Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai or Solden for early November

Poster: A snowHead
The question is simply: what would you pick as "base" for Stubai or Solden (glestcherski basically)
I'm thinking of going as early as next week because I don't think the resorts will still be open long.
I usually wait till beginning of December even for "early" seasons, but looking at France and Germany locking down, and Austria not really going on a positive line, I don't expect we'll have much of a ski season this year...

Any advice is more than welcome!

PS: I'm not interested in anything but a good mountain and decent ski. And maybe some takeaway strudel. Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@blind_raven, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
From those two, I've only been to Solden. Twice. Mid November and early December. Bus to the glaciers/private car with free parking. Nothing challenging/long pistes as expected so early, but was grateful for skiing. Plenty of open spaces to dine down in the city, don't know how Covid19 is modifying that right now.
You can check the pistes and decide better based on the interactive maps on Skiresort.info, go for Open Slopes. You'll have Hintertux first, Stubai next and then Solden with a few kilometers less than the others.
If weather conditions for the next days are fine (visibilty/precipitations) I would choose Hintertux/Stubai.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will you hire a car? IF yes then pick any you like the look of the piste map of; if no car then Sölden presumably has the easiest access to the slopes while avoiding public busses each morning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll definitely go by car everywhere.
What I want to avoid is camp in Solden, and end up driving like an idiot towards Stubai because that's the better place... It's easily an 1h30 drive each way. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not go to Hintertux, much better.
Its a long time since I went to any of them, but I didn't enjoy Solden.
The weather was crap and you couldn't see anything, I could have been anywhere.
Don't forget Kaprun either.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Soelden written off because
Quote:
The weather was crap and you couldn't see anything, I could have been anywhere
Could have been anywhere eh? Exactly! ie poor weather/fog can happen on any ski mountain! We've even had pea soupers at the highly-recommended Hintertux too.

Like any ski area anywhere in the world, any of the Alps' ski glaciers is worth a visit in good snow and sunny weather! Even Soelden, which is fairly extensive and well worth a visit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe Soelden is the smallest of the 3 mentioned? And if you are into freestyle - Stubai and Hintertux have big parks, Soelden has none at the glacier. There is plenty of snow at all 3 at the moment.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blind_raven wrote:
The question is simply: what would you pick as "base" for Stubai or Solden (glestcherski basically)
I'm thinking of going as early as next week because I don't think the resorts will still be open long.
I usually wait till beginning of December even for "early" seasons, but looking at France and Germany locking down, and Austria not really going on a positive line, I don't expect we'll have much of a ski season this year...

I'm also worried that there will be another lockdown so as it's my birthday this weekend and there has been some fresh snow this week, I'm heading off to a glacier for this weekend. I've opted for Kaprun because it has the best snowbase at the moment and it's nearest to me (around 4 hours from Vienna).

To ski offpiste at this time of year you have to be especially lucky with the weather and timing. The children are off school so any offpiste will be tracked out, finding good pistes (e.g. with few stones/bare patches) is probably the best I can hope for.

Here are the current snow figures - click on "Berg" (Mountain) twice to sort into descending order. Kaprun is showing 160 cm base which is very good for this time of year. The figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt though as often there is less technical accuracy and more marketing. e.g. Hintertux has been showing 50cm new snow each day for the last few days but only has a 105cm base.
https://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/

It's going to warm up in the next few days and the snowfall level will rise to almost 3000m.
https://www.bergfex.at/sommer/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/berg/

West Austria does look to be slightly cooler than Eastern Austria next week so the quality of the snow could be better at Sölden/Hintertux than Kaprun in a few days.
https://www.bergfex.at/soelden/wetter/prognose/#day0
https://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/wetter/prognose/#day0

Kaunertaler Glacier is also worth considering ...
https://www.bergfex.at/kaunertal/wetter/prognose/#day0

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 29-10-20 15:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I'm also worried that there will be another lockdown so as it's my birthday this weekend and there has been some fresh snow this week, I'm heading off to a glacier for this weekend. I've opted for Kaprun because it has the best snowbase at the moment and it's nearest to me (around 4 hours from Vienna).

Happy birthday!

Speaking of lockdown > what's the current situation in Austria? It's obviously not as dire as France or Belgium, but hard to tell between all the alarmist news.

Given what I see, I'm now considering leaving as early as Monday, and heading straight for Solden, and then maybe moving around towards Hintertux/Kaprun the week after.

I'll be working this weekend to fit them winter tires!

Quote:

Could have been anywhere eh? Exactly! ie poor weather/fog can happen on any ski mountain! We've even had pea soupers at the highly-recommended Hintertux too.

Funny enough, I've only been once to Solden. Out of 7 days, 4 were "what is this fog I'm seeing everywhere".
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@blind_raven, we're expecting an announcement this afternoon of a 'lockdown light' similar to that announced in Germany yesterday. On that basis the glacier ski areas are likely to be closed to regular skiers for the month of November.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@blind_raven, we're expecting an announcement this afternoon of a 'lockdown light' similar to that announced in Germany yesterday. On that basis the glacier ski areas are likely to be closed to regular skiers for the month of November.

A press conference to announce that the new measures will be announced on the weekend when most people responsible for communicating/implementing said measures won't be working, what a great idea that was from the powers that be rolling eyes

However it does seem highly likely that measures will be similar to those in Germany, and so it is probably more likely than not that 'sports facilities' (ie including ski lifts) will have to close for at least the next few weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, it could be worse. In Belgium it went from Federal announces x.
Regional thinks it's better than that, does something else.
Chaos ensues.
Federal has enough and says "OK. That's it, y'all got to do this one thing together"

Imagine if Tirol would just start deciding for itself just to spite the rest of the govt... It can always be worse.

Anyway, I'll wait and see, but indeed, it looks like I'm probably going to curl up with a blanket and look to pictures of ski until December at least.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to Snowheads @blind_raven,
Curling up in a blanket is probably the best answer. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Verbier just opened - the same weekend Tignes and LDA had to close. Probably better to decide the day before...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, my plan is to give it some time. From people that are aware of the discussions in Austria - is it more likely that it will open after the 30th, or that it's going to be extended?

Italy is still open, but the only likely candidate at this time is Cervinia, and it's... a bit too far of a drive. Might consider Italy towards the end of the month/beginning of December if that's still open and Austria plans on staying close for longer.

Switzerland is also a tentative option - but their putting countries on the red list is a bit of a last minute thing too. And given that you need to be tested upon arrival even with a negative PCR test, it might get a bit fun.

Quote:

Curling up in a blanket is probably the best answer.

Well, the positive news is that I can get a bit more training in before the ski season starts. So curl up and literally more sports. Now if only the damned weather would allow it Confused
latest report
blind_raven wrote:
Well, my plan is to give it some time. From people that are aware of the discussions in Austria - is it more likely that it will open after the 30th, or that it's going to be extended?

Way too early to say, unfortunately. There will be rumours one way or the other towards the end of the month, and the official announcement usually comes about three days before a change. Finger crossed!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy