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oddly enough, everyone I know who has visited has loved it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tip!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe wants the place to himself?

I thought Ischgl was ok
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just wonder if she/he is trying to put people off visiting?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Duplicate

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 4-02-20 19:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First and only post?

Suspicious.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reverse psychology from the Ischgl Tourist Board. Or they are restarting The Jump and are trying to clear some space.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, whilst not having quite the same allergic reaction as the OP, I think the skiing is pretty good if you exclude the home runs but I really dont like the "village" at all. I know many folk do like the place but there is a minority who agree with me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OP not a fan then Puzzled

Its in my top 5 and would go again
I may not know the difference between this and quality though Shocked .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been there loads of times, love it.
Still chacun a son gout as they don't say in Austria.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ionizingskin, welcome snowHead to snowHeads. Sounds like you've just had a very disappointing holiday - bad luck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, Ischgl is gash.

But a strange first post.

Somebody has an agenda.
snow conditions
"That was a public information announcement brought to you by the St Anton tourist board"
ski holidays
<shrug> it reminds me of those Trip Advisor "terrible" reviews which often seem to be written by people who are clearly destined never to enjoy anything, and whose views are sufficiently weird to be incomprehensible to me.

I went once, thought it was good. Of course I would have applied a bit of "expertise", so it was not hugely busy, the snow was good, and I ate and drank well, didn't get vomited on, thanks. Those big runs back down to the village were memorable - well worth a visit.
latest report
Ionizingskin wrote:
Poorly designed area typically of the whole valley. No effort to provide quality or a good experience. This valley and ski resort are for first timers or people who go skiing once every few years or who have more money than sense so will never know the difference between this and quality. Don't go here and avoid the whole valley except maybe to drive thru.

Short runs that are overcrowded. Runs in exposed areas with little to no tree runs. Resort makes active effort to discourage off piste with fencing. Place full of drunk, mindless dutch and Russians who wouldn't know quality skiing if it smacked them in the face. Please all the drunk idiots keep going here so your contamination is contained in the one place. Everyone else don't make the same mistakes as me - avoid, avoid, avoid

Could you stop beating around the bush and tell us whether you liked it or not?
ski holidays
We need more TRs like this. It would be the Snowheads Crap Towns book.
ski holidays
@Orange200, +1

Probably best to start a new thread accordingly - would you like to do the needful please?
snow conditions
Tbh I feel the same about Whistler, why everyone loves it escapes me....
ski holidays
Tignes le lac, a gulag minus the party atmosphere.
snow report
Also, why does everyone have to whoop and yell now as they are going down the mountain. I get it, you're a dreamboat on skis but do you really have to assault my ears at the same time. Does no one just enjoy the powder anymore with having to film themselves while yelping and then fist pump at the next break in the slope like they just skied down the Matterhorn.

FTR, never been to St Anton and never want to - all the fanboys put me off ages ago and gave me the impression it is full of too cool for school types checking out if you have the 'correct' brand of skis before they jaigermiestering it with their raybans on in the club or whatever it is the eurotrash Uber rich are into these days
snow conditions
While I love a good sarky diatribe as much as the next man it helps if there are the odd hints of actual humour or self awareness.
ski holidays
Whoop. Mini fist pump
latest report
@Ionizingskin, not many CAPITALS, good spelling and punctuation. Poor effort. 2/10.
snow conditions
I've not been to Ischgl for many years, was only a tiny town split in half by a bit of a hill with a very baroque church om it.
I thought the skiing was great and if you hung around till the end of season either Elton John or Tina Turner rolled up.
I think there was only 3 bars there then ..
A big umbrella bar at the bottom of the ice cliff,
One in the other part of town down in a cellar.
I can't actually remember the other one Embarassed
latest report
We'll all I can say is it has changed. Looks to me like someone/ people got greedy and thought let's milk it for every penny we can and the quality of skiing or atmosphere/ cultural heritage became collateral damage
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can agree with TS - have been there previous season and despite all the advertisement from my friends I liked it the least from european resorts I've been to. What I disliked the most is a big road going through the town, many cars, big dirty parkings right in the center of the town... Meh. It was also quite busy despite the end of the season.

There were some good ski runs though, and our hotel was amazing (on the contrary, the best I've been to Smile). Alps can't be too bad Smile But next time I'd swap Ishgl with something else.
ski holidays
@Ionizingskin, You are being very direct with your views, I generally agree but would express things a bit more gently. As I understand it most of the "village" is owned by one extended family (I guess descendents of the subsistence farmers who owned some very poor land in a remote alpine valley around 80 years ago) who basically run the local council (which owns the lift company) and dole out planning permission as they see fit. All tourist places exist to make money from tourists, Ischgl does it far more brazenly than most. Lots of folk like it though.

Think you have slightly wrong end of the stick about St Anton, yes too many "luxury" hotels and apartments are beginning to creep in and it has more than its fair share of drunken eejits but it is still a real mountain village with some of the best skiing in the alps. You wont get far posing around with fancy kit if you cant actually ski, the Bogner fashion show is more of a Lech / Zürs thing.
ski holidays
Cool well maybe I will get round to St Anton sometime then. Ischgl being owned by one family makes sense as there is a real lack of balance about the place.
latest report
@munich_irish, @Ionizingskin,
Ischgl, Lech, St.Anton...all tiny villages, run by few families. It actually also is their quality...
I’m no Ischgl-fan either, but critizizing with ‘almost no treeruns’ is a bit silly....
And it is not just the Dutch and Russians who know how to drink. You might wanna check the scenes we have to bare with foremostly the Brits here in Amsterdam...
snow report
Definitely avoid Amsterdam too. Snow coverage is really poor apart from anything else
snow report
@Ionizingskin, I've never been to Ischgl, so can't comment firsthand on that. I've heard it's a brash party town and the ski area is extensive, above the treeline and good for late season snow. I guess it works for some, but others not. I haven't written it off though.

As you have some very forthright views on Ischgl, it would be interesting to know if there's a resort you rate highly??
latest report
@Langerzug, Ischgl in the modern sense only came into existence in the early 1960s with the establishment of the lift company, before that it was no more than a collection of cowsheds huddled around a church in a remote valley. It is effectively a company town, similar to many of the French resorts, unusual in Austria.

St Anton and Lech are much longer established villages. What is now St Anton (the name only came to be given in the 1920s, for centuries the area was simply the Stanzertal with various small villages like St Jakob and Nasserein) made money from travellers on the way to the Arlberg pass and the railway came in the late 19th century as well as the usual forestry, mining and farming. Lech must have been a very remote spot, cut off for a good part of the year but there is clearly history of an established community going back centuries.

The difference is rather telling.
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
@Ionizingskin, I've never been to Ischgl, so can't comment firsthand on that. I've heard it's a brash party town and the ski area is extensive, above the treeline and good for late season snow. I guess it works for some, but others not. I haven't written it off though.

As you have some very forthright views on Ischgl, it would be interesting to know if there's a resort you rate highly??

There are good places of course but I dont want to encourage people to go there. Places that are towns first where people actually work and live and aren't just looking to exploit skiers for every penny are out there. Just not this valley.
ski holidays
I for one am glad for places like Ischgl and Magaluf, or Le Folie Douce chain for that matter.

It keeps a certain element happy and away from the places that aren't spoiled yet.

Just a tiny bit of research should tell you where you'll find this particular element.
ski holidays
Ionizingskin wrote:
luigi wrote:

There are good places of course but I dont want to encourage people to go there. Places that are towns first where people actually work and live and aren't just looking to exploit skiers for every penny are out there. Just not this valley.

Ah. Not a "resort".
latest report
Been to Ischgl many times and love the place.

Odd you say it's for beginners. One of the most common opinions on SH is that it's not very good for beginners!

No, it's not cheap but perfectly possible to do it on a limited budget with a little research in the where to stay/where to eat.

Yes, there are lots of Dutch, Scandi's, Russians and Germans - it's a popular ski resort. Very few Brits though, which is a bonus in my book.

Not sure where you're finding these short runs though. I regularaly ski both Ischgl and the Portes du Soleil and general run length is about the same.

True, there aren't many runs in the trees - but that's because the skiing is up high, and why the skiing runs more or less Nov-May, not end Dec-start April.

If you think off piste is discorraged in Ischgl then I'm guessing you don't really mean 'off piste', you mean 'side of piste'. If you want off piste in Ischgl then head to the top of the Piz Val gondola and turn right. You have the whole of the Fimba valley - though, like any resort, you'll need off piste cover and a guide/avi. kit to get the most out of it.

Finally odd that you seem to call Ischgl somewhere are just looking to exploit skiers and not somewhere people work and live. There always used to be a full winter cow shed under the main Intersport and there's was still one in use up by the Salner Cafe/Restaurant. Can't think of a single one in Morzine.
snow conditions
Moo! Mini fist pump.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy