Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Questions about skiing and becoming a parent!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

This is rather theoretical at the moment but I suppose i'm a planner and need to think of everything...

If me and my husband decided to have kids....what would this do to our love of skiing? Honestly, the idea of missing more than 12 months is making me seriously considering remaining child free...
Realistically speaking, what are we looking at? Probably 24 months out for pregnancy and the first year? Then getting childcare at home or abroad (costly?), if we go skiing at all? Until age 4? When we could teach said hypothetical kid and it may be able to go into ski school for half days or something?

Please don't laugh! Or if you must, please be gentle Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look at Esprit Ski
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bobcat,
Quote:

Honestly, the idea of missing more than 12 months is making me seriously considering remaining child free

Shocked I skied with my wife when she was nearly 3 months pregnant. I got told off by someone when she insisted on going on a mogul field in Verbier, against my advice.

Quote:

Then getting childcare at home or abroad (costly?), if we go skiing at all?

Went on our first ski trip, to La Plagne, when baby 14 weeks old. Twice per year afterwards.

Quote:

Until age 4? When we could teach said hypothetical kid and it may be able to go into ski school for half days or something?

Son first on skis at 3yrs and 1 month. Esprit our go to operator for a few years, though did a few independent hols too. Breakthrough at just past 4 years old doing 3 weeks in USA with tuition. After that he was confident on all reds, even Val D'Isere/Tignes, where they meant red.

Quote:

(costly?)

You bet....but who said kids were cheap? If only I had all the money we'd spent on skiing....I'd spend it all again on skiing.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s not the end of skiing - just changes a bit (like everything else!!). Had two winter babies (through luck!) so didn’t miss a season, both came along to the mountains at 7 weeks old. Made possible by going with good friends and family who are willing to help out a bit with the childcare. Since been every year as family - not always for a week, sometimes just a long weekend, whatever we could make work best. Boys are now 2 and 6, six year old has done some private lessons and is happy messing about on the nursery slopes. And in the last couple of years we’ve done a trip away with girlfriends for a long weekend to make sure I catch up on some piste time!!

I’ve written a couple of blog posts about the experience if you can be bothered to read them!

https://ownthetrail.co.uk/2014/02/25/snowboarding-with-a-baby/

https://ownthetrail.co.uk/2017/04/28/sneaky-spring-ski/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had my second baby at the end of November and skied on NYE. I’m not a fitness buff or a skiing diehard but it’s really not that hard to get your poo-poo together and get out on the slopes. There are amazing kinder hotels that take babies from 2 weeks - Austrians DO NOT miss skiing at all, or pick a resort with a good nanny service.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 27-01-20 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bobcat, leave kids at home (until they are old enough - like, 26) and go skiing one at a time with a group of friends.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some great family hols but also some disasters - sickness, chickenpox, the weather etc. Imagine being stuck in Chambery Airport for a day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will say both doctors in Switzerland and France said not to ski when pregnant. Not for physical impact (as I understood it) but likelihood of being hit/ skied into etc.
So aim to get pregnant feb/March and you won’t miss any!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 27-01-20 20:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As above, where there’s a will...

My advice? Don’t teach the children to ski. It is much cheaper to pay their grandparents, even handsomely, to look after them, while you rekindle the flames of youth on snowy slopes. Since having children the costs of my ski holidays have literally doubled Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
up to you.

Many women get pregnant and never ski again. Some have a break. Some carry on through pregnancy to an extent, some ski almost to the end.

Some continue to race at World Cup level whilst breast-feeding: see Amelie Wenger-Reymond- who was feeding her very cute little one in the Hotel at Pralognan la Vanoise last year- just before going on to win at least one World Cup (again, again, again).

Others continue climbing, mountaineering, horse riding, sailing etc etc etc. It is really up to you and ignore anyone /. everyone else who will be more than happy to tut and fuss.

Skiing with kids / going on holiday is another matter if you live in the UK. The issue is CASH.

If you and your other half love skiing and can afford it then carry on, prioritise skiing, get the kids into it and have fun. The difficulties arise if people aren't keen (i.e. wife not into it, new kitchen required, worried about childcare). The other issue is with kids you get a lot less skiing (to start with). There is a lot of faff, there is a lot less beer. There are much much much shorter days. Again you just have to accept this.

BUT before too long the little uns will be much faster than you. And the chances are that you will introduce them into a fantastic sport. The worst thing that can happen however is that they get really good and start racing at a reasonable level at which point the costs involve are bonkers. Worse still is when the school gives them authorised absence to train and race.

Be careful what you wish for.

To reiterate- ignore everyone else, make your own mind up.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 27-01-20 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Esprit Ski and Ski Famille both do very good child care holidays. Only problem with taking children skiing is that they will still want to come with you forever and in turn bring their own children with them. Very Happy Very Happy Actually not a problem we have just had a wonderful family skiing with our children, their partners and 5 grandchildren.

Children are costly, skiing is costly, skiing with children is doubly so. Children are fun, skiing is fun, skiing with children is doubly so. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It just changes it, I agree. Before children I loved the annual ski and apres, now with a 9 and 11 yr old we ski 2-3 weeks a year, if anything skiing is more enjoyable.
It completely depends on how you feel during pregnancy and what your newborn is like and that is the bit one can’t really plan. Some friends had terrible AM sickness and couldn’t contemplate any travel let alone ski, I’ve also skied with friends in their second trimester (balance beautifully adjusted. However, not a risk I took). I had a baby with terrible colic and didn’t make it onto the slopes until she was 14 mo. We paid for the Grandparents holiday to help with babysitting but I forgot the practicalities of breastfeeding/ski faff meant a 3 hour window with sleep deprivation; it was my least favourite ski holiday.
There are some fab options for littles, who sleep better than mine, and are too little to ski....kinder hotel, nanny chalet option, esprit (not used but friends have recommend), family etc.
Since children it has been tricky to carve time for gym, long runs etc. Skiing is the same, but where there is a will, there is a way! And it is completely doable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied at 4.5months pregnant, only problem was zipping up my then fartbag, took two years off, then I either a) went for ski weekends and my (I was lucky ) mom looked after the baby, or B, went skiing and for the first two years ( baby 2 till4) was in a childminding facility for an hour or so, as they got to about 4-5 we started them skiing, NOW the two youngest are teenagers and we can't go without them, little blighters . So eh I can see no reason why not to just have a family and work your skiing around that, unless you are just half arsed about being a mom in the first place. I also rode horses, we are a showjumping family and while I didn't compete I rode out all the time, pregnancy doesn't mean you turn to glass.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think its a very personal decision and what ever you think now feelings often change once you have children. I skied whist 3 months pregnant with both my 1st and 3rd children, with my Drs blessing (also a keen skier) but with instructions to ski well within my capabilities. Pregnant with my 3rd, my first born then aged 3 learnt to ski between my legs, and with his Dad whilst I was minding our then 14 month old.

On skiing whilst pregnant sheer fatigue was the thing that was most inhibiting both times, alongside the fairly regular need to stop to throw up! That been said I now have (symptoms started maybe 15 years later) major problems with overstretched and badly scarred ligaments in my hips and there have recently been suggestions that my skiing during pregnancy may be a factor. There is no way of knowing but with the softening of ligaments during pregnancy the potential for long term damage is greater.

Ski holidays with little ones can be as child free as you choose, and can pay for. With children we preferred to no longer consider the holiday a 'ski holiday' as such but more a family holiday in the snowy mountains during which we did some skiing. However we had plenty of friends for whom a ski holiday was sacrosanct and the babies/toddlers were put in a creche or ski nursery every day of the holiday. All parents will have their own views on whats best for their family.

Once our youngest was around 6 our 3 all skied pretty much everywhere with us, and pretty quickly thereafter left me standing and once teenagers their Dad too! We have continued to enjoy family ski holidays over the years even though our children are now in their late 20`s, early 30`s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On holiday at the moment with our daughter in her 20's. (Son is off next week with his mates).
We skied with them in utero and every year since.
Where there is a will there's a way.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We took our lot with us, from infants. We always went self catering and when small, brought one of Mrs. F's Sisters or Mother with us to help. It meant we got some quality skiing together, as we had somebody to pick them up from ski school and give them lunch/take them out to play in the snow, if we were running late. It worked well and was often cheaper than various other Nanny type services. Often, the extra person avoided under occupancy charges.

It's still bl**dy hard work and you need military precision to get them up in the morning, dressed, breakfasted, kitted out and brought to ski school for 9am.
snow conditions
@bobcat, not skiing was not an option for us. Ok we missed one season when our twins were born.

But we went the following year when they were13-months and Mrs B was 2-months pregnant.

The following year we had 3 under 2s

First couple of years we had catered chalets then went self catering to give more flexibility. We were lucky that grandparents came with us to assist with childcare, but from age 4 they were in ski school morning and with us in the afternoon

Skiing with kids is no big issue - just needs a little more prep

Boys are 19 and daughter 17. We still ski
ski holidays
Quote:

I skied with my wife when she was nearly 3 months pregnant. I got told off by someone when she insisted on going on a mogul field in Verbier, against my advice.

I'll see your poxy mogul field and raise you the Grand Couloir in Courchevel
snow conditions
It will put up the cost of your ski holidays by an eye watering amount.

When they get older you'll be stuck to ski holidays during school holidays - hideous.

Boot room mornings still give me nightmares.

It's still awesome....... with the right planning.
ski holidays
Stupid phone. I know the GC is nothing special.
latest report
If missing a few years ski holidays is your worst fear about having kids you might need to do a bit more thinking. wink Do you have friends with young kids who could fill in the gaps? Maybe lend them to you for a couple of days?

If you have loads of money, of course, everything is possible.
snow report
Our yet to be born first has had two ski trips already this ski season, 2 months and 3 months.
Doctors advice was same as above, no problem at all but don't do anything silly. Not quite sure how future trips will look but one thing is for sure, we'll be going to the mountains!
snow report
pam w wrote:
If missing a few years ski holidays is your worst fear about having kids you might need to do a bit more thinking. wink Do you have friends with young kids who could fill in the gaps? Maybe lend them to you for a couple of days?

If you have loads of money, of course, everything is possible.

Didn't say it was my biggest fear, but I thought it might be an idea to consider each fear carefully in case there are solutions I can learn from people who've been there and done that.

Thank you to everyone who has responded, it's been really illuminating. All I need is loads of money. Sorted.
snow report
Have the kids, get them hooked on skiing when they are young and when they are older the cost of skiing means they won’t be able to afford drugs! Parenting sorted!

My two are 26 & 28 and we still enjoy skiing together.
latest report
Here's something I wish I had been told: you're gonna be sick for basically the entire ski season when each kid enters public school or daycare. They bring stuff home, and you catch it. Plan accordingly.
snow conditions
It doesn't have to stop you from skiing, just plan it a bit better than I did.

Went skiing when I was 4 months pregnant with the first one, left him in England with Grandparents when he was 9 months old. Missed the next Winter because daughter was born mid January, left them both with the Grandmothers for a week the following Winter, and the following Winters until the youngest was 4 when we took them with us. However, for the next few years we managed 2 trips per season, one with them and one leaving them with the Grandmothers. The trips with the kids were all about them, the ones without them were all about skiing!

Yes, taking kids skiing is expensive, but we got such pleasure from seeing them getting good at something we loved. Honestly, they don't slow you down for long - they're 23 and 24 now, and are both way better than either of us.
snow report
I missed a season as son#1 was born just before Christmas although the husband did have a boys week that March. I did do summer skiing in L2A though while I was pregnant. We then had son#1's first birthday in the Esprit hotel in Courchevel, by which time son#2 was on his way (morning sickness at altitude was hard work!)

We are in the very fortunate position to have had 2 trips most of years since so it's definitely not adversely affected our skiing/boarding , just changed the focus a bit. (e.g. childcare and ski /board school availability) although that's less of an issue now they are 10 and 8.Brilliant things like the Family Bash mean they now enjoy not just skiing /boarding with us but with other children while we get to spend time with other snowHead parents too!
ski holidays
bobcat wrote:

If me and my husband decided to have kids...

ahem isnt this the kind of thing you decide before marriage?
snow report
Wasn't a problem for me, I just left the kids at home with their mother and went with my mates.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having a child got me into skiing in the first place.

We (wife and I) moved to Austria (long story). Child was born here. I'd never been skiing before.

From about the age of two, we had the young fella on the slopes, messing about on sleds and having fun. At 3.5yrs old (February 2018, I remember it well), he had his first skiing lesson. On the same day I had my first skiing lesson.

Fast forward two years and he's significantly better on the slopes than I am (faster anyway, as I'm precious about previously rugby damaged knees). The wife also started skiing this year, after much convincing, and loves it.

We are basically living for long weekends and cheeky days on the slopes throughout winter. I can almost not imagine skiing without a small person involved. It's been a lot of fun. Maybe this was due to learning together, but I have local acquaintances with children of a similar age who seem to thoroughly enjoy slowing down and teaching a small person.

Maybe you'll miss a season or two, and then have to slow down for a season or two, but life's long and skiing will still be accessible at least in our lifetime.

As mentioned above, the apre ski will take a hit, but it's all about priorities. We like to look for small resorts without much nightlife and content ourselves with dinner and a couple of beverages before hitting the sack nice and early. It's the only way when someone gets excited and starts putting on their ski boots at 06:00.
snow report
I think as with anything with kids, life changes as much as you let it. Some people give up everything and life revolves around the kids. I think you can make anything work though. We’ve not let having one stop us doing stuff - For example we took him to decent restaurants from being a baby. He’s now 7 and we have friends who will only go to pizza express because they either don’t think the kids will behave or they won’t eat. I’d happily take ours to a Michelin star restaurant and know he’d love it.
I know that’s not a skiing example but the point I’m trying feebly to make is that if you really want to ski, you’ll find a way and the little one will fit in. Our friends take their kids and have either used childcare for a couple of hours while they ski together or taken it in turns to get out there, or use grandparents.
Skiing with my son last year was one of my favourite experiences ever, watching him go from crying with fear on the first day to skiing down red runs by the end of the week, just me and him on the mountain Very Happy
snow report
My wife skied til 5 months. She skied off lifts but exclusively off piste to avoid getting run into. In the end I had to help get get up when getting off chair lift.

Kids did some morning ski school at 3.5. We used other child Care like craft club etc

Ski school( panda club ) in Argentiere have been superb. Aged 9 and 11. I couldn't shake my daughter ( when Cool off my tail on most terrain.
Skiing has been different but there is a few years when your kids really want to ski with you which is a joy.
ski holidays
bobcat wrote:
Honestly, the idea of missing more than 12 months is making me seriously considering remaining child free...

In that case I wouldn't have kids.

Not that having kids necessarily means you have to miss 12 months but if that is your mindset...

Apologies if I am being harsh.... but having kids is a game changer... or at least should be.
snow report
My wife missed one season's worth of skiing as she was pregnant last year (winter 2018/2019)... although she did contemplate going out for a while but that would depend on your skiing level mostly. As a beginner she decided against it. This season we are definitely taking our 7 months old son with us for a couple of extended weekends at least. A lot depends on the people you usually go with... most of our friends have kids of their own (of various ages, some skiing already, some not) for the most part we will probably do a designated caretaker rotation of some sort if there are no services available at the location. Either that or you can ask your parents or inlaws to accompany you and help with the kids...
snow conditions
I appear to be in a minority on Snowheads in that I did not have straightforward pregnancies, an easy time when my first child was born or grandparents to help out on ski holidays.

Whilst our original intention had been to carry on having one ski hol a year as before, we did not properly enjoy ski hols with our children until the youngest was 2. Since then we have had one or two excellent family ski holidays a year and feel very fortunate.
ski holidays
Our daughter first came with us when she was 14 months old and has been every year since - we couldn't go otherwise! She's 8 now and luckily loves the whole thing - the mountains, the adventure and thankfully the skiing. Happily does SnoCamp at MK during the school hols.

We've done every trip with Esprit which takes the worry out of childcare. No massive disasters since that first trip where we had to divert on the way home from the airport to A&E. Luckily only dehydration but a little worrying at the time!

Now she's up in the mornings and raring to go (well, relatively, compared to mornings at home).

Yes, the trips are different now but so is the rest of your life once they arrive.
snow conditions
Best thing ever Smile Yes, it's so much more expensive but so much fun to ski with wee ones. Especially if you like mini ski crosses and kids terrain parks!

What I did...
Season 1 (pregnant) I skied very cautiously in the 2nd trimester which timed perfectly with ski season. My husband was learning to ski so it was perfect just to just snowplow around the bunny hill with him. I suffered badly with pelvic girdle pain, to the point that sometimes I couldn't walk. For some reason the pain went away as soon as my skis were on ?! I invested in 'mummy' skis, you know the flowery ones that are light, about 10 cm shorter than my regular skis.

Season 2 (6 month old) thankfully grandma was on hand, but I was still breast feeding so could ski with breaks every 2 hours or so.

Season 3 (18 months) only a couple of days due to finances

Season 4 (36 months) discovered esprit ski, the wee one was big for her age so she went into piu piu club (esf) and snow club in the afternoon. We managed 2 weeks but it was expensive.

From 3 years she was on the 'big' hill with me, albeit slow. Holidays were diy and lots of days in Scotland. By 5 I had troubles keeping up, now I have the best ski buddy you could ask for Smile
ski holidays
@bobcat, you don't need lots of money, but it does help and you will need to find some to make a skiing trip possible. The first time you book ski school for two kids, with kit hire and passes for 4 for a week and the bill for that alone comes to €1200 you will realise that it will never be cheap. However, that's a temporary expense - kids grow out of ski school after a couple of years, and for a while they're still half price on most other stuff.

Our kids started at 3, two years apart, and I managed to fit in at least 2 trips every year while they were growing up, while their mother chooses to do one of those per year and we had the kids and grandparents with us on one trip, and shared with other families on some as well so one adult took turns at childminding for 2 kids for a half day or full day while the other 3 went skiing. Now I get 2-3 trips per year and the rest of the family join me for one of those, and this year we might even manage 2 trips as a family. The kids are now 13 and 11, and they're learning to wait for us at junctions and before getting on lifts. Our youngest flatly refused to go to ski school when she was 7 on the basis that she was faster than her mother, so that was that. They're still learning and improving, but it is no longer costing us €400 per kid - more like €200 now for passes and kit hire, but the €7.50 per day basic kid's lunch with ski school is now more like €15 because they eat more.

We've always self-catered and driven to Austria to keep the costs down as much as possible. The kids have 2nd hand clothes or stuff from the cheaper end of the market, and have never had an issue with that as they've typically outgrown everything by the next trip.

It's all a question of priorities - if you can't survive without a ski trip every year, you will save to make it possible, or work more to make up the difference, and your summer holiday probably won't be to the Maldives. If it's a nice to have, you might skip a year. You may also find that once kids become a reality you simply can't face the thought of trying to relocate all of your life to somewhere snowy for a week, so don't get too hung up on it. Life moves on, and things change, including you. When the time comes, you may be terrified by the thought of letting them out of your sight wink
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
When the time comes, you may be terrified by the thought of letting them out of your sight wink

I have never been as scared as I was on a chairlift with little miss for the first time. She's swinging around, all 'ooh what's that over there daddy?', whilst I'm pinning her back on the chair like a roided-up bouncer Laughing
ski holidays
snowymum wrote:
I appear to be in a minority on Snowheads in that I did not have straightforward pregnancies, an easy time when my first child was born or grandparents to help out on ski holidays.

Whilst our original intention had been to carry on having one ski hol a year as before, we did not properly enjoy ski hols with our children until the youngest was 2. Since then we have had one or two excellent family ski holidays a year and feel very fortunate.

My wife was in bed for the last third of both her pregnancies. We tried to go skiing once, with in-laws and grandma, and it was a bit of a disaster as we hadn't been open about the fact that we were expecting them to look after baby for a bit, and they didn't want to. Our fault. Didn't help that the resort/snow was crap (Sierra Nevada, Spain).

The next time we went was when the little one was 3 or 4 and the older somewhere around 6. No-one else. Changed mentality; we parents did not expect to do any respectable skiing, it would be the children's holiday, we'd only introduce the children to snow and skis and hope they like it. Older one yes, younger no.

Things got better with age.

We don't really have summer holidays - they're usually at grandparents' (cheapest hotel for 3 weeks).
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
bobcat wrote:

If me and my husband decided to have kids...

ahem isnt this the kind of thing you decide before marriage?

We've both been unsure since we met in 2007. It's not a deal breaker either way.

Still reading your responses guys but I'm at work right now
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy