Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unhealthily fat, obese skis?

Poster: A snowHead
This one will draw Parlor out of the woodwork.

The dangers of using skis that are wider than your skiboots outer dimensions. Descuss. wink

Excessive force on bindings and knees. Each mm causing huge amounts of extra torque.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, knees are wrecked by narrow-waist skis that carve aggressively when falling, with the skier in the back seat.

Check out the work of Ettlinger, Johnson and Shealy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Abominable snowHead, You're a bright chap try thinking a little for yourself.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Phew, at first I thought the thread was about me!.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh Ski's I thought it said SKiers

I must admit I like a narrower ski, that makes me a bit of a relic nowadays.

Then again I dont do off piste, only when I miss the edge markers NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The Abominable snowHead, You're a bright chap try thinking a little for yourself.

Here's a thought, then: if the torque to the knees was increased by a wider ski then the width of the ski would be a factor in calculating the DIN setting of the bindings.

Which it isn't. The length of the boot sole is, though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Abominable snowHead, Exactly my thoughts, it should be. Skis wider thann boots are a fairly new concept. Thankx for staying on track. This is a test easily proved with a packet of cigarettes and a box of matches. Firstly useing the cig box as the boot and the matches to represent the width of the ski. Different combinations of width of boxes on top of each other show my point. Put the cigs box flat on it's back then place the match box sand side down on the middle of the cigs. Place your finger on top of the matches and roll from side to side as if edging, very little effect on the ski? Imagine the torque on the binding if there were one between the two boxes, try using double sided tape between the two boxes. The match box tears away without any effect on the cig box. Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, AFAIK though that torque that you are talking about ( Laughing ) is in the wrong axis for a severe knee injury. The bad torque is one that leads to rotation of the lower leg in comparison to the femur, which I'm not sure will be affected very much by ski width.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Kramer's right: the danger to the knee arises from the lower and upper leg twisting from each other, plus (I think) the support of the back of the boot blocking the natural collapse of the lower leg as the skier falls backwards - so the femur tries to separate from the lower leg.

With a wide ski there's much less turning and carving effect of the ski, so I think the twisting of the leg is reduced rather than increased. Knee injuries have become a modern phenomenon in skiing because of plastic boots and skis that carve better.

SZK, I don't smoke, but if you can lend me the cig box I can do your experiment. Would be more interested in hearing the views of a ski bindings/injuries researcher though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, The Knee thing seems to be very true, those we have whom ski larger than boot width are upping din and suffering lateral knee pain. Geometry seems simple to me and torque tests are proving conclusive. The same tests are being employed as the ones for binding height and ski boot height under FIS regualations.
I think your point about lower leg-femur relations are valid if gait is in effect. As the binding controls lateral force introduced by the knee, resistance within the boot, coller height has a massive effect on lateral forces at knee level Little Angel
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My knees have always been a concern to me. I've badly damaged an ACL in one knee (no surgery yet), torn medial ligaments in both knees and have a golf ball size lump of muscle on my inner thigh from having torn several muscles. This winter my knees have been very strong and given me no issues at all. That's after skiing mainly on my Prophets (155/130/148). At this point in the season my whole body aches, least of all, and normally the sorest, are my knees. Perhaps I'm getting more graceful as I get older Twisted Evil I've skied harder this year than ever before. Having hiked the Mont Gele three times yesterday with no trouble, I'm gonna say twaddle to fat skis being unhealthy.

And then I'll think about it for a while.

There's some sense in that there geometry. The Prophets have got quite a shovel on them and there are times (cement / crunchy crud) when the you need to really push that bad boy through the snow, thus increasing the forces on the knees. In truth, I really haven't noticed any additional pain from skiing.

I've been thinking for a while how much easier I find skiing bumps now, in terms of technique and energy expediture. Less knee movement is required for me to swing from the pivot of my mogul turn to find the ski edge as I descend into the trough of the mogul. This makes sense to me, I just wish I could find a better way to describe the action. Perhaps this reduced force is making up for the increased forces on my knees... Twisted Evil

I have actually had this discussion this winter with a friend who has pulled the toe piece off Gotamas, twice. He believes that is is increased force from skiing wider skis. I'm not going to deny that there is something in it and be intersting to think / talk some more about it. In the mean time. Snowballs. Fat is beautiful. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Let's face it, skis wider than your boots are just a generally bad idea. As are skis any shorter than hand above head height. One day normal service will resume.

SZK, I'm sorry, we had a lovely day on Grand Envers yesterday but were hampered by skiing some generally hideous Salomon skis. At some point I will come in for a chat.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It seems to me, that as the wider ski has more leverage on the binding the ski is going to get pulled off more often when one gets a bit out of shape, especially as the ski is likely to be used in deeper snow. However, the leverage is created by the snow, not the ski, and these skis are more likely to keep a skier near the surface, where snow exerts less force. This means that most of the time the problem is self remedying. (This makes sense to me, but then I have O-levels and A-levels and OLOGIES (albe-em 23 years out of date) coming out of my orifaces Laughing.

The problem only becomes a problem when you have a skier regularly getting out of shape, and losing skis. This skier may resort to upping his/her DIN settings, and therefore transferring extra load to the leg, thus resulting in injuries. The skier should not increase DIN because of the extra width, but should work out what he/she was doing wrong in the first place.

My recommendation is that extra width should not be used to calculate an increase in DIN. If the DIN is set the same as for a narrow ski, which comes off without injury, then the wider ski exerting higher leverage will come off quicker, but at the point of breaking free will still be exerting the same force as the narrow ski, required to break free at that DIN setting. Decreasing DIN, to compensate for extra leverage of wide skis, just means the skis will come off even easier, probably at times when a recovery was likely.

Conclusion: extra width changes nothing, unless one tampers with the recommended settings.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Imagine a triangle wide at its base, the wider the base the more difficult it would be to topple it over its angle. Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about monoskis, or Alpine snowboards?
snow report
pam w, Compensated by a single interface and different distribution of lateral force. Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, the pivot is assumed under the centerline of the ski? Underbinding plate height increase proportional to increase in waist dimension. Give the knee a longer lever.
snow report
comprex, Won't get any of the guys out here on a plate, they want to 'on the ski', however, what would be the equasion for finding correct plate height, over boot width, over ski width. Little Angel

P.S. Still working on your Ad-Ab-ducted boot mod', i'm so tired, lost my wallet, keys and coat all in one week.
snow report
Nick_C wrote:
I must admit I like a narrower ski, that makes me a bit of a relic nowadays.

Then again I dont do off piste, only when I miss the edge markers :P

I ski a 65mm waist ski and I only ski "off-piste".

Regarding DIN settings beeryletcher seems to have it about right to me. The DIN setting is the force needed to release a boot from the binding. Obviously the higher the setting the more strain is put onto bones, joints, ligaments etc. That said there are allowances made for fat skiers (etc. to prevent prerelease) so maybe allowances need to be made for fat skis but if that is the case you shouldn't ski a ski fatter than your legs can handle.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 16-04-06 9:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
For any given skier there is an acceptable envelope of binding settings. The bottom end would be the lowest usable setting, that at which, on your laziest day, your most aggressive movement would not cause a pre-release. I guess that's sort of equivalent to a -1 setting. The top end of this would be the highest setting at which a sudden force would still allow your boot to escape, where any higher a setting would instead cause your leg to break/wrench. This is way above +3. Someone once told me how the DIN binding scale (actually it's not set by the DIN organisation anymore, but that's another story) was calculated. I don't know whether they used modelling or volunteers wink but it is indeed to do with the force required to break/wrench or in some other way bug-up your leg. Width of knee is used as a surrogate for practical purposes, together with expected leverage. There would be an estimated top end for anyone, where there's more than say a 5% chance of serious leg injury, beyond which it would be very inadvisable to go. Anywhere up to that point, you could use as your chosen binding setting for all skiing if you so chose but of course there's little point and a little potential danger in having the DIN any higher than necessary to prevent a pre-release for whatever the skiing you're doing (or ski you're using).

NB this may be slightly out of context as I orig posted this in another thread Toofy Grin
latest report
slikedges wrote:
NB this may be slightly out of context as I orig posted this in another thread :-D

A bit off topic by I understand that the official scale only goes from 1-10 and that bindings with higher DINS are extrapolations by manufacturers from that scale?

I'm also told that some bindings, if you crank them up to their max DIN, crank them down again they won't ever reach their max DIN (I'm told this is the case for the Naxo NX01 touring binding). However for that to be true it would imply that the springs are being tensioned beyond Young's modulus, which seems like a design error in the binding to me?

Anyway, enough already, there is 30cm of fresh snow above 1900m today.
latest report
As best I can tell ski waist sizes in the US are increasing proportionally to the waist sizes of the skiers. At the rate things are going 100mm skis will be the norm within a decade.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
As are skis any shorter than hand above head height. One day normal service will resume.
Shocked Shocked Shocked NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Personally I have no desire either to ski much wider than the boot or higher than my head!!!
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Wink There sure was... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
PG wrote:
davidof wrote:
Wink There sure was... Madeye-Smiley

Hmmm it was more like 10cm in the end Confused
snow report
Rio wrote:
As best I can tell ski waist sizes in the US are increasing proportionally to the waist sizes of the skiers. At the rate things are going 100mm skis will be the norm within a decade.

Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I ask about the assumed pivot point to slightly elaborate the answer to pam w: if the edge is the assumed pivot point, then a monoskier's bindings might actually be quite close to being just above it.

Edit: whatever happened to offset binding mounts, as in the Powder Plus era?
ski holidays
PS, forgot to ask whether you'd noticed any problems at the binding screws.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy