Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brexit and passport validity

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-passport-visa-eu-european-union-etias-electronic-system-a9318016.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robs1 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
robs1 wrote:
It will be great to have to go through the non eu,eea or swiss channel far shorter queues, even allowing for the brits it will still be quicker

In the case of ending up with No Deal - you could be looking at up to 5 hour delays at Passport Control, due to the extra immigration checks....until Airports put extra facilities in place (which is unlikely to start until the UK's position becomes clear).

Will never happen, the swiss have already said they will be adding uk to the list in eu,eea etc section, just more project fear, it doesnt even take that long in the states to get in and they ARE parnoid,

really? I went 4 times last year, to the US and three times waited more than 2 hours. One of those four times I had to show extensive documentation to prove my reasons for visiting were as I said. Whole thing is always a nightmare compared to FOM in the EU.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shefmarkh wrote:
robs1 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
robs1 wrote:
It will be great to have to go through the non eu,eea or swiss channel far shorter queues, even allowing for the brits it will still be quicker

In the case of ending up with No Deal - you could be looking at up to 5 hour delays at Passport Control, due to the extra immigration checks....until Airports put extra facilities in place (which is unlikely to start until the UK's position becomes clear).

Will never happen, the swiss have already said they will be adding uk to the list in eu,eea etc section, just more project fear, it doesnt even take that long in the states to get in and they ARE parnoid,

really? I went 4 times last year, to the US and three times waited more than 2 hours. One of those four times I had to show extensive documentation to prove my reasons for visiting were as I said. Whole thing is always a nightmare compared to FOM in the EU.

But two hours is a LOT less than five and that is for the states which as I said are paranoid,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andrew911 wrote:
I thought passports have to be valid for at least six months at the time of travelling. Worth double checking the gov website.

This irritates me, as now you don't get the unused period added onto the new passport. In effect, you are paying for a 10 year passport, which might be unusable for the last 6 months, so you need to renew early. Therefore , you are actually paying for a 9 1/2 year passport.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robs1 wrote:
shefmarkh wrote:
robs1 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
robs1 wrote:

But two hours is a LOT less than five and that is for the states which as I said are paranoid,

so going from a few mins to 2 hours potentially. Great!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm naive about British politics. Maybe someone can help me out...
What I do know is that it has been well demonstrated that referendums are not representative of true opinion because of the asymmetry of emotion of two sides of a decision. It is generally much easier to rally people against something than in favor of it.
So... how soon can another referendum be held concerning EU membership? And how many times can it be repeated?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What I do know is that it has been well demonstrated that referendums are not representative of true opinion because of the asymmetry of emotion of two sides of a decision. It is generally much easier to rally people against something than in favor of it.
So... how soon can another referendum be held concerning EU membership? And how many times can it be repeated?

There are no constitutional rules about how often referenda can happen, or be repeated. These things are entirely up to the politicians of the day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altaski8 wrote:

Legally whenever a government wants to do it.

In practice I can't see another one for at least 10-20 years, given the state of politics in this country currently. Certainly the current govenrment will never allow one, and they have a large enough majority to easily stay in power until the next legally required election in 5 years.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They won't be in a hurry to risk a repeat exercise in direct democracy. The EU norm is to tell awkward voters to do it again until they get it right (eg Ireland, twice; Denmark) or simply to ignore the result (France).

Normally, politicos heed the advice given to barristers: "Don't ask a question in court unless you are certain of the answer."

No doubt some of our politicos agree with the sentiments of southern US politician Dick Tuck when he lost a senatorial election: "The people have spoken - the b***s."
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shefmarkh wrote:
altaski8 wrote:

Legally whenever a government wants to do it.

In practice I can't see another one for at least 10-20 years, given the state of politics in this country currently. Certainly the current govenrment will never allow one, and they have a large enough majority to easily stay in power until the next legally required election in 5 years.

That makes sense, thanks.
But it seems like it would only take 1 or 2 well-publicized bad outcomes of Brexit to change public - and therefore political - opinion against it. I think I would want to outlaw referendums right after I got my preferred result.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mitcva wrote:
They won't be in a hurry to risk a repeat exercise in direct democracy.

I imagine the Johnson government certainly won't be.
But it's not truly direct democracy, which is a very fortunate PR term, because not everyone voted, partisans were allowed undue influence, and voters were provided with unreliable information.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mitcva wrote:
They won't be in a hurry to risk a repeat exercise in direct democracy. The EU norm is to tell awkward voters to do it again until they get it right (eg Ireland, twice; Denmark) or simply to ignore the result (France).

e.g the Ireland one is a myth though - they were asked to vote on a different document the second time, one in which their concerns about the first version had been addressed.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can the Scottish or Northern Irish government stage a referendum to leave the UK? That could be interesting to watch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of course. The Scots had a "once in a generation" referendum in 2014 and voted by 55% to 45% to stay in the UK. (Now, of course, the nationalists are arguing for another one). In N Ireland, they have to hold a referendum if the majority wishes it. This has not yet happened, but could.

I note that in Spain, the Catalan leaders got long prison terms for holding a referendum.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mitcva wrote:

I note that in Spain, the Catalan leaders got long prison terms for holding a referendum.

Scotland is a country/nation. Catalonia is an autonomous community/region.
snow report
ChrisWo wrote:
robs1 wrote:
It will be great to have to go through the non eu,eea or swiss channel far shorter queues

You know you could always go through those queues if you wanted, right?? You can always go through "all passports"/"all other passports" queues, regardless of what (colour) passport you have.

Indeed you can, but beware, at any moment it could become clear that the family of five from somewhereexoticyouveneverheardof have no visas, or they may have but can't understand they need to present them, or they packed them in their hold luggage, etc etc. Then the shorter queue is suddenly a nightmare.
ski holidays
I travel often with my other half, who as a Russian national joins the non EU/EEA channel. In 4 years I have never seen an airport where this is shorter than than EU queue. She's often asked for hotel booking/onwards travel etc and the computer checks the 90/180 day stay, and of course all this takes more time than the EU queue whereby only the passport holders identity & passport validity is checked.
snow conditions
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2281858022110811&id=1825332354430049
snow conditions
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-travel-passport-expired-uk-british-holiday-eu-a9332296.html
snow conditions
Always the happy soul
latest report
@robs1 What did Mr.Osbourne say? What didn't he say? Who cares what he said?

What 'they' did say was the trade £ would drop. Which it did, 22%.
And that this would make imports more expensive. Which it has, seeing us pay out £160bn extra for imports since the Leave result.
And that foreign investors would be deterred. Which they have - foreign investment down 30% in UK vs up 48% in the EU27.
And that skilled EU workers would go home early. Which they have - 10,000 EU NHS nurses and clinicians gone home early and most not replaced.

And no answer to my questions - When do we get our £160bn back? No answer. When do we see a U-turn in foreign investment in the UK? No answer. When do we see the 10,000 EU nurses and clinicians return? No answer. The only answer I've read so far is that Brexit is done and dusted. Which, of course, it isn't.
snow conditions
Here are your new travel arrangements

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-eu-airport-queue-immigration-brexiteer-amsterdam-airport-schiphol-a9335281.html?amp
latest report
UK will be trading with EU on EU terms. If it doesn't, UK will be second Venezuela. This will not happen. Trading with EU means being under EU jurisdiction, without say in EU parliament. Well done Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson you got your freedom and prosperity back.
snow conditions
Poor Colin.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/schiphol-airport-amsterdam-tweet-1-6514898
latest report
Im surprised our Douane did not fine him, as it is not allowed to use mobile phones or cameras it that part of Schiphol Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Android2000 wrote:
Poor Colin.

Out of curiosity I looked at this Twitter page to find this

"....Love a pint of Tiger.
Let’s make Britain Great again...." -- does the not know that Tiger Beer originated in Singapore ..!!
snow report
But if Col's a true Brexiteer, Singapore with its single party state, lower caste of foreign service workers etc etc is probably his dream....
snow report
albob wrote:
Android2000 wrote:
Poor Colin.

Out of curiosity I looked at this Twitter page to find this

"....Love a pint of Tiger.
Let’s make Britain Great again...." -- does the not know that Tiger Beer originated in Singapore ..!!

Are you sure he's not referring to Everards, Tiger? Brewed in Leicestershire and a fine ale it is.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And the remaniacs cannot understand why they lost four elections in a row...
snow report
1=/=4
ski holidays
@ansta1, Doooh my bad -- You are most certainly right !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy