Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for areas to stay near St Anton needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I am driving out to Austria (St Anton / Lech area) to hand deliver something early on Friday morning on the 7 February 2020.

Once the delivery is made, I can either set off back to the UK immediately or hang around and do a day or two's skiing in the area (ideally with an instructor) before returning to the UK.

The usual online searches are not showing any available accommodation in St Anton, Lech or Ischgl for just the Friday and / or Saturday night. I am going to assume that I am unable to find any accommodation in these resorts for just one or two nights. I will have a suitably winterised car, so I can pretty much stay anywhere nearby and drive up to the ski area.

Can anyone recommend any nearby locations in which to search for accommodation?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Landeck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll struggle to find something anywhere close. If you have to drive back I'd suggest you head North to the Oberstdorf/Sonthoffen area in Germany. Plenty to ski for a couple of days. Try the team at Nordic Blowfish for a place to stay. Great bunch. https://www.nbfalpineadventures.com/about/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or look in the opposite direction to Landeck and go for Bludenz.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sleep in the car/van
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for your replies. I’ve just booked a couple of nights at a hotel in / near Bludenz (Trauben Braz Alpen Spa Golf Hotel). Apparently 20 mins from the nearest skiing and 40 mins from Lech and St Anton.

Now, does anyone have any recommendations for a ski instructor / guide for any of the nearby resorts?

I don’t intent to tour or go off piste, just a ski companion with a bit of knowledge to gives some hints and tips as we ski around a bit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...or try closer to the date to see if you can snare a cancelled booking.

I take it that you have included the down-Valley villages, eg Pettneu, Flirsch, Strengen, etc in your search? If not, perhaps expand your search criteria.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sasha320, I just had a quick look on the St Anton site and there are a couple of options for the date you mention https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodations/accommodation-search. You would be better off waiting until nearer the time as many owners are reluctant to book rooms for one or two nights (especially Saturday night) too far in advance. That said you mention wanting to ski with an instructor, does that imply you have not got a lot of skiing experience? If so you might be better off somewhere else that St Anton. Lech would be fine though generally accommodation is in shorter supply than St Anton (unless you have a very large budget). You could look at some nearby areas, Serfaus - https://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/en or Montafon - https://www.montafon.at/en come to mind. With Serfaus you can easily stay in Landeck if you cant find anywhere to stay in the resort itself (easy enough to drive to St Anton too) and Bludenz is not far from the Montafon villages (and easy enough to get to Zürs / Lech).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sasha320 wrote:
Thank you for your replies. I’ve just booked a couple of nights at a hotel in / near Bludenz (Trauben Braz Alpen Spa Golf Hotel). Apparently 20 mins from the nearest skiing and 40 mins from Lech and St Anton.

Now, does anyone have any recommendations for a ski instructor / guide for any of the nearby resorts?

I don’t intent to tour or go off piste, just a ski companion with a bit of knowledge to gives some hints and tips as we ski around a bit.

What sort of level skier are you? Try New Generation for St Anton or Lech.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the further replies.

I’m advanced skier so happy to ski anywhere. The reason for the instructor / guide is to be able to ski with someone knowledgeable in the area.

I guess there’s another motive for the trip, which is to scout out family friendly resorts / ski areas in the area and so my next question is whether anybody has any recommendations for a high(ish) resort in the area that is family friendly? (For when I cart fhe family out next season).

I’m particularly interested in the resorts in the area that aren’t Lech, St Anton or Ischgl.

Eg what are the Montafon villages like?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So you’re looking at Arlberg, but actually not? Puzzled
A bit much for 1-2 nights...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sasha320, the obvious spot is Serfaus, its very family friendly and reasonably high (though not as snowy as the Arlberg). It is possible to do a day trip from Bludenz but not sure it makes sense to drive past all the other places. The Montafon villages are very traditionally "Austrian" though not been there often enough to suggest the best one. Lech is also very family friendly but not necessarily budget friendly.It might be a good idea to buy "Where to ski in Austria" see https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/ which will answer most of your questions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for further replies.

The itinerary is ambitious and I expect I won’t get around as much as I’m imagining I might here in the UK.

That said, to stave of boredom I intend to keep moving (whether on skis, the car or even on foot walking through the village) so I think I’ll see a fair bit.

Just identified a small shocker - the Arlberg tunnel at 10 Euros each way will limit my movements out of Bludenz - possibly a blessing in disguise. Leaving me to focus on Zurs, Lech and maybe one other less well known resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sasha320,
How about Damuls?
20 mins drive north from Bludenz- no Arlberg tunnel needed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting. Damuls may be the Sunday morning option en route to Germany.
snow report
@sasha320, assuming the weather is OK just drive over the pass, no need for the tunnel. That said more than enough on the west side of the Arlberg to keep you amused.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@sasha320, assuming the weather is OK just drive over the pass, no need for the tunnel. That said more than enough on the west side of the Arlberg to keep you amused.

Now you’ve told me there’s a pass that is sensitive to inclement weather, I’m going to have to use it!
snow report
Arlberg is connected since some years already....
ski holidays
German (+others) School Holidays begin that weekend Friday 7th Night & Saturday 8th will be Very busy on the roads
snow report
Dammuls Smile
I love that place, but it's been so long since I've been there.

I think it would be a bit of a phaff to go from there to get to Warth,
Then a lift over to Lech
and then trek to Stanton.

I'd have booked a couple of nights B&B in Pettnau, which is on the ski bus route to St Anton.

We used to stay with the "Feuerstein's" (Flintstones Yabba dabba doo ... it was a long time ago)

@sasha320, Have a great time, I hope the weather is good.
(cos I'm going to Austria that week too)
snow report
Just a quick one on the above, you don't want Pettnau, you want Pettneu. The former is towards Innsbruck, by Telfs, and most definitely not on the ski bus route, the latter is about 10 minutes from St Anton on a couple of ski bus routes.

If you're driving from the UK and only staying a couple of nights, you'd be better off exploring some of the Vorarlberg resorts as it leaves you on the right side of the Arlberg tunnel for travel back as it can get pretty busy on changeover days during the school holidays.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy