Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving up to the snow line

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
do anyone else get that buzz of anticipation when you drive to a ski resort and wait to see that first flake of snow on the ground, leaving somewhere like geneva airport when its raining and theres no sign of any snow, but you know its there because you read the snow report and saw the web cams, and yet with every hairpin bend theres still no snow, and finally round the final bend you see a whole new world, from out of nowhere theres a snowy scene in front of you, and if its sunny as well, the feeling is quite magical.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, I get excited about that too, esp if I haven't seen any snow in the UK! snowHead

Didn't happen in Jan 2010 as the UK was snowbound as I left, the car park at Gatwick had a foot or more of snow covering all the markings, kerbs etc.

When I got home the snow had mostly melted and the car park was strewn with cars all at jaunty angles across the marked bays with one wheel up on the kerb, etc., looked very strange! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did a drive down overnight think Feb 2004.

Was snow on the hard shoulder from Southampton to Val D'isere.

Managed to get my dad's VW Caravelle into underground car park under accommodation - result!

Return trip started badly, someone had left an Internal light on, battery dead. €80 on jump leads and we were off.

Or not, due to extra snow we couldn't get out of the car park due to headroom issue! Much digging later we were out.

Snow on hard shoulder all the way home!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do, but a couple of years ago there was pretty much snow from just outside Paris all the way down to Avoriaz...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live in Lisbon for nearly 20 years. It doesn't snow in Lisbon. (It did once, about 10 years ago, for perhaps seven minutes when a rainstorm thickened into snowflakes then back to rain again; made headlines the next day). I absolutely get the magical feeling when seeing snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes a proper feeling of excited anticipation. remember that being mixed with the pressure on one of my very first trips where I'd chosen the destination of Soldeu and one of my more ski-experienced mates was very skeptical that there would be any snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes. But more often of late I get to the top and it's still green or worse raining Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im absolutely with you on that.
The first time i went skiing i was 17 in the mid 80's and went away with a couple of mates on my first holiday abroad and without parents. I could not believe what i was seeing, id never seen mountains, and cable cars and chairs on wires, wtf, and amazing sunshine and hot wine! I think i spent most of the week with my mouth open struggling to take it all in. It was quite mind blowing at the time and i still get that sense of anticipation and excitement going up the hill and a sense of disappointment and loss going down.

My kids, now teenagers have been on family trips to the alps since they were 3 and now we are lucky enough to go several times a year but they don't have that sense of excitement, maybe because they've seen it all from a young age? Once we get through Grenoble I'm looking up at the hills, trying to see what the snow is like, getting my mountain playlist ready, they are watching youtube in the back of the car.

Oh well, their loss perhaps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Due to the modern age I basically can judge from the webcams but that is relatively recent. I do remember one time driving across France and there were patches of snow. So exciting.

I also remember getting a hire car from Geneva and there was snow at that level. Not the Jura, Geneva lake level. Woohoo.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My first trip to the mountains the transfer was after dark and all I could make out was the narrowing and steepening of the sides of the valley. We arrived at the chalet, ate and went to bed, so it wasn't until the next morning that I went and opened the door and looked out of the balcony

Nearly fell backwards in awe of the scale of it all when I took it all in for the first time.

I then proceeded to triple layer up and then go to the hire shop.... And nearly sweat myself to death trying on skiboots
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah the heady days of the TO hol when the first question everyone asked of the rep was "Is there any snow?", followed by a bland non commital answer and desperate viewing from the coach window
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely get excited at the first sight of snow, even after over 25 years of skiing.

Does anyone else get the sad, deflated feeling as they drive away from the mountains knowing that's it for another year?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@karin, book a second trip to delay the disappointment. Family ski trip in 2 weeks and then boys weekend in early March. I’m usually glad to get home from that one so the sadness of leaving the mountains won’t be as bad.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

i still get that sense of anticipation and excitement going up the hill and a sense of disappointment and loss going down

Yep: most exciting hour of the year followed a week later by the most depressing hour of the year.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Ah the heady days of the TO hol when the first question everyone asked of the rep was "Is there any snow?", followed by a bland non commital answer and desperate viewing from the coach window

I remember the reps always answering: "You should have been here last week!"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy