Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please; mid-March trip, 4 people chalet-hotel options

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. First post here so please be nice Smile

Having not skied for 6 years I've managed to cobble together a group of 4. One good friend of mine and then another couple.

We're looking at the w/c 15th March so I've been doing alot of research on the more snow-sure resorts. I'm torn though, I think we like the vibe of Austrian resorts a bit more. They seem a bit cheaper on the ground (lunches, beers) and I dunno, I just prefer the attitude over there? That may be conjecture but for all the people recommending France, 3Vs etc. I just think sheesh everything sounds so pricey in the big French resorts....?

So question 1, what would be the more snow-sure resorts in Austria to go at that time of year?

Question 2, I was struggling to find the answer to question 1 so pondered France. Tignes sounded like a good bet but I'm struggling to find accommodation.

In both cases we'd be looking for a catered chalet-hotel. Was looking at a couple of Mark Warner options for Tignes but it seems a little pricey at £1k/pp and very family-orientated. We're all mid-thirties so want a bit of apres, not putting up with screaming kids at breakfast/dinner!

Thanks for any pointers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you just looking for accomadation, or flights & transfers included?
Are you only looking for chalet-hotels, or would hotels or chalets also be acceptable?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Preferably accom, flights and transfers included. I'm actually struggling to find the best places to look for accomm only, I'm happy to do that I just don't know where to start! I'd have no issues booking 4 flights and a transfer separately. Easy.

Honestly I'm open to anything. Chalets well there doesn't seem to be much out there (either in Tignes or absolutely nothing in Austria?). Because each twosome don't really know each other we'd probably want 2 rooms with 2 ensuites and the few chalet options I've found seem to cater to big groups that know each other (obviously!) and are happy sharing bathrooms etc. That's probably not for us.

I'm trying not to sound too particular, I'm just not sure where to start... thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scam, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Would you be prepared to do a late booking? There'll be plenty of availability in the category you're looking at that week. You get to see snow conditions, forecast (ish) and probably save money too.

Can advise likely snowsure resorts but that's a bit limiting if we happen to get a good March for snow, which it has been most years in the last decade or more.

Which airport(s) do you prefer to fly from?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @PeakyB

I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong, but looking at all the TOs I can think of I'm just not seeing much availability at all. Looking at no more than £1k/pp for catered-accom/flights/transfer seems like it should be plenty! Would prefer to spend around the £800 mark mind...

One caveat is that one member of our group can't fly Sat 14th, so it has to be Sun 15th which seems to count out alot of the TOs.

If you were booking for catered chalet/hotels separatel, what sites would you be looking at? Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/chalet_la_perle.html

6 beds available for 15th/3rd no connection, but have been trying to get a guide/feel for prices for next season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scam, Mountainsun's place in Tignes might suit if you're looking for cheap & cheerful. They do have some e/s rooms as I recall
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You are pretty safe wherever you choose in Austria around that time.
The season runs on through March normally without too much a problem.

I wouldn't focus too much on height but go for the larger areas which will present a variety of options.
Ski Circus (Saalbach), Ski Amadé (Flachau/Schaldming etc..) Then you will have access the 'highs' and the 'lows' Laughing Laughing

Flights to Salzburg will find you a transfer/car hire/train ride away from the areas listed above... Ski Amadé within the hour, Ski Circus within about 1.5.

Lots of accommodation available via OTA's like booking.com / expedia / airbnb / or find a town you fancy and ask the tourist board.

There isn't a big 'chalet' styled trade in Austria, some places (like ourselves) provide a chalet styled holiday, of course hotels will all offer half-board options too.

Anyhoo... let us know how you get on!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scam, Sunday cuts down the field but best day to travel IMO.

Alpine Answers a good site for France, with useful filters and honest descriptions I think.
They feature some Austria, mainly Arlberg valley.

Iglu Ski decent search site too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scam, have you tried IGLU?

France:
https://www.igluski.com/ski-holidays?country=FR&date=22032020&flex=no&board=al&board=ca&board=hb&ad=4&ch=0&perpage=10&sort=2&state=0

Austria:
https://www.igluski.com/ski-holidays?country=AT&date=22032020&flex=no&board=ca&board=hb&ad=4&ch=0&perpage=10&sort=2&state=0
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scam,
Accommodation for Tignes:-
https://mountainsunfrance.com/winter/
http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/
https://www.tignes-spirit.com/flats/catered_chalets
https://www.chaletchardons.com/en/our-chalets/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La paix wrote:
Thanks for this, definitely could be an option. Perhaps a bit too cosy especially if we're lumped in with another group but I guess that's part of the experience.

red 27 wrote:
@Scam, Mountainsun's place in Tignes might suit if you're looking for cheap & cheerful. They do have some e/s rooms as I recall
Also looks good but judging from my research Les Boisses might be a bit quiet for us in the evenings?

@flangesax thanks for the notes. I had already put a pin on Saalbach as a potential but was struggling to find accommodation. Any pointers? Like I siad, we don't necessarily want a chalet, in fact a catered hotel (or chalet-hotel if you call them that) would probably be preferable Smile

Quiet day at work.. will continue with posted links thanks @crosbie and @Kenzie
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Usually suggest Silverski for cheap late deals and Sunday flights I think. Only two or three resorts and in France but a good base price might offset the higher day to day costs and tempt you. L
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at MMV club hotels. There is one in Tignes called Club Hotel les Brevieres. We have not been to that one but went to the MMV run hotel in St Gervais once and it was excellent value.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kenzie wrote:
@Scam,
Accommodation for Tignes:-
https://mountainsunfrance.com/winter/
http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/
https://www.tignes-spirit.com/flats/catered_chalets
https://www.chaletchardons.com/en/our-chalets/
Thanks for this. Any thoughts on staying in Les Brevieres? It seems a little quieter than Le Lac or Val Claret, I know 2 of our group will probably want to head out for some drinks after dinner most nights (well I'm assuming).

If we're all intermediates I'm assuming getting around the skit area is not much of a faff?
ski holidays
Silverski deffo have availability that week in smaller catered chalets La Tania and Le Praz (the Courchevel side of 3V)..quoting £619 pp with Sunday flight. if you’re a bit rusty, La T might be better if the two for easy skiing access to and from the resort slopes. I worked for them years ago for a season. Their staff tend to be a bit more mature (as was I back then ). They offer very good value.
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
Silverski deffo have availability that week in smaller catered chalets La Tania and Le Praz (the Courchevel side of 3V)..quoting £619 pp with Sunday flight. if you’re a bit rusty, La T might be better if the two for easy skiing access to and from the resort slopes. I worked for them years ago for a season. Their staff tend to be a bit more mature (as was I back then ). They offer very good value.
Thanks for that. I will investigate.

Obviously I was shouting about places like Tignes because I wanted to ensure we had some snow, would La Tania be any risk whatsoever? I'm assuming given it's part of the 3V's it's unlikely (or perhaps we might not be able to ski back to the front door?). Just wanted to weigh up the risk there. Also, how's the nightlife?
snow report
@Scam, If it is Austria you want then why not just book an apartment and go self-catered. What that really means for 4 grown ups is get some rolls and Bacon in for breakfast, lunch on the piste, Apres from 4-6pm and then back, quick shower and hit one of the many great restaurants in somewhere like Flachau. Have a look on our Facebook Page for some ideas and drop us a line if you're interested. @flangesax, place in Radstadt would be my top tip if you want someone else to do the cooking!!
latest report
@Scam, La Tania is a snowsure base, with easy access to Courchevel and great long days out potential to Meribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens etc.

Not big on nightlife but a couple of lively bars with music, one has live bands. Most accommodation is either on or a very close walk to /from the slopes.

If nightlife important to you and you’re thinking of Espace Killy, then Val D’Isere is livelier than Tignes. Also La Daille is a good option. Great base for skiing and 10 minutes free bus to/from centre of Val D.

The lower Tignes villages (Brevieres, Boisses, 1800) are quiet. Lavachet might be a better value option than Le Lac centre or Val Claret and is close enough for evening drinks.
snowHead
snow report
Thanks guys. I've had a few back-and-forths with TOs regarding Tignes to no avail, and my eyes are now opened a bit more to 3V. I just can't get over the fact that [a] _everyone_ goes there [b] I've always equated it with being the one of the most expensive resorts out there (bar the silly Swiss ones??)

How do people rate La Tania overall? When I say I'm worried about nightlife, personally if we're in a chalet my friend and I would be perfectly happy to drink all the free wine and retire at a reasonable midnight so as to get the most of the skiing (I live in London, if I want to buy overpriced beer I'll just go out after work Very Happy ). But, the other 2 in our group we don't know that well, are a bit younger and possibly would.

Maybe I should just open the discussion up to suggestions of any chalet deals for 15th March, in relatively snow-sure resorts? I've had my eye on Cervinia too but not finding much.
snow report
@Scam, try https://www.vip-chalets.com

If you want to go budget, then do as @RedandWhiteFlachau suggests, and get a s/c apt - that way you might even bear the loss of the first night if you book Sat/Sat.

Moreover, book your own flights, or, even cheaper, drive out as soon as your "can't fly Saturday" pal is ready.
snow conditions
Might be too pricey but we stayed once at a chalet hotel in St Christoph (think it was Sporthotel). Slope side (well, bottom). Snow sure and access to Arlberg.
Apres a little quiet but easy enough to ski down to St Anton and bus/taxi back (15 ish mins from hazy memory..anyway not really inconvenient).
snow conditions
@Scam,
Quote:

I had already put a pin on Saalbach as a potential but was struggling to find accommodation. Any pointers?

If you want my help. just send me a PM with your email address. I can send you my own 20 page, comprehensive guide to Saalbach and the Ski Circus; also some suggested itineraries, and recommendations for accommodation.

It should be borne in mind that catered chalets are not so common in Austrian resorts. The formula of a ready-made, closeted social circle and affordable food and drink works well in France, but they are really not needed in most Austrian resorts, where there is a real social "buzz", and dining out is not only affordable, but, for many, part of the enjoyment of the holiday.

In the last two seasons the middle of March has provided some of the best conditions. Also the flights tend to be cheap, so a good time to visit.
latest report
@Scam,
Quote:

my eyes are now opened a bit more to 3V. I just can't get over the fact that [a] _everyone_ goes there [b] I've always equated it with being the one of the most expensive resorts out there (bar the silly Swiss ones??)

3V is one of the best ski areas in the world, so it's not going to be bargain basement. However, if you get a good chalet package deal, that takes care of most of the cost.
When it comes to drinks, lunches, etc, like everywhere else, there are good value places and rip off places. The full area lift pass isn't cheap but I'd say you get a lot of bang for your buck.
In terms of cost, generally avoid Courchevel 1850. La Tania, Le Praz and Les Menuires probably the best value bases, though bargains often crop up in Meribel too.
Nightlife wise, Meribel centre probably the liveliest.
ski holidays
La paix wrote:

6 beds available for 15th/3rd no connection, but have been trying to get a guide/feel for prices for next season!

Have you stayed with this people before?

I found them via google and they look interesting for us for next season, so came searching here for any mention of them
latest report
@NickyJ, - Stayed with them twice last season - Really good friendly atmosphere - Hoping to get a week end of this season but will be going with them next season
snow conditions
@Seagull66, brilliant. Thanks
ski holidays
Don't you think that self-drive and a self-catering apartment is going to be the safest option? In terms of both health and risk of cancellation etc. I just think that the remainder of this season is going to be so uncertain that you'd want to de-risk it as much as possible. And driving down in your own car and having your own place maximises that. I appreciate that for some people, self-catering is anathema and self-driving is tedious. But it might make the difference between having a holiday and not. And you could book the Eurotunnel slots now without necessarily having to choose the destination until later.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have stayed in la Tania, courchevel, and Val thorens. Club Med in VT is great and got an all inclusive trip for 1k a couple of years ago, which included everything (lift pass, am and pm lessons, food, beer, wine, flights, Xfer etc). VT location is gr8 providing there are no whitouts or excessive wind, easy to get to Meribel, and courchevel via Salire. La Tania has one of the best runs to resort, folyeres, have skied it in April and was ok. They have a gr8 pub there, pub le ski lodge, run by Tim Wall, he does snow reports on Latania.co.uk, well worth a look. If I was going in April would choose VT, if in March would go for la Tania......
snow report
@Scam, Welcome..

Not trying to scare you but just a realistic take/warning. I am Swiss/Dutch National & we have travel restrictions until at least Mid March.

Are you planning For this season March 2020/2021??

If so forget it . I would not book anything for this season as it is very unlikely French/Austrian/Italian/German resorts will be open for Foreign Tourists.

Traditional February Holidays are OFF for nearly ALL Europeans. This would make the rest of the season un economic to continue..

There is currently no indication when Travel will be allowed so IMO many Ski Areas will Close early this season , possibly as soon as the end of January.

STAY AT HOME

Wait for Next for next season 2021/2022

Should not be problem ...
latest report
@LaForet @stanton, the OP is from Jan 2020. I suspect that as their travel date was 15th March 2020 they probably didn't get there.
snow report
LOL @ stanton for wasting her one-troll-per-day on a year-old thread Laughing
snow report
Quote:

stanton
down a crevasse

@Scam, Welcome..

Not trying to scare you but just a realistic take/warning. I am Swiss/Dutch National & we have travel restrictions until at least Mid March.

Are you planning For this season March 2020/2021??

If so forget it . I would not book anything for this season as it is very unlikely French/Austrian/Italian/German resorts will be open for Foreign Tourists.

Traditional February Holidays are OFF for nearly ALL Europeans. This would make the rest of the season un economic to continue..

There is currently no indication when Travel will be allowed so IMO many Ski Areas will Close early this season , possibly as soon as the end of January.

STAY AT HOME
]

If what you say is true then maybe the tour companies should stop taking bookings and advertising because every single company is taking bookings for this season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy