Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire car in Munich or Salzburg?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
munich_irish wrote:
@klang180, it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. The drive from Munich is straightforward but on busy weekends (not related to UK half term) there can be quite long queues of traffic though given you would be arriving in the afternoon that is probably not so much of an issue. Salzburg is a bit closer but the route is almost all on single carriageway roads through various small towns etc. Driving times are probably about the same (assuming no traffic or weather issues). I would probably tend towards Munich as there is a greater choice of flights and less of a risk of flight problems (though that is fairly small) but it really doesnt matter very much at all. If the cost of a hire car is an issue for your holiday and Munich is cheaper that's your answer.

Brilliantly summed up and adds weight to my thinking now, thanks very much for that. I think the fact that the Salzburg flight doesn't get in until 4.30 as opposed to 1.45 for Munich means it is is probably going to be a slightly similar situation on arrival if there is traffic or slightly earlier if there is not!

Thanks to you and everyone who have contributed, what a great bunch of folks you are!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My experience of Salzburg car hire was, that it was ridiculously convenient, the people on the desk (Avis & Budget) were lovely, and they upgraded us from an Astra to a BMW 5 series MSport. So if it was me, I'd go Salzburg every time. Unless of course it was £200 cheaper to hire from Munich.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Riccardo wrote:
My experience of Salzburg car hire was, that it was ridiculously convenient, the people on the desk (Avis & Budget) were lovely, and they upgraded us from an Astra to a BMW 5 series MSport. So if it was me, I'd go Salzburg every time. Unless of course it was £200 cheaper to hire from Munich.

Laughing

Good info on the Salzburg element and loved the joke.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
klang180 wrote:
robandliza wrote:
How confident a driver are you and how good a google maps reader is the non-driver. I travel to Maria Alm by going cross country which avoids any motorway blues but does take 2.5-3 hours. I spent 7 hours getting there via motorway one year, just through sheer weight of traffic. Not that Maria Alm is anywhere close to Kitz but I'm sure someone here could give you a non motorway route.

Either arrival time will make it difficult to organise ski hire and lift passes on the day as I think most shops close at 6:30 although clearly not a deal breaker as you have 2 weeks
Return from Munich, I would go 14:40 as you could have a nice lunch prior to flying. I find the airport very quiet on returns, even during HT. Arrival is another matter altogether however

Just an added fyi, supermarkets will probably be closed on Sunday (they are in Maria Alm and surrounding areas anyway) so you will need to do any shopping on your journey to the resort

Thanks for your feedback. I will certainly look at the routes to Mittersill along back roads but it may be a step too far :S

No worries on the ski hire or passes, we have our own gear and usually are fine just to buy on the day as it only takes a few minutes. Agree on the times on return, early afternoon would seem ideal to me.

Good point about the supermarkets, it is always an issue for us arriving then but i guess we might find somewhere en-route if we're early enough!

The Billa supermarket in Mittersill opens on Sunday mornings and Hofer opens from 2pm to 6pm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Austrian Seagull wrote:
klang180 wrote:
robandliza wrote:
How confident a driver are you and how good a google maps reader is the non-driver. I travel to Maria Alm by going cross country which avoids any motorway blues but does take 2.5-3 hours. I spent 7 hours getting there via motorway one year, just through sheer weight of traffic. Not that Maria Alm is anywhere close to Kitz but I'm sure someone here could give you a non motorway route.

Either arrival time will make it difficult to organise ski hire and lift passes on the day as I think most shops close at 6:30 although clearly not a deal breaker as you have 2 weeks
Return from Munich, I would go 14:40 as you could have a nice lunch prior to flying. I find the airport very quiet on returns, even during HT. Arrival is another matter altogether however

Just an added fyi, supermarkets will probably be closed on Sunday (they are in Maria Alm and surrounding areas anyway) so you will need to do any shopping on your journey to the resort

Thanks for your feedback. I will certainly look at the routes to Mittersill along back roads but it may be a step too far :S

No worries on the ski hire or passes, we have our own gear and usually are fine just to buy on the day as it only takes a few minutes. Agree on the times on return, early afternoon would seem ideal to me.

Good point about the supermarkets, it is always an issue for us arriving then but i guess we might find somewhere en-route if we're early enough!

The Billa supermarket in Mittersill opens on Sunday mornings and Hofer opens from 2pm to 6pm.

Great tip, thanks very much for that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy