Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many times service skis on 4 week holiday ?

Poster: A snowHead
I often have fairly long ski holidays (2/3/4 weeks) and wondering how often I should get my ski serviced. I always get them serviced first night in resort but after that I am unsure.

I look after my skis by skiing on good piste conditions and avoiding stones. My edges are always fairly good. Its the waxy brushed grip on the floor of the ski that i notice goes after 5+ days.

Any ideas.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was out with a guide last weekend and he recommended once a week for a service.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends on the conditions.....so the rather unhelpful answer is, "It depends", or "When they need it".

If you are skiing on Boiler Plate ice and need razor sharp edges - then you might need them sharpened every third day.

If there are rocks coming through, then once a week, unless you do some real damage.

If you are on fresh snow, then 2 weeks, with maybe a re-wax after a week.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless you are a racer, 0 or 1 is enough.
Ski servicing is a waste of money. Buy an edge sharpening tool if it gives you confidence on hardpack and ice. No need to take it to the shop unless you have gouges in your ski bases. Even then they are likely skiable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Once or twice a season tops wink

Though I do have some spray on wax though only use it when I think they're not running too well.

But it also depends on the type of skiing you do and conditions etc as has been alluded to.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Every couple of years
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When you can feel the difference. The better you get the sooner you will feel the difference. Spray on wax for those days when the snow is slow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree that it depends. I'd say it's extremely likely you will need to rewax at least once over 4 weeks of skiing though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I worked a season I didn't get my skis serviced for 10 weeks (no money) then a tech offered to do them for me gratis. Was a revelation!

That said, once.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I get ours serviced (wax & edge) after each trip, usually of a weeks duration. (Although I cant see littlies blunting and edge very quickly). Then we cant blame the kit for crap skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kezzy19661 wrote:
Its the waxy brushed grip on the floor of the ski that i notice goes

I reckon you'll be fine without for the full 4 weeks Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:

Ah - the true seasonnaire's answer. Stuff like worrying about wax and edges being something for those not getting enough time on snow to worry about.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also what is a waxy brushed grip?

Structure?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wax when you get in from skiing, before doing anything else.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Ah - the true seasonnaire's answer. Stuff like worrying about wax and edges being something for those not getting enough time on snow to worry about.

Plus you forget to mention that we don't bother to ski pistes as we ski POW all the time Laughing

And we only start to worry about the condition of our skis if Billies have the audacity to get anywhere near us on the flats Laughing
latest report
Twice a week.

Sharper = faster.
ski holidays
Never thought I'd say this but...

@Whitegold is correct!

Buy the basic tools and do it yourself.....not complicated at all
latest report
I get a wax one week & wax & edge the next week
ski holidays
I've owned my skis for 5 years, done 1 full season and a total of 60 ish days over the rest of that time on these skis, I edge and wax them when I feel the edges are no longer biting, I do this myself, I have a selection of waxes so if the conditions change I change the wax - super cold, piste or spring. I only put them in for a pro service once last week as the base needed grinding, though he wouldn't do my edges to 88 like I like, frowny face.
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Never thought I'd say this but...

@Whitegold is correct!

Buy the basic tools and do it yourself.....not complicated at all

I’m more of a twice a season person. What do you charge Very Happy
snow report
Get one of these https://www.swixsport.com/en/wax/tools/edge-tuning/ta3001-edge-sharpener-pocket/.

If the snow is soft, I probably wouldn’t worry about the edges. If hard, I’d probably do it once a week.

Wax if you feel you are slowing down.
snow report
I wax once a year, regardless of weeks, I’m a one trip a year punter, but they’re sometimes 3 week trips. Touch up of edges if required or sometimes a wax for big temp changes. Other than that a hot wax coat over the board with no scrape when I get home for storage (a little extra to run over the edges), then use that coat to hot scrape to clean, wax to go on next trip.
ski holidays
Once a week, as I inevitable go for a weeks skiing- simples, Zardoz then for sticky moments. Also also have my file on board.
snow report
Generally a hot wax before each trip however this time I've neglected to do it as I've been busy.

Edging, every three or four trips depending on conditions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy