Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest non-stopover drive, e.g. from UK to Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It is not Cool or Sensible to Drive long Distances overnight especially on the other side of the road..and then start physical exercise on the slopes

A huge majority of Winter Tourists never do any other exercise during the year.

Arriving early in a resort extremely tired is a recipe for a a Coronary..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did Altenmarkt back to Telford (Salop) in one hit in a Clio diesel back in 2003. 980 miles alone. Never again.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
It is not Cool or Sensible to Drive long Distances overnight especially on the other side of the road..and then start physical exercise on the slopes

And don't forget the flip side - the poor employer who has to cover the cost of a barely effective employee on their recovery day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the 1980s I used to do Manchester to Serre Chevalier regularly - leaving work at 17:00, ferry Ramsgate-Dunkirk (remember Sally lines anyone?) and arriving in Serre Che around lunchtime - no stops. I couldn’t/wouldn’t do it now though. My current pattern (from Worcestershire) is to leave home at about 19:30 to get the 23:30 Brittany ferries sailing from Portsmouth to Le Havre. Sleep on the ferry and then drive Le Havre to Serre Che in one go (takes 8-9 hours with minimal stops).

Coming back I usually leave Serre Che in the evening and stop at Chalon-sur-Saône, leaving the following morning to catch the 17:00 ferry from Le Havre back to Portsmouth. This usually gets me back home just after midnight.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surrey to French Alps a few times. Have learned the hard way: avoid the ferry, avoid the mont blanc tunnel, and set off early. And get cruise control, and get the French motorway tag.

About 12 hours.

Hate flying with skis, and transfers, and want the flexibility. Have busy lives so a stopover means buying extra holiday and is not worth the cost.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy