Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - best areas/slopes for nervous intermediates

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per the title, please recommend me some easy pistes/areas for a second week skier?

For extra brownie points, some good en route pitstops suggestions would also be much appreciated!

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The area between Riffleberg and Gornegrat has some lovely cruisy blues and reds with great views. Served by a fast chair. Can visit the igloo for a drink!

If the weather is good the runs up on the glacier above Trockner Steg are gentle and easy with amazing views. The Gandegg hut above Trockner Steg is superb, and I also like the Theodule hut on the Italian border.

I’d avoid the home runs from Sunegga or Furi - they get busy, narrow and bumpy. Much better to download.

Have a great time! It’s an amazing place
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been once before and loved it, but paid very little attention to the piste difficulty, so thank you so much that's really useful.

Particularly looking forward to exploring the Gandegg & Igloo!

Thanks again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the Gornergrat mountain, take the train to Riffelberg and then the chair. Several blues from there. You can also go on the train to Rotenboden (the next stop) but don't go all the way to the top just yet as that's a bit steeper.
On Sunnegga there are a couple of runs from the top of the funi down to Findeln with chair to circle back plus one from Blauherd back down to the funi.
Gandegg hut piste might be a bit challenging.
Best recommendation is to start with an instructor for a few days. They will take you on the best runs for your ability and you can then repeat later on your own
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't try to go to Cervinia until you are more confident. The ridge at Theodulpass can spook beginners and the run from Plateau Rosa may be too steep
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips DCG. I am reasonably competent so am going to scout out suggestions on the first day. Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jonnygoldsbrough, DCG is giving some wise advice - if your skier is second week and nervous, you/they need to know that the piste to the Gandegghutte involves skiing along a bit of a ridge (not especially steep on the sides) AND ‘skiing’ uphill to get to the restaurant. On the Sunnegga side, there is a run called Eisfluh just below the Sunnegga station that is gentle and has a little two man chair to bring you back up.
I would strongly suggest that when you are using the Sunnegga funicular, you try and get in to one of the bottom carriages. Then, when you arrive, turn right, downwards and you will pass through the barriers and see a lift on your left. That takes you up to the main part where there is the restaurant, connections to the bubble up to Blauherd and so on. Makes life easier than climbing up to the top of the steps when the funicular arrives which can be hard work especially if it’s busy. There is also a small elevator just next to the restaurant at Sunnegga that takes you down to the Wolli park learners area and avoids having to ski down the first part of the piste down to Findeln which is a relatively narrow path which some early intermediates find intimidating.
For what it’s worth, I would second the recommendation for an instructor to make progress....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jonnygoldsbrough, some good advice given. Nothing to add.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jonnygoldsbrough, ignore the piste map posted above. It is about 20 years old. The configuration of pistes and lifts is now very different. The advice given before that is good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all!

I have been referring to the piste map here - https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Zermatt-ski-area/Ski-map which is should hopefully be more up to date.

Some really great tips, thank you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@badmoodbrews, I think that might be the live map you are looking at. That shows lifts currently open (quite a few closed today in the storm).

The full map is the pdf linked on the page below:

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Lifts-pistes/Panoramakarten-Facts/Piste-map-Winter-panorama
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes it is but it's possible to toggle to see 'all pistes' at the top. Could be a bit confusing otherwise!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy