Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Custom x flying v opinion

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I managed to get hold of a 17 custom x flying v at a very reasonable price. I have Just spent a few days on it and couldn't get on with it at all.

I'm wondering if it was me, the conditions or the board or combination. I ended up getting a rental board for a few days which I got on much better with (huck knife) though wasn't as fast.

I really noticed when the slopes were washed out that it didn't bite at all on the hard patches. So much so I was being super cautious and slowing right down, board also slipped away a few times which want pleasant on steep bits. Not sure I would describe conditions as ice juts when then hard pack is exposed at the end of the day which makes me think I shouldn't have had an issue?

Day 1 we had fresh snow over night and it was great in the powder and on piste was soft. I started to notice lack of control on day 2 as the pistes got harder.

Im going again in April and know pistes will be hard in the morning so wondering if Its me and I need to sharpen up or if it's just the board not designed for the conditions?

I rode a salomon assassin last year in similar conditions and had no issues with harder snow. So I'm a bit puzzled.

Happy to flog it and buy a different board but also got some est bindings so would probably have to be a burton.

Grateful for any advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the same problem with mine, I thought it might just be too short, but I struggle to hold the heel edge on hard pistes and also find I get bounced around a lot. Not that I've used it in 2 years, as I ski instead, but I had though about replacing it with a Custom X at 5cms longer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@therock, Have you ridden a center rockered board before?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you learned an expensive mistake in learning why it was cheap Skullie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not a fan of the flying V profile. Camber between the feet and rockered tips makes much more sense to me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Have you ridden a center rockered board before?

First time, Ive ridden various camber and rocker at tips.

Quote:

you learned an expensive mistake in learning why it was cheap

Maybe but I see they have sold on ebay for similar amounts to I paid. I may keep it for days when conditions are better. Just trying to work out if that behaviour is normal.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've owned 2 full rockers - still have 1.

When the snow gets hard:
Trad camber - grip, grip grip, sudden let go.
Rocker - no grip from the start, controlled slide all the way, no sudden let go.

I don't have a clue but I wonder how well center rocker is suited to a stiffish board???? Most of the stiffer lib boards are c3.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I don't have a clue but I wonder how well centrocker is suited to a stiffish board???? Most of the stiffer lib boards are c3

To be honest I went into it wondering the same. Not sure rocker suits a stuff board, seems to be the opposite of what a stiff board is trying to do.

By no means a bad board though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ultimately, you can do anything on any board. Obviously some will perform better at certain tasks and in certain conditions.

I have a very soft, full-rocker board from a few years ago that is a barrel of laughs to ride. It is not a high-performance board by any means, but I can still carve it effectively. It will eventually lose grip on hard snow sooner than a stiffer, cambered board but it can still be made to perform fairly well. I am conscious of having to manage my inputs on it through the turn in order to keep it gripping, where I might just give it full beans on a more performance-orientated board.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like really like my rocker. It's about soft. I would live it to be a bit stiffer between the bindings. Maybe a custom or custom X is just that? Traction bumps would help too...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I saw they were offering the X in the Flying V profile I did wonder. Its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, like putting stabilisers on a downhill mountain bike. Pointless (unless you're in Burton's marketing department).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seems a bit of a condratiction to me. philwig knows alot about burton snowboards of this type. I guess it's trying to be a bit more forgiving for a daily driver but it seems it doesn't suit your style so sell it asap. If you're still a beginner you might want to demo some more boards before deciding. Problem with Burton boards is that there's just too many and they pretty much lose their particular attributes with a change of profile.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I owned a Custom Flying V with EST bindings and concur with your findings therock. When ridden off piste or in soft snow its a brilliant board as was doing 360's because you wouldn't catch an edge. It was also very quick but the trade off is its skittish on the hard pack. Carving was always a concern and you had to be absolutely sure you had an edge in otherwise it could be slam time as I soon found out . Having to brace yourself all the time was tiresome so I shifted it on and went back to a camber board Bataloen Goliath which I ride with a lot more confidence. It's a case of horses for courses as no one board will do everything really well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, I've sold it on now. Going back to a cam rock set up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all, I've sold it on now. Going back to a cam rock set up.
snow conditions
I don't generally run a Burton board, but :

Mate of mine, good recreational rider, has a Process FV, and bought a Custom FV because he obviously thought it would be 'better' ....... sold it and went back to the Process.

Anyway .......

Trying to 'force an edge' on most rockered boards, on hardpack, can be a recipe for disaster ....... you have to let them scrabble around a bit usually, like Bambi on ice ...... a lot of people don't like, or can't ride, this way.

If you need 'grip' in such conditions you'll want a cambered, or heavy camber hybrid, stiffish.

Also ...... just bought a Lib TR Pro C2, after years of riding an original SK8B ...... IMO 'rocker' and 'stiff' don't go in the same sentence ...... it's for sale at half it's sticker price if anyone wants it, done two on trail runs.

Soft rockered boards are for buggering around on, some of the best laughs you'll have, but can still hold a reasonable carve if you know what you're doing ..... wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy