Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler - conditions to expect in early April?

Poster: A snowHead
Have booked a family trip to Whistler 5-15 April. Need to make a decision which skis to bring with me (as I need to bring them home from the Alps in Feb). Obviously I could hire if conditions are unusual but the holiday is expensive enough (lift passes ~CDN$ 1000 EACH!) and I have free ski carriage so would prefer to avoid.

Key issue is whether I should expect the snow to be firm or not. We'll split our time between groomed and ungroomed runs. Obviously hope we get some snowfall during our stay. Failing that, will the thick snow pack and mild temperatures deliver reliable Spring conditions or could the groomers be hard and the ungroomed be firm moguls?

My only trip before was in January so not much of a guide!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you bring two pairs? Remove the anguish.

If only bringing one, I would bring the big plank.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The last time I was in Whistler was early March 2015, and spring had truly arrived, with mountain bikes being hired, the golf range in use, and grass and slush below mid station. Whistler has a slightly odd approach to snow reporting, giving a total for the season, and how much has fallen recently, not how much is actually on the mountain.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/snow-and-weather-report.aspx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PowderAdict,
surely "base depth" is what is on the mountain?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And I do appreciate that you can get any kind of conditions by April but I think you we a bit unlucky. Whistler report that March is - on average - their biggest month for snowfall (2.4m vs 1.5 in feb). https://whistlerplatinum.com/about-whistler/mountain-statistics
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:

Yes - that is my thinking. I could bring another pair but we will be travelling with four pairs, four pairs of boots, etc etc - just gets a bit mental after a bit.
Think I'll take my R108s
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster, Base depth is what we get in Europe, so for example Top - 2m, Mid - 90cm, Village - 40cm. Whistler never quoted those figures (as far as I can see), just how much had fallen.

Was “Base Depth” on that link, if so I missed it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You missed it on your own link - look to the right "238cm BASE DEPTH"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jedster, you’re likely to get a wide range of conditions given the big vertical of Whistler.

In April, I think it’s less likely to get all day firm condition the whole mountain. Though it could have firm snow in some part of the mountain say, in the morning in the west facing slopes, and vice versa.

So it’s more a matter of what you like to ski rather than what you have to ski. Still, I think it will have more chance of soft to slushy than firm to icy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@abc, thanks, makes sense
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster wrote:

Ok, that’s embarrassing Embarassed

But that isn’t a base depth in the European sense, it it the uncompressed snow depth in and isolated sheltered gully. They have had 612cm new snow fall, yet they are stating 238cm base, which is ridiculous, as snow compresses at least 10:1 probably more.

I really haven’t got it in for Whistler, it’s just that over the 4 years I went 2010-2015, I never experienced the snow conditions I was expecting from a resort quoting 10-15m of snow a season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mind you, I’ve only been to Whistler once. Smile It was in March. Condition were all over the place!

I’m however drawing my conclusion base on my years of skiing in Tahoe area, which shares similar weather pattern. In April, you could get powder or rain. Or even BOTH on the same day!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PowderAdict, where did you get the “ snow compresses at least 10:1 probably more”?

I thought it’s only 10:1 between snow and rain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
abc wrote:

Yes - that is my thinking. I could bring another pair but we will be travelling with four pairs, four pairs of boots, etc etc - just gets a bit mental after a bit.
Think I'll take my R108s

R108 are pretty much the perfect tool for whistler , plenty of grip if you do get a hard freeze , but at that time of year afternoon slush will be loads of fun on those , historically November is the snowiest month followed be march , although this year winter was slow to start but basically hasn't stopped snowing since xmas so the alpine base should now be in great shape , I go in late march every year and always have great skiing , sometimes can get some weird temperature inversions that makes for interesting skiing, with sticky snow at dffiernt levels , , but the lift served inbounds alpine "off piste " will be great , so much better time to visit than January when thing close so early , top tip , use spicy rentals for a regular overnight wax and you'll be good to go Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@abc, Watch a piste machine preparing a slope with new snow on it, or step in new snow, and I’d be surprised if there was more than a 10th of the original fresh fallen depth left once compressed or pisted.
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:

I’d be surprised if there was more than a 10th of the original fresh fallen depth left once compressed or pisted.

As snow melts to 1/10 of its height, "compressed" snow has to be more than that.

What the ratio is I know not.

Not to mention the snow in the collection area are not pisted. Any compression would only be by the weight of the new snow. So it can't be 1/10. My experience of staring out of my window to the fields beyond, it's more like 1/4.

In the area where people skied, it depends on how many people had skied there. But again, it has to be more than 1/10 as that's the most you can compress snow before it melts.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-01-20 15:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
jedster wrote:

Ok, that’s embarrassing Embarassed

But that isn’t a base depth in the European sense, it it the uncompressed snow depth in and isolated sheltered gully. They have had 612cm new snow fall, yet they are stating 238cm base, which is ridiculous, as snow compresses at least 10:1 probably more.

I really haven’t got it in for Whistler, it’s just that over the 4 years I went 2010-2015, I never experienced the snow conditions I was expecting from a resort quoting 10-15m of snow a season.

I'm quite sure you are right that that is the uncompressed (i.e., unpisted) depth off-piste. It will be the consolidated depth though. The metric is the same in Europe I think - they don't measure the thickness of snow on the piste after it has been bashed multiple times.
ski holidays
Dabber wrote:
jedster wrote:
abc wrote:

Think I'll take my R108s

R108 are pretty much the perfect tool for whistler , plenty of grip if you do get a hard freeze , but at that time of year afternoon slush will be loads of fun on those , historically November is the snowiest month followed be march , although this year winter was slow to start but basically hasn't stopped snowing since xmas so the alpine base should now be in great shape , I go in late march every year and always have great skiing , sometimes can get some weird temperature inversions that makes for interesting skiing, with sticky snow at dffiernt levels , , but the lift served inbounds alpine "off piste " will be great , so much better time to visit than January when thing close so early , top tip , use spicy rentals for a regular overnight wax and you'll be good to go Toofy Grin

Thanks - yeah R108s are fine for holding an edge on a firm piste for a couple fo hours, it's just that if I was going to be spending loads of time on a hard piste I wouldn't want 28m radius and 108mm underfoot.
ski holidays
@jedster, in my neck of woods, many mountains start using the thickness of snow on the piste near the end of the season. Because there's actually more snow on piste thanks to early season snow making. Laughing
snow report
jedster wrote:

Thanks - yeah R108s are fine for holding an edge on a firm piste for a couple fo hours, it's just that if I was going to be spending loads of time on a hard piste I wouldn't want 28m radius and 108mm underfoot.

In April, you would have to look to find loads of hard piste in most mountains. Not just Whistler. Very Happy

That said, I've had such experience in Colorado once. But it's fairly unusual to have such long spell of cold weather in April
ski holidays
Quote:

In April, you would have to look to find loads of hard piste in most mountains. Not just Whistler.

In Europe, you'd expect the pistes to be hard until 10 or 11 depending on elevation. Actually true off piste too. After the sun has been on it - not so much.
But I never really feel the need for wide skis in spring snow - even when its soft, its dense enough that you don't need the float.
Have booked a day of heli - probably do that on the R108s if I have them
ski holidays
Quote:

In April, you would have to look to find loads of hard piste in most mountains. Not just Whistler.

In Europe, you'd expect the pistes to be hard until 10 or 11 depending on elevation. Actually true off piste too. After the sun has been on it - not so much.
But I never really feel the need for wide skis in spring snow - even when its soft, its dense enough that you don't need the float.
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

That's actually my experience in Tahoe too. Hard in the morning and soft mid-day to slushy late afternoon.

But Whistler is very low in elevation and next to the ocean. So the chance of cold days on end will be fewer.

It depends on your personal preference on the kind of skis. For spring'ish skiing, I think something 90-100 would be most suitable to cover the varied condition. However, knowing the snow condition of Whistler (and all of west coast in general), I would err on the wider side. Snow there do turn into wet cement often enough! Shocked A wide plank is far better in that kind of snow.

P.S.
Now that you got me thinking about it, I'd better look up some good hire shops there! (leaving for Whistler tomorrow! Laughing ). My ski, at 90mm underfoot, while worked brilliantly 9 out of 10 days 4 years ago, was not wide enough on the one afternoon of wet cement! I ended up having to quit early. Sad

Granted, that was in March, not February.
latest report
Quote:

But Whistler is very low in elevation and next to the ocean. So the chance of cold days on end will be fewer.

It depends on your personal preference on the kind of skis. For spring'ish skiing, I think something 90-100 would be most suitable to cover the varied condition. However, knowing the snow condition of Whistler (and all of west coast in general), I would err on the wider side. Snow there do turn into wet cement often enough! A wide plank is far better in that kind of snow.

Makes complete sense - low and coastal was what I was thinking
latest report
I'd be highly surprised if an R108 isn't near the best tool all of April. Of course you miss the rockered/twin tip tail so your joy at pebbledashing folk with spring roost may not be all it could be..

Of course you identify the real problem of quiver ownership - eventually we end up with all the tools we need for any condition. The problem being that it is then impossible to co-locate them all with us at all times.........
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'd be highly surprised if an R108 isn't near the best tool all of April. Of course you miss the rockered/twin tip tail so your joy at pebbledashing folk with spring roost may not be all it could be..

Of course you identify the real problem of quiver ownership - eventually we end up with all the tools we need for any condition. The problem being that it is then impossible to co-locate them all with us at all times.........

Yep - reckon that is a fair summary!
The other thing is that the logical one ski quiver (in my world - mantras or similar) is something that actually makes no sense when you have a quiver (sub-optimal in every condition even if it is pretty good in every condition!).
Nearly all of my skiing is handy for my cave so normally this isn't an issue.
I think I have just written the new OED definition of "first world problems" Laughing Embarassed
latest report
@abc, spicy rentals are great , also escape route new store in upper village (Blackcomb ) have a good choice of fatter skis , also the rental store under the fairmont had the new bent chetler 100 to rent which is a great ski to float in cement Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Or in the case of spring skiing (or coastal snowpack), when the condition can change drastically midway through the day! Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been to Whistler many times in April and it is always different. Surprise.
Some years you will get loads of snow so need wide underfoot, even on the piste one year 2ft over night.
Last year it was very cold so rock hard - very unusual.
2015 Very warm so all gone low down.
As abc said the mountains have huge vertical so just go where the skis you have work.

It is very likely to be slushy below mid-station level on Whistler in an afternoon. You can always down load if you want though easy enough to ski out.

Can't you fit Quiver Killers - take 2 pairs and one set of bindings ? Always hire myself as I am lazy and can always change them as often as I want.

Don't forget ski & book storage is available under the Carleton Lodge next to Main Whistler Gondola so saves carrying stuff round the resort.
ski holidays
Quote:

Don't forget ski & book storage is available under the Carleton Lodge next to Main Whistler Gondola so saves carrying stuff round the resort.

Or stay in Blackcomb slope-side, ski-in/out.

A bit of a schelp to go eat and apres. But I'm getting old... buy grocery on day 1 and cook 1/2 of the meals. Eat out the other half around Blackcomb village. Did that last trip 4 years ago. Liked it so much I book the same again.
snow conditions
Last time I was there in April, water skis would have been handy below mid station Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy