Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Antwatrter or BASI for instructing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

I have been pondering a move to the mountains for some time and indeed have a thread over on the Piste section all about it. Now I know that instructing isn't all it is cracked up to be and there are downsides but I think that is maybe for another post. What I am looking for now is some steer on whether it is better to go the BASI or the Antwatrer route if you think you'll likely use the qualification in Austria (small chance that we'd go to Switzerland, Italy or Spanish Pyrenees but NOT France). I have read all the posts on here about it in a skiing context but these are a little old now and of course apply to two planks not one, although much of it will be relevant I am sure.

The main issue is the German I guess. I don't speak it yet but I intend to learn between now and the possible start date (October) and be at least proficient in basic German (building on GCSE and couple of easy courses at Uni a while ago). Is the German very demanding and is there any point even thinking about teaching if you aren't really proficient anyway? Has anyone done either and found a cost effective or at least good value way to do this? I am not opposed to paying for a good product but equally do not want to pay for things that I could sort out myself with a little time and effort.

Thanks very much for anyone who might be able to help and give their perspective.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've gone the Austrian route, primarily because I wanted to teach in Austria so it made more sense. Austrian route is more cost effective than BASI too, to teach on a mountain you'd need to be BASI 2 which will give you the Anwaerter equivalence in Austria. The 10 day Anwaerter course with the Wiener Verband for example is around €1200, which includes your lift pass, exam fees and half board accommodation. BASI 1 is £400 or so before you factor in lift pass, food, accommodation, plus you then have the level 2 on top.

You say the posts are all about skiing and don't apply to one plank, do I take it that you mean you are wanting to do the snowboard anwaerter? If so, you will struggle to find work for a full season as just a snowboard instructor, most ski schools will only take you for peak weeks unless you can also ski. I am dual qualified (ski and board, both only Anwaerter but almost Landes snowboard, just need to resit a couple of bits and do my alpin kurs), but spend most of my time teaching on skis as that is where the demand, and therefore the work, is.

German wise, I did German to GCSE level, and had worked in Austria for a few seasons prior to undertaking my instructor's course so already had a good understanding, I just didn't always know the technical/ski related words, but you do get a course book which contains the theory bits so that can help.

Hope that's of use, but any other questions feel free to drop me a message.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sitter wrote:
I've gone the Austrian route, primarily because I wanted to teach in Austria so it made more sense. Austrian route is more cost effective than BASI too, to teach on a mountain you'd need to be BASI 2 which will give you the Anwaerter equivalence in Austria. The 10 day Anwaerter course with the Wiener Verband for example is around €1200, which includes your lift pass, exam fees and half board accommodation. BASI 1 is £400 or so before you factor in lift pass, food, accommodation, plus you then have the level 2 on top.

You say the posts are all about skiing and don't apply to one plank, do I take it that you mean you are wanting to do the snowboard anwaerter? If so, you will struggle to find work for a full season as just a snowboard instructor, most ski schools will only take you for peak weeks unless you can also ski. I am dual qualified (ski and board, both only Anwaerter but almost Landes snowboard, just need to resit a couple of bits and do my alpin kurs), but spend most of my time teaching on skis as that is where the demand, and therefore the work, is.

German wise, I did German to GCSE level, and had worked in Austria for a few seasons prior to undertaking my instructor's course so already had a good understanding, I just didn't always know the technical/ski related words, but you do get a course book which contains the theory bits so that can help.

Hope that's of use, but any other questions feel free to drop me a message.

Thanks very much sitter that is of great help. I will take you up on your offer to help by messaging you Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy