Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The ultimate ski wear wishlist.

Poster: A snowHead
After living with yet another ski suit that is nowhere near as good as the hype and which is starting to fall to pieces after a few weeks of use I began to ponder my requirements and wonder whether any kit is available that meets them. So here's my wish list. If I've missed anything that you think is essential please let me know and I'll add it on. Also if you know of kit that meets the criteria please also speak up. Here goes:

Minimum of 20k waterproof, 20k breathable
Taped seams
Waterproof zips
Insulated, totally waterproof patch on buttocks for sitting down on snow or wet lift chairs.
Hood big enough to go over a helmet.
Pit vents/back vents/inner thigh vents
One piece or zip together 2-piece design.
If one piece it needs to unzip at the rear for ease of sitting on the loo
Lift pass/credit card pockets on left forearm, right forearm
Loop inside wrist for attachment of gloves
Cargo pocket on front or side of thigh. Slim but big enough to hold spare goggles or lenses.
And/or drink bottle net on front or side of thigh.
Integrated body armour.
2 stage insulated liner, with one stage being removeable (and washable) for skiing in warmer weather or quicker drying out
Option of heated liner as per motorcycle clothing
Strategic pockets for chemical warmers
Good abrasion resistance
Strong stitching
Integrated knee pads/armour keeping the knee joint hot and giving something to kneel on.
Totally waterproof phone pocket with headphone cable insert
Recco rescue beacon.
Hood to helmet magnet
Roll away (or removeable) hood.
Detachable and washable collar insert
Windproof flap behind main zip
Soft chin guard behind top of main zip
A sensible price

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how 20k breathable work with insulated liner?

have you looked at Planks Yeti range? I never wet patches penetrate & certainly dont need extra patch for sitting down & I do a lot of that.
Infact, I even take my jacket off often & use it as a picnic cloth on the side of a piste if I want a rest.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The liner would be removeable don't forget, like in a motorcycle jacket, so you could wear it as a shell. Re: Planks Yeti, I've never heard of them, so I'll check them out. Cheers!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, and the moon on a stick please !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With a few exceptions - sensible price, rear zips, RECCO thingamabob - I'd suggest that you need to look out for second-hand NASA Spacesuits on eBay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bogner, Bogner, Bogner Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you've identified a gap in the market...I mean, it's a gap which will appeal to a very, very limited number of people, but it's a gap nonetheless.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anything that will fit around my gut.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm exhausted just reading all that. My requirements for ski gear are much simpler.

Warm enough for chilly days
Vents for warmer days
Sleeve pocket for lift pass
Another pocket(s) for money, phone, tissues, car keys
Purple

Erm, that's it. I'm going skiing, not exploring the outer reaches of the galaxy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 but red. Bright and uniform.
Needing 2 opposite chest pockets, one for wallet and the 2nd for mobile.
Disappointed with my Spyder coat which faded fast and gets soiled easily.
2 weeks ago I found an amazing Descent red coat in Courchevel 1850, at half price. That is €420, a bargain by all means rolling eyes
Still pissed off that I didn't buy it. Looked amazing, felt amazing, had all the key features.
Next year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What you've described is a lot like my two piece motorbike gear - which I did wear skiing a few times until my friends laughed a little too often.

It was a Hein Gericke suit, very comfortable and warm, breathable Gore Tex with a very tough outer layer. There were impact pads that attached inside the jacket which you could position around knees, elbows and shoulders.

It was also pretty heavy and just didn't look like ski gear at all!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RECCO is the first thing you can drop from your 'reality kit'
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
drporat wrote:
2 weeks ago I found an amazing Descent red coat in Courchevel 1850, at half price. That is €420, a bargain by all means rolling eyes
Still pissed off that I didn't buy it. Looked amazing, felt amazing, had all the key features.
Next year.

Bloody hell I was in Courchevel last week. I'd have paid that for it too Sad

Thanks for the suggestions BTW, and up yours to the p*ss takers Toofy Grin
snow report
tomj wrote:
What you've described is a lot like my two piece motorbike gear - which I did wear skiing a few times until my friends laughed a little too often.

It was a Hein Gericke suit, very comfortable and warm, breathable Gore Tex with a very tough outer layer. There were impact pads that attached inside the jacket which you could position around knees, elbows and shoulders.

It was also pretty heavy and just didn't look like ski gear at all!

Sounds like we had the same setup. HG was a great shop.
snow conditions
queenie pretty please wrote:
I'm exhausted just reading all that. My requirements for ski gear are much simpler.

Warm enough for chilly days
Vents for warmer days
Sleeve pocket for lift pass
Another pocket(s) for money, phone, tissues, car keys
Purple

Erm, that's it. I'm going skiing, not exploring the outer reaches of the galaxy.

So am I, but unlike an enormous amount of 'skiers' (not labelling anyone on this forum, just people I've met on holidays) I go out in any condition where slopes are open. A lot of stuff - even expensive stuff - seems designed for people who only ski in good conditions, passes water through like a sponge, and falls to pieces the first time its crashed.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Bogner, Bogner, Bogner Laughing

Which models? I've not looked that closely at the brand for myself, but I looked at some stuff for my wife a couple of years back and I seem to remember the spec being pretty low, especially relative to the price.
latest report
@greengriff, What have you been buying? I have had all sorts of normal ski gear from cheap to higher end (Spyder, Marmot, Killy, Columbia, dare 2 b, never had the waterproofing fail and nothing has ever fell to bits... despite a number of less than elegant crashes.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@greengriff, What have you been buying? I have had all sorts of normal ski gear from cheap to higher end (Spyder, Marmot, Killy, Columbia, dare 2 b, never had the waterproofing fail and nothing has ever fell to bits... despite a number of less than elegant crashes.
I was thinking the same thing, and I go out in everything, even a blizzard if I have to Laughing
ski holidays
I'd not want and haven't ever needed any of this, and skiied in -20 to + 20, rain, snow, winds etc

Insulated, totally waterproof patch on buttocks for sitting down on snow or wet lift chairs.
One piece or zip together 2-piece design.
Cargo pocket on front or side of thigh. Slim but big enough to hold spare goggles or lenses.
And/or drink bottle net on front or side of thigh.
Integrated body armour.
2 stage insulated liner, with one stage being removeable (and washable) for skiing in warmer weather or quicker drying out
Option of heated liner as per motorcycle clothing
Integrated knee pads/armour keeping the knee joint hot and giving something to kneel on.
Hood to helmet magnet
ski holidays
@greengriff, It reminds me of when Homer Simpson designed a car - very funny, but what may I ask is a "Hood to helmet magnet"?
snow conditions
@johnE, souns like a magnet on the inside of the hood and metal on the helmet so your hood stays in place when it's blowing a hoolie
ski holidays
@kitenski, what and where?
Sounds perfect.
At the last PSB in Tignes, in the rain around Tignes Le Lac even my wallet got wet inside my Spyder jacket
ski holidays
@drporat, not sure what you mean by "what and where"?
ski holidays
@kitenski, appologise for being too short. I meant to ask what are you wearing, it sounds like a remarkable outfit.
snow report
@drporat, simply Scott Goretex trousers and Arcteryx "hard" soft shell (water still beads on this in the rain last week despite being 10+ years old)
ski holidays
greengriff wrote:
drporat wrote:
Next year.

Bloody hell I was in Courchevel last week. I'd have paid that for it too Sad

Thanks for the suggestions BTW, and up yours to the p*ss takers Toofy Grin

Come on, you can be annoyed with wee wee takers when you post a list like that!! Getting a combination of a quarter of that stuff would be amazing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Free market research:

One piece or zip together 2-piece design. Oh God please no. Just unnecessary
If one piece it needs to unzip at the rear for ease of sitting on the loo There are images I now cannot erase from my mind. You’d also need trap door undies. Barking mad
Lift pass/credit card pockets on left forearm, right forearm Try the hokey cokey
And/or drink bottle net on front or side of thigh. Great idea. When you’ve unzipped your rear, rearranged your trap door, and are sat on the loo you can have some refreshment
Integrated body armour. which makes your 20/20 requirement pointless
Option of heated liner as per motorcycle clothing Just not needed if the suit is any good and with all that body armour and layers
Strategic pockets for chemical warmers really? Where the Hell are you skiing?
Totally waterproof phone pocket with headphone cable insert Trust me, nobody will want to call you wearing that suit
Recco rescue beacon. Terrific for locating dead bodies
Hood to helmet magnet I have no idea either
A sensible price No problem, they’ll be 80% off in Sports Direct before you know it

It's an episode of Dragons' Den I'll be sure to watch.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Maybe I've been unlucky then? I currently have an Airblaster onesie, prior to that I've had stuff by Special Blend, Burton, Spyder etc. I snowboard too, and have always pick up a wet behind from sitting down to strap in. Likewise from sitting on wet lift chairs. None of them have crashed well, although perhaps I just crash in the wrong conditions and they get ripped up.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
Free market research:

One piece or zip together 2-piece design. Oh God please no. Just unnecessary
If one piece it needs to unzip at the rear for ease of sitting on the loo There are images I now cannot erase from my mind. You’d also need trap door undies. Barking mad
Lift pass/credit card pockets on left forearm, right forearm Try the hokey cokey
And/or drink bottle net on front or side of thigh. Great idea. When you’ve unzipped your rear, rearranged your trap door, and are sat on the loo you can have some refreshment
Integrated body armour. which makes your 20/20 requirement pointless
Option of heated liner as per motorcycle clothing Just not needed if the suit is any good and with all that body armour and layers
Strategic pockets for chemical warmers really? Where the Hell are you skiing?
Totally waterproof phone pocket with headphone cable insert Trust me, nobody will want to call you wearing that suit
Hood to helmet magnet I have no idea either
A sensible price No problem, they’ll be 80% off in Sports Direct before you know it

It's an episode of Dragons' Den I'll be sure to watch.

These are sensible ideas, especially the 'poo hatch' in a onesie, and all are currently available in existing gear in various combinations, so I can't be that mad. Maybe you like doing the 'wee wee floor shuffle' dragging your sleeves on the ground in a French mountainside loo, but I definitely don't.
ski holidays
@greengriff, good luck with all that.....

In the meantime look at Norrona Lofoten Goretex Pro or Ortovox Dermizas, and wear merino layers under - you’ll not go far wrong, we ski winters -25C coldest and in all weathers never felt cold or wet yet. Never seen a Recco since about 1990 though....
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:

If I get caught in an avalanche then I want to be found, even if it's after I've snuffed it. So yeah, the recco in my ski trousers is for body recovery, but I'm glad it's there.....although I wouldn't put it down as a requirement for any clothes I buy.

Some of the stuff is so easily got around rather than looking for an outfit that needs a solution. E.g waterproof phone pocket, just get a waterproof case and bluetooth headphones. Stick some magnets to the lip of your helmet and stitch some magnets into the front of the hood. Loop for attaching gloves could be stitched in easily enough, or just get a set of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meliya-Reindeer-Thermal-Crochet-Christmas/dp/B07KCYTTGZ?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
I only have one requirement from ski gear which I have never found, and that's trousers which keep my behind warm. Heated-backside ski trousers would be marvellous.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@greengriff, It reminds me of when Homer Simpson designed a car - very funny, but what may I ask is a "Hood to helmet magnet"?

A magnet inside the lip of the hood, which attaches to one on the helmet, helping to keep the hood up in windy conditions.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@johnE, souns like a magnet on the inside of the hood and metal on the helmet so your hood stays in place when it's blowing a hoolie

Yes exactly right.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@greengriff, good luck with all that.....

In the meantime look at Norrona Lofoten Goretex Pro or Ortovox Dermizas, and wear merino layers under - you’ll not go far wrong, we ski winters -25C coldest and in all weathers never felt cold or wet yet. Never seen a Recco since about 1990 though....

Thanks, I'll check them out.
snow conditions
greengriff wrote:
A magnet inside the lip of the hood, which attaches to one on the helmet, helping to keep the hood up in windy conditions.

I'd prefer a well cut hood than a crappy magnet to make up for a poor design!
snow report
Why not both?
snow conditions
A mountain restaurant close enough if the weather is too crap for my clothing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy