Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any snowhead fancy a Christmas meet in Boug St. Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Just notice PG's place is still avialable.

I am trying to book two weeks for DIY skiing in the Christmas/New Year. Been to Bourg St Maurice 5 days this February so I am looking elsewhere really (Briancon, Selva Gardena & St Anton)). However Bourg St. Maurice can be very attractive to those are willing to drive. To balance the lost days in travelling two weeks should be aimed at.

The attraction of the trip is one can spend at least one day on each of

Valmorel (going from one end and back can take a day)
Val Thoren (crossing the 3-Valee and back can also take a day, peaks at 3200m)
Meribel (Very British, can see biggest skiing traffic jam)
Courchevel (The resort)
La Plagne (Highest point 3250m
Les Arcs (Europe's biggest vertical drop in one run, peaks at 3226m)
La Rosiere/La Thuile (Doing 2 countries in one day)
Ste Foy (famous for off piste)
Tignes ( ski at 3550m)
Val D'lsere (Ski at 3550m)

All of the above resorts are within a radius of 40 miles from Bourg St Maurice. We can in fact ski the whole Terentaise. The combined size of the resorts should beat anywhere in the world. The only downside I can see at the moment is the individual ski passes may be expensive and we have to allow for some resorts charging parking fees.

If there is sufficient response then I propose to spend 24/12 to 7/1 there. I shall be crossing from Newcastle to Amsterdam on 23/12. If there are sufficient snowheads taking part then those going one week and by flying may phase in too. I am seeing it no different to the Castleford or Milton Keynes meets except it is a bit longer so the fun should be there.

With PG permission of arriving late the forward jouney can be made in one day by me but the return has to be two days. With a bit of planning each party can take a different route to arrive there.

I would consider the trip viable if there is at least one snowhead willing to take his/her along, making a potential 10 participants. My Shogun has a potential 3 spaces. The two cars startegy gives a bit flexibility for skiers of different standards to do different things.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-08-04 18:11; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee, great idea, and I wish you well, but I won't be able to join you.
I'm interested in your itinerary though. One day (only) in each of those fantastic (and large) resorts? Call that a holiday? Now my idea of fun. I can invisage rush-rush-rush as you desperately try an cover as much of each resort as you can. I would rather get to know one resort well than have just a passing acquaintance with many. But this is the age of Speed Dating. Am I just old fashioned?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim,

I have been all but Ste Foy. It is true that one can enjoy it any way one wants as long as the chance is there. It is just a possibility and up to each party to make up their own mind. I am dividing the 3-Valee in three days and suggesting Val D and Tignes should be visited separately.

There is no mistake that if one add all the resorts together one can't find a bigger skiing opportunity anywhere else. There should be a couple of free days to do re-visits or go to Abertville to raid the shops too. For really hard core skiers they can even strike Chamonix if set outting earlier enough ( about 70 miles).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It would certainly be an experience! Not sure it would appeal to everyone.... but it would be a pretty impressive accomplishment to put down on a cv! If there are any takers, I would be happy to sort out things this end - and as it says on the site, I can pick a limited number of people up from either Lyon or Geneva airports, and arrange transport, etc, during the stay...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG,

Thanks PG. Thanks also for offering help to the snowheads flying in if they do come.

The room rate (slightly off resort like BSM) for going Austria (Tirol, Salzburg and Arlberg) and Italian Selva Gardena in Christmas is about twice your rate although they may include breakfast. Cost wise it is a good deal. For two crossing the North Seas, as in my case, the ferry and overnight accommodation is about £300. Staying even one week at BSM at 300 Euro per double room is about £500 for a couple plus fuel and food (ski pass extra as usual). That is very difficult to find if one wants to ski in Christmas anywhere with say 1/10 of the skiing opportunity in Tarentaise. More passenger in the car and staying for two weeks lower the cost further.

However Christmas is not popular with many snowheads wanting to stay home though. Jonpim is right that the rush-rush type of skiing is not every skier's cup of tea, although participants can always choose where they want to go as long as transportation constraint permits. The nice part of BSM is that it is at the doorstep of Les Arcs within walking distance to the funicular. So the activities can be played out in various way depending on everybody's fancy.

Tarentaise is so big that every level of skiers can be catered for at virtually any of the named resorts. I haven't find any place with such a high concentration of mega resorts on virtually just a single road. With mobility snow should not be difficult to find too with over 50% of the French peaks exceeding 3000m there. It is my opinion that any skier who has never set foot in Tarentaise hasn't really seen the French skiing resorts yet.

I am just surprised that no one put this idea forward. If there is no taker I would still do it but may be in later years.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One point though, the Christmas week rate is 'high season' whereas the following week the rate almost halves.... and stays cheap for four weeks, right through to the start of the French February school hols.

It's easier to do a discount during this period than in the one week when you know you can easily rent out at the full rate. Details at......

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 15-11-04 15:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG,

I have already asked for two-week for 2 of us first in your Chalet thread. If there are snowheads joining in then we arrange for something bigger with you (opportunity permitting). This is the type of trip that the wife and I would go regardless. I am a bit disappointed by the enquiries I made elsewhere and I didn't want to go back to Tirol and Salzburg again. Been to France for 6 years but this is only our second Christmas there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saikee,
we might be out at xmas/ny, we tend to visit a few resorts dependant on snow, so maybe we will see you or ski?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HG,

I have turned down offers to go to St Anton and Briancon and committed to try PG's place. You know where to find me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee,

Deb & I and twenty other buddies are in Courchevel from 3-9 Jan. Maybe we could meet up somewhere in the three valleys for a run or two if it fits in with your schedule.

Perhaps even a vin chaud or two also.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderjon,

Sorry been out of the country for 10 day.

That sounds a good idea. We will definitely will spend some time in 3V. HG will be in Boug too so we may even have a Snowhead regional meeting chaired by either PG or flying squirrel.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee,

Sound good. We'll speak nearer the time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, I am a new member and just browsing the site!
What an adventurous trip you're planning!
But like some others, I prefer not to rush around so much--and get to know each resort at a leisurely pace! Good luck & enjoy! NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to snowHeads Julieanne,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks! Interesting to note you are in Courchevel 3-9 January, as I have been thinking of going there too----stayed in La Tania a few years ago & skied in Couchevel then. Depends on available accomodation---if we go, would be nice to meet up with you & other snowheads! Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
PS To RAY ZORRO!
Sorry--I got a bit muddled! Almost as bad at using this site as I am at reading lift maps!!!----If you aren't in Courchevel--never mind, I haven't made definite plans yet either! Little Angel
latest report
saikee, Its a great idea would love to be able to go but can't free the time away from the family have fun if it comes off.
snow report
Sorry guys just came back from an overseas trip.

Welcome Julieanne.

Tarentaise 's resorts can all be reached within an hour drive. If we do not want travelling we can walk to the Boug St Maurice Funicular and ski Les Arcs everyday. However a 5 miles car journey can take us to the bottom chairlift to La Rosiere and the opportunity to ski to Italy's La Thuile. Tignes and Val D is just half hour to 45 minutes away. WIthin the same time in the opposite direction we coul be in La Plagne, 3V or Valmorel. It is the freedom and opportunity available there.

We drive because if the snow is really poor we could travel to find a resort that has enough snow. Tignes, Les Arcs and La Plagne all have terrain over 3000m and glaciers and so we should be safe in Tarentaise.

I am staying in PG's place in Boug. I believe Mark Hunter will be there in La Rosiere too staying in David@travxvax's place so there should be a few snowheads around. A new snowhead PP has apparently booked to stay in Boug at the similar time too.

Should be nice if we could form a party to raid Flying squirrel's den in Piesey (near Les Arcs to La Plagne new link).
snow report
saikee, Sounds fab but I already have 3 holidays booked between Jan and April. What we should maybe's do is plan for 2 weeks over next xmas and New Year, I would love to be skiing at xmas, much better than the usual family get together, what do you think? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I have committed my 2005 Christmas with Whistler. Got some secondary school pals in Vancourver.

I think HH has a flat of house in Boug, PG has two flats, David@traxvax also has accommdoation in La Rosiere and Flying Squirrel runs a pub in Piesey (said he can help on accommodation) and it is only natural that we should have a decent number of snowheads at Boug in Christmas time. If we can get a few cars together then a raiding party will be formed.

I think there will be a big party at the end of the season at BSM as PG is giving away the accommdotion plus agreeing to pick up snowhead at the airports (within reason of course).

Due to lack of response I have already booked the studio apartment with PG. His 6-person apartment is currently still available but I don't expect it to last long.

I am crossing the channel on 22 Dec and will spend 3 days in the Swiss side of Porte Du Soleil before coming to Boung on 26 Dec.
latest report
The Flying Squirrel Taxi Service is also operational for this season, should anyone require it.
RE : accommodation, I have nothing left over Christmas week at the moment.

... nearly winter, saikee!
snow report
flying_squirrel wrote:
The Flying Squirrel Taxi Service is also operational for this season, should anyone require it.
RE : accommodation, I have nothing left over Christmas week at the moment.

... nearly winter, saikee!

Mr Squirrel,

Could you PM me about the taxi service - prices etc - can probably put some of my customers your way. (Particularly for Bourg/Nancroix transfers).

Meg Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy