Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer Driving for 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
So I’m starting to hear all sorts of rumours, I am a UK National with D1 and CPC. I drive around the Taranteise. Will I be employable, will I be able to collect and drop off in Geneva?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have heard a rumour that there is something called "Brexit", there is a thread in the Apres section on it too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Daleskier, the truth is no one knows, apparently the Swiss have just said they're issuing no new drivers permits after today to any UK Nationals who aren't in the system.

If you currently have the correct paperwork/licences it doesn't sound as if they're going to be revoked so you can use them until they expire.

Does that mean that they won't in future or that you won't be able to use the routes to the French side that don't actually go Switzerland who knows?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@marcellus, Do you really expect that a UK national will be able to work at driving in France in 2021 ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, probably, it's the reverse of the Fruit Pickers issue that the UK has................. ie they're taking our jobs that nobody wants............. The Swiss have been trying to stop the Transfer companies for decades.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
@marcellus, Do you really expect that a UK national will be able to work at driving in France in 2021 ?

Well given the market is 1/3 english speaking, and the only EU folk who want the work are the Baltic’s and they don’t speak english, so yes i would expect to be able to drive in 2021
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Daleskier wrote:
rjs wrote:

Well given the market is 1/3 english speaking, and the only EU folk who want the work are the Baltic’s and they don’t speak english, so yes i would expect to be able to drive in 2021

I'd have thought that more than 30% of the Resort to Airport Transfer market is English speaking.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Daleskier, OK, I will be interested to see if you are right.

If the pay was more then maybe other EU nationalities would want the work.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you going to pay more for your ski holidays, some will some wont
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marcellus wrote:
@Daleskier, the truth is no one knows, apparently the Swiss have just said they're issuing no new drivers permits after today to any UK Nationals who aren't in the system.

If you currently have the correct paperwork/licences it doesn't sound as if they're going to be revoked so you can use them until they expire.

Does that mean that they won't in future or that you won't be able to use the routes to the French side that don't actually go Switzerland who knows?
Separate to the recognition of the correct licences, what work permits or visas do you think will be required to take advantage of those licences to work in France and in Switzerland?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
marcellus wrote:

Separate to the recognition of the correct licences, what work permits or visas do you think will be required to take advantage of those licences to work in France and in Switzerland?

Lacking any further agreements it’ll hinge on how the employers interact with the department of employment, as I said earlier it’s the reverse of the fruit pickers issue rural England has.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look, these are about to be the sunlit uplands and brexshit dividends for all so don’t worry, just enjoy the journey.

I hope you have the English champagne open to celebrate your new found sovereignty.

I am exchanging sovereignties for hard cash for those who want more sovereignty.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marcellus wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
marcellus wrote:

Lacking any further agreements it’ll hinge on how the employers interact with the department of employment, as I said earlier it’s the reverse of the fruit pickers issue rural England has.
Will the respective governments of Switzerland and France make available visas which employers might use for transfer drivers, if the UK government agrees an immigration policy which excludes EU and Swiss citizens from similar grade jobs in the UK? Are we expecting post-Brexit immigration policy UK and EU citizens to be asymmetric? Obviously we have no clear idea until these things are agreed, but I'm working on the assumption that things will be reasonably symmetrical.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
“I'm working on the assumption that things will be reasonably symmetrical”

Hahahahaha
Shocked Confused Puzzled

I’m working on the assumption that BJ doesn’t worry about the details and he will regard your jobs as ‘detail’.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Daleskier,

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151097

This thread seems to relate to what you are saying about the transfer market.
latest report
@Daleskier, JanetS and I are both transfer drivers based in Chamonix, we have Full Cat D licences and CPC, but unless some sort of new agreement is reached we will be unable to work beyond the expiry of our current paperwork, which I believe is November. At present it is the Swiss who are ceasing to accept UK passport holders, but after the end of the transition period we won't have the right to work in France anyway. If this happens it will cause a massive disruption to the transfer market, and dramatically reduce competition.
ski holidays
what...snow wrote:
“I'm working on the assumption that things will be reasonably symmetrical”

Hahahahaha
Shocked Confused Puzzled

I’m working on the assumption that BJ doesn’t worry about the details and he will regard your jobs as ‘detail’.
Sorry, not quite sure what your point is?
snow report
what...snow wrote:
@Daleskier,

Yep there is an entire army of Baltic’s with EU passports ready to take the business if they are given legitimacy
snow report
So the thing I’m trying to figure, if you already are in the Swiss system will they renew your sefi or when it runs out thats it. Not so worried about right to work, I’m paid in euros on french contract. If it was just the french then i would be quite confident of future employment but its as much to do with the Swiss relationship with the rest of europe.
snow conditions
Daleskier wrote:
what...snow wrote:
@Daleskier,

Yep there is an entire army of Baltic’s with EU passports ready to take the business if they are given legitimacy

The issue with them, as highlighted in the other topic, is that at the moment whilst there may be an entire army from the Baltic they’re not wanting to play by the French rules and as we’ve seen in recent weeks the French are very much “if you don’t play by our rules we’ll shut you down” most of the Brit transfer operators understand this and do play by the rules so have been allowed to continue to work relatively unmolested.
ski holidays
@Daleskier, Have you thought about becoming French resident ?
latest report
@rob@rar, my point is that plenty of people have relied on BJ and his group of over promoted, over privileged jobbies. He’s left a trail of destruction behind him and still ended up with the big job and given himself an especially big job to do. I doubt ski instructors will be a priority in 11 months of negotiations.

It seems like the French and/or Swiss are already getting their ducks in a row for replacing British transfer drivers working from Geneva with Latvians. Maybe not but the signs aren’t great. Who will be next? Maybe somebody knows, or more likely no one has a clue but: “You have to ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky? Well do you, punk!” Just like Clint said.
snow report
rjs wrote:
@Daleskier, Have you thought about becoming French resident ?

No, i lost that argument with missus after 8 chalet seasons. I am british resident and homeowner, i work as an outdoor instructor Easter thru to November. Driving transfers fills the gap nicely, ive written off freelancing as a chef when we leave so if driving goes as well I’m gonna have to start finding another alternative. Winter seasonal work in jan/feb/mar in uk is difficult to find. Any ideas?
ski holidays
Besides, i still quite enjoy skiing after 40years
ski holidays
@Daleskier, I wouldn't throw in the towel quite just yet, there's a negotiation to be had and I don't doubt something will be resolved, we know what the Swiss want (SFR) and who they want it from so it just depends on how much and if the Operators are prepared to pay!

If not, I remember about 15 or so years ago there was an issue with Transfer drivers going to GVA (can't recall if it were customs, Taxis, Airport) so for week or so we stayed in France, it added about half an hour to the Transfer and ew dropped off/picked up French side.
snow report
What do the Swiss want?@marcellus,
snow conditions
The Swiss don't want their taxi drivers to be undercut, they dont gain anything from the current arrangement at all, the gap will be filled tho as there is money to be made.
Slightly different story for the French, they struggle to get cleaners in the mountains to work for €25 an hour so I'm certain there will be something agreed, could be a 3 month permit for under 30's or something similar.
I really hope not as that would count me out
snow conditions
@Daleskier, as alasdair says; the Swiss don't want their Taxi Drivers feeling as if they've being undercut by illegal, underage, underpaid none Swiss, unlicenced, dangerous, overworked drivers!! (their words not mine btw)

The Taxi drivers see tens of thousands of tourists arrive every weekend, walk straight past them "the legitimate" taxis and get in a fleet of the above to go to resort...... mind you try arriving in GVA and going to the Taxi rank to get taken to any French Ski resort and your eyes will be watering with gteh price if you can find anyone to take you!!!

That's the emotional side of it; as I said in my post the "Authorities" want money (SFR) whether that be in taxes, licences, passes or any other scheme that can create that might in their eyes sound partially legitimate! (as well as do something to try and placate the more militant Taxi drivers)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A regular direct train service from Geneva to Trois Vallee, Espace Killy, Paradis ski is long over due - Can you imagine the fuss if France suggested that!
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
@Daleskier, as alasdair says; the Swiss don't want their Taxi Drivers feeling as if they've being undercut by illegal, underage, underpaid none Swiss, unlicenced, dangerous, overworked drivers!! (their words not mine btw)

The Taxi drivers see tens of thousands of tourists arrive every weekend, walk straight past them "the legitimate" taxis and get in a fleet of the above to go to resort...... mind you try arriving in GVA and going to the Taxi rank to get taken to any French Ski resort and your eyes will be watering with gteh price if you can find anyone to take you!!!

That's the emotional side of it; as I said in my post the "Authorities" want money (SFR) whether that be in taxes, licences, passes or any other scheme that can create that might in their eyes sound partially legitimate! (as well as do something to try and placate the more militant Taxi drivers)

Bit like brexit then, Swiss taxi drivers are a miserable unimaginative bunch well used to charging fares that Only visitors to courcheval can afford! To be honest picking on the Brits will only make it worse because they’ll have to face the Baltic’s instead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy