Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl karma: 05/06 to 06/07 differences?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any differences in the 05/06 version to the 06/07 Karma?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Titinal Plate removed, for me it was the guts of the ski, giving it awsome piste performance, we've dropped it next year. Just like a Public Enemy, however there is nothing wrong with that.

Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, how will removing the plate affect off-piste performance?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk,

The ski will be softer, I would have thought which might not be too much as issue off-piste but it will be on-piste...
It might lose its ability to hold an edge as good as it did. I would guess it loses a dimension as a ski...
and this ski seemed to be raved about because it could do everything pretty well. They say the same thing about the B3 which I want to try. Not sure I see much point in the new Karma...so might not seek them out now
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, i'm on rental B4s this week. If they are any indication, I think you'll find the B3 a bit disappointing compared with the Stocklis I know you like so much. They just feel a bit dead and lifeless and don't have anything like the edge hold of my usual - Dynastar Legend Pros. I guess it's the difference between a wood and a foam core plus the additional stiffness of the LPs
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, they've increased the side cut slightly and lowered the tail a little, also smoothing out the square tail. If the ski is softer it will be rubbish. Although in a 197 it might be a better ski.

edit: I'm a loser. Sorry, was thinking about Gotamas^. I stand by what I say, with regard to the Gots anyway. Try them, they're real nice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno,

Oh no... and I had in mind to try a few things.... I'll look out for the 88 then as it looks like I'll be on Dynastars, subject to conditions... I don't think I'll find Stockli's but that would be a bonus

Assume you mean this years stock B3/B4's... I hate that rubbish green graphic... shoot that man, its almost as bad as the BMW designer...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, It will help you middle the ski in soft snow, but looses energy exiting the turn, for me the big plus of the Karma.
parlor, Fish.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, yep - this year's stock B4. I actually think the graphic is the best thing about them. They aren't a terrible ski, but they aren't very exciting either. I demoed a pair of Prior Originals today - traditional sanwich construction with wood core and there was a huge contrast. Have them down as a possible for when the LPs die.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I own both this years B3 and B4. In my opinion the B4 really is a one dimensional ski ideal for skiing deep or heavy powder & crud. On groomed runs they feel clunky until you get them up to high speeds. They would be an ideal ski for a mountain that gets lots of heavy powder like Mt. Baker, Whistler or the Tahoe area.

The B3 is a vastly different ski. Its tip and tail dimensions are almost the same as the B4 but its waist is 11 mm narrower. The result is a ski that is very maneuverable on groomed runs. It is lively at higher speeds but somewhat mundane at slower speeds. It does a good job busting through heavy crud and has plenty of float for all but the lightest powder. The B3 has adequate edge hold on harder snows & ice but not enough for boiler plate. The ski is very forgiving in chopped up snow which is the main reason I bought it.

I demoed and bought lots of skis before settling on the B3 as my main ski. It has the right balance between being forgiving and being lively for how I ski. As for the B4, it is a niche ski I use when we have big dumps of heavy snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy