Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nendaz tips?

Poster: A snowHead
No not the payment of a service charge in mountain restaurants, but more looking for what to expect at a new resort in a new country.

We're staying in haute nendaz but it looks like ski school is up the road in Siviez, how much time should I give to get there in the mornings and should I drive or take the bus (or indeed ski)?

How different are the French and the Swiss?

Good places for lunch and early evening meals?

Good hire shops? We've got a recommendation for Neige Adventure from the apartment people by any other suggestions would be welcome.

Anything else? snowHead

Cheers
Al
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s been a few years but we stopped going to Nendaz because the links to Verbier were so bad, carnage at the bus stop to return at the end of ski day. Not sure if it’s improved, hope it has because it was very poor. Nendaz has some great runs through the trees but on the whole on reflection a very limited resort and skiing. We used to stay at Les Etagnes, great little hotel, Dutch owned, food excellent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Limited is fine, the wee one will need picked up at lunchtime, fed and parented for the afternoon...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@vfr4,
There is a choice of ski school, some are based at Tracouet which is based in the middle of Nendaz and some are at Siviez, it depends which one you want.
I often go March April and usually drive to Siviez if I'm starting from there.
Parking can be a problem if you're late no problem if early.
The links to Siviez should be greatly improved with the new lift and if you're reasonable skiers skiing across should be fine.
Most of the mountain restaurants are good though not cheap for day time eating.
We usually self cater and don't eat out much so no particular recommendations.
All the rental equipment has been good, think it's Intersport we have used but I usually have my own equipment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So the links have improved massively with the new Plan de Fou up and over bubble. If going to Siviez with kids you definitely want to drive. Siviez gives the quickest access of anywhere to the best Verbier skiing so ideal starting point. It also has the best beginner run. Other than the Plan de Fou red (one of the best pistes in the 4 valleys) and black (steeeep) I’m not very familiar with the Nendaz skiing but it’s popular with families and relatively tame. Our kids learnt to ski with Arc-en-ciel at Siviez - great ski school. Friends with a chalet there also speak highly of Neige Aventure for ski hire - maybe book online for discounts?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

In what context?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers Bob Very Happy there's supposed to be the usual discount for name dropping the apartment so I'll check if there's any discounts for early booking.

Is the good beginner run you speak of the Tortin-Sivez one?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which Ski school are you using?
Only Arc en Ciel exclusively Siviez.
If driving to Siviez in 1/2 term, leave Nendaz (By car) about 815 or expect a LONG walk (unless you can jump a shuttlebus).. The bus service has been cut back drastically since the new Gondola opened. The 830 bus departure will be absolutely rammed!
Its very skiiable to / from, but as Bobin says, the new black is STEEEP at the top - definitley advanced intermediate ++ only. Also, the queue for the Prairaron chair can be pretty awful at home time.
If you can get skischool in Tracouet (Nendaz) this will make your life a lot easier.
Cant reccomend Neige adventue enough - took my kids from 5 to expert over the years (although AenC in Siviez were great while they were tiny)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Regarding Lunch, Chez Caroline in Siviez do a mean Goulash soup with a fabulous terrace. On tracouet, the Cabane Balavaux on the Prairaron red is really nice. When venturing over to Verbier, we like the Cabane Mont fort (Gentianes red below Jumbo cable car) or for a treat, La Vache at the top of Atelas is nice.
Regarding the Swiss - they are a bit "different" but not great issues.
Do however, expect to pay a LOT more than you expect for most things.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

In what context?

Well the stereotype is that the french are quite relaxed about rules and the Swiss are less so...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+ 1 for Neige Aventure. Chalet des Alpes at Prarion good for lunch. Not sure if you’re self catering but the Boucherie Mariethoz in the town is excellent, there’s a good size Coop (good selection of local beer and wine) at the other end of Route des Écluses, a Migros and a fabulous laiterie for cheese//deli called La Cave à Lait. The Trattoria del Savi used to be good as is La Cabane and there is a fun burger and artisan beer bar next to the Coop. The Tipi de Siviez is a fun spot for lunch and just off the gentle tortin slope.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vfr4, Haha just seen your reply, the Swiss are pretty relaxed and friendly people, I don’t think you’ll find too many rules (not sure what you may be thinking about) I’m sure you’ll have a great time. You could also ski over to Veysonnaz (or drive with the kids) Have fun!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all! I've cancelled arc en ciel and booked the wee one in at Neige Adventure. No point having a piste side apartment if youve got to jump in the car at eight every morning and drive twenty minutes away is there?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Enjoy!
Where are you staying?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vfr4 wrote:

That’s the one. We really like La Tetine restaurant on the side of that piste, if the weather is good. Or Dahu and Chez Dany if you get over to Verbier. Enjoy, snow should be GREAT!
snow conditions
martinperry wrote:
Enjoy!
Where are you staying?

On Chemin de Prameiraz, looks to be just opposite the bottom of the lift Very Happy
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
vfr4 wrote:

That’s the one. We really like La Tetine restaurant on the side of that piste, if the weather is good. Or Dahu and Chez Dany if you get over to Verbier. Enjoy, snow should be GREAT!

snowHead snowHead snowHead

Can't wait!
latest report
Tortin - Siviez is great for littlies - My girls started on there at 3 - took the entire 2 hour lesson!!
Getting over there from Tracouet isnt terribly difficult - The red down to Prairaron isnt too tough, then you can go all the way over on the new gondola. That said, if the wee un can do that red, they may get bored by the Siviez blue (unless they like bombing!!)

Never been to La Tetine - always assumed it was just a cafe. Remember when the roof of the cow shed next door was part of the piste (unofficially!)

If on tracouet, good aprez at Cheers (Big ted tent at bottom of gondola) or Edelweiss (on road opposite) Also Le Bob on bottom of Tracouet / JPierre does a great hot chocolate if you need a morale booster!
latest report
@martinperry,Thank you, I was racking my brains trying to think of the place at the bottom of the gondola....´Cheers’....is it the one run by the nice Danish couple?
snow conditions
What's the printse red from the gondola down to tortin like?
snow report
Swissie wrote:
@martinperry,Thank you, I was racking my brains trying to think of the place at the bottom of the gondola....´Cheers’....is it the one run by the nice Danish couple?

Yes - Lovely people (although Dutch!)
snow report
vfr4 wrote:
What's the printse red from the gondola down to tortin like?

A truly great piste - Pretty steep at the top but very wide and rolling so can be navigated with care if needed.
At the bottom, it splits into a blue road and a steep, potentially icy red - I would suggest the blue option if unsure - ends up at the same place, and also gives you access to the Tipi and the aforementioned restaurant by the cow shed!
ski holidays
Not entirely sure what is meant by Haute Nendaz but assuming it is Nendaz itself you're staying in.

Yes - hire from Neige Adventure. Have a shop in Siviez as well as Nendaz.

If going to Siviez for lessons, book with Arc En Ciel (dedicated ski school for kids). Lessons starting from Tracouet (if with Nendaz based ski school) are a good option if Nendaz gondola is walkable, which it is from most of Nendaz.

You probably want to drive if kids have morning lessons. Afternoon lessons are an option btw. You may struggle to get morning lessons if you haven't already booked.

The bus is an option but to guarantee getting there on time, drive and don't be too late in the morning or you'll be half way down the road. Also as mentioned above.

You can get over by lifts/piste but it's a bit of a slog and not one to do if you've got a time to stick to.

The Tipi (off to left of the Tortin run back into Siviez) is quite funky and cheap (by Swiss standards).

Over to Verbier Dahu (bottom right of La Chaux area) as mentioned above is good, Mouton Noir (Ruinettes) is really good. Looks like a concrete block but has a fantastic deck. Chez Dany is good and a interesting adventure, you could take a young one to. But they aren't realistic for lunch if kid is in lessons. Then Caroline is the obvious choice but I wouldn't personally recommend it. At the top of each of the 3 lifts out of Siviez there are options to eat, of those three I'd lean to top of Combatseline lift. If with kid(s) then they need to be pretty good to get down anything but Tortin, unless with ski school. If they can come down Novelli (Combatseline) run then towards the bottom, inbetween where the piste splits is a nice place I forget the name of, though it was closed at Christmas.

In the evening try La Cabane, there's also a new craft beer place nearby, both are next door to the Co-op (best supermarket). As people have mentioned, CH is expensive so be prepared.

Gross generalisation warning: the Swiss are fine, quite insular but the idea that they are absolute sticklers for rules is a myth. That's only when it suits them. And as skiers they are generally quite disciplined.

Don't know your level but be a bit wary of the itineries, Plan du Fou, Chassoure, Gentiane, Mont Gele, especially with a kid, unless you are all very good. Nendaz itself has some fine, if limited skiing (the chair back from Prairon is prone to lots of stops) off the initial Gondola. Only go to Prairon if you want to take the new Gondola over to Siviez.

I go to Siviez a lot and my daughter learnt with Arc En Ciel. In fact I'll be there again for half term.
snow report
Great stuff! Loads of helpful info there thanks Very Happy

Like I said upthread for ski school I had originally booked arc en ciel at Siviez but swapped that yesterday for niege adventure in the interests of an easier life.

The haute nendaz thing is just from the tourist board website and a few other places, I'm assumed there's a bas nendaz somewhere lower down?
ski holidays
martinperry wrote:

Never been to La Tetine - always assumed it was just a cafe. Remember when the roof of the cow shed next door was part of the piste (unofficially!)

Yes it was even better then and with the old cable car that the kids could play in. The food is good - especially the Tarte flambée and plats valaisans and they have good quality and well priced local wines. Perfect if the weather is good and you can relax in the sunshine.
snow conditions
Nickski wrote:

Over to Verbier Dahu (bottom right of La Chaux area) as mentioned above is good, Mouton Noir (Ruinettes) is really good. Looks like a concrete block but has a fantastic deck. Chez Dany is good and a interesting adventure, you could take a young one to. But they aren't realistic for lunch if kid is in lessons.

Mouton Noir isn’t in the same league as Dahu or Chez Dany. It has a nice deck which is good for après, think Ibiza on piste, but don’t make the mistake of going there for lunch. The food is average and service is sh1te. It’s run by a hotel chain whereas The other 2 are owner operated and it shows.
latest report
You’re wrong.

Qualify. In my experience Mouton Noir service was great and very attentive, however, must book.
snow conditions
@Nickski, Dahu is 1 out of 70 restaurants in Verbier on TripAdvisor. Chez Dany is 12 (influenced by lower ratings with previous owner/chef). Mouton Noir is 45. Of course Not doubting your experience was good - quiet day, good server etc - and the deck at MN is great for après but you rated it above Dahu and Chez Dany and no Verbier regular would agree with that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree, Dahu is really nice
Havent been to Mouton in 12 years - went there once and was distinctly unimpressed!
latest report
The Brewpub next to the Co-op brews some lovely beers - but expensive. The Eidelweiss, close to the lift station has a 'Happy Hour' fro 4-5 every afternoon. A pint CHF 4. Otherwise CHF 8. Try Chez Sandy, a great little 'Pub' frequented by locals and a pint of Kronenbourg at CHF 5.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy