Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Let sleeping SNOWTRAINS lie?

Poster: A snowHead
munich_irish wrote:
There is now a direct sleeper service between Brussels and Innsbruck, I watched it depart from Innsbruck last night. Bunk beds and no restrictions on booze (it is run by Austrians!). No idea how many days a week it runs but if you want a sleeper train to get you the the alps it should be perfect. Eurostar to Brussels, the sleeper train departs from the same station so no treks across the city on the RER. Once in Innsbruck easy to get to St Anton, Zillertal, Ischgl, Kitzbühel even Dolomites.

runs 2 services a week there and back - Leaves Brussels on a Monday or a Thursday and Vienna on a Sunday and a Wednesday
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munich_irish wrote:
@dazzle109, the Guardian article says two nights a week in each direction

Man in Seat 61 says it will go nightly from the December 2020 timetable change:

"The Cologne-Vienna/Munich/Innsbruck Nightjet sleeper train will be extended to start from Brussels, initially twice a week from January 19, with a portion for Amsterdam starting in December 2020 when the Brussels portion will become daily This would be great news for passengers from London & UK."

https://www.seat61.com/news.htm
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LOTA wrote:
mgrolf wrote:
@Legend., the Swedish proposal is just an idea at this stage, there are a whole host of issues to sort (not least that Swedish sleepers are apparently too wide for continental tracks!

The night train up to Åre is great: zero stress, a good night's sleep and wake up in central Åre. If only it was so easy elsewhere.

Doing the sleeper to Are in March; great value (it would appear) for a first-class cabin! Looking forward to it very much.

Where from? Are you based in Sweden or Gloucestershire?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Legend., you can see he is based in Göteborg

mgrolf
super-snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FrediKanoute wrote:
runs 2 services a week there and back - Leaves Brussels on a Monday or a Thursday and Vienna on a Sunday and a Wednesday

Departs Brussels 1804 so 1258 Eurostar from STP is required. Arrives Innsbruck 0914.
Return departs Innsbruck 2044 arrives Brussels 1055. Though changing in Cologne gets you there quite a bit earlier at 0935, connecting with 1052 Eurostar arriving STP 1157.

Appealing but a long slog - not sure how it compares to flight options wrt timings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Legend., you can see he is based in Göteborg

mgrolf
super-snowHead

I was quoting LOTA whose location is Glos not Grolf, even I can see he is Gothenburg!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Legend., oops sorry!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hd, The earliest flight lands at 10.15 so I can see why it wouldn't be worth taking an extra half day leave for 1.5-2hrs extra on the slopes (1/2hr quicker to get off a train minimum). However if you were skiing at Soll etc in Tyrol , you would get to Kufstein at 08.28 just in time for first lifts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Legend., oops sorry!

Laughing snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Legend., I am based in the high alps of Glos!

However, we are having a weekend in Stockholm then taking the Sunday overnight train to Are, arriving in resort at around 8am. Time for an early check-in, a spot of breakfast, collect the lift passes and voila (or whatever it is they says in Sweden!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also remember the overnight snowtrain with some affection.

Some modern solutions:

https://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm
https://www.seat61.com/lunea.htm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@altis, those aren't 'solutions'. The solution is re-instating the Snow Train (the old rolling stock should be fine given it only has to do 50mph) - or another sleeper service.

The only ways of sleeping (horizontally) on a train to the Alps at the mo it seems are via Briançon and Austrian termini.

As we are seeing, sleeper trains are not going out of fashion, but quite the opposite. It's just a matter of a 'Richard Branson' kind of entrepreneur spotting this opportunity and being able to overcome French bureaucracy.

One day it'll be possible to board a train in London and disembark in Moutiers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie wrote:
... As we are seeing, sleeper trains are not going out of fashion, but quite the opposite. ...

Except that no-one is building anything new. France are cannibalising their old rolling stock to keep 4(?) limited services running. And Austria bought up the old German stock.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ecureuil, enough with the negative vibes man. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:
There is now a direct sleeper service between Brussels and Innsbruck

What! Shocked Shocked How the hell didn’t I know about this?
latest report
@ecureuil, the OEBB are buying new sleeper cars due in 2022 see https://www.nightjet.com/en/komfortkategorien/nightjetzukunft
snow conditions
I once took the train to Kins x then underground to Victoria to catch a bus to the alps, the Kings x to Victoria leg was awful with ski gear. The concept of train, change train/station, ferry, train, bus with ski gear Shocked just changing stations in Paris sounds like hell.
snow report
@tangowaggon, no, just requires a bit of loin-girding initially.

We've done it tens of times: first time, yes there is the fear of wrong turns, bad connections, poor signage, space problems, language issues. By the fifth time it's a breeze; by the 20th its just another day at the office (and this year even the cancellations of the Metro / RER due to strikes didn't phase us).
ski holidays
When working for Bladon Lines in the early-90s in the Putney office I once travelled out on the Friday, arrived Bourg Sat am, skied in Val d'Isere Sat, then took the train back Sat night, arriving back Sunday, into work Monday. Going out was fun - lucky with my couchette, the others pulled out a bottle of bubbly and a guitar and we had a little party. On the way back was exhausted and pretty much slept all the way to Calais (to then get the ferry of course, no Eurotunnel then!)
latest report
Coach from school to Victoria Stn. , train to the ferry, train onto the ferry, ferry to France, train off the ferry to Paris, change onto train to Austria, Pertisau. First time I ever went skiing . Juke box on the train playing "Walk right in" by the Rooftop singers. Straight skis ,leather boots. Very Happy
ski holidays
My kids, but not me, have used the Paris-Briancon sleeper a few times. Worked well on all occasions. Son no 1 even trained it all the way back to Durham via Eurostar and KGX on one occasion, although most times they have flown Paris/Newcastle part.
snow report
prometheus wrote:
Coach from school to Victoria Stn. , train to the ferry, train onto the ferry, ferry to France, train off the ferry to Paris..... Very Happy

When you say "train onto the ferry" and "train off the ferry" are you saying that the train carriages actually went onto the ferry? Shocked I'm aware that they do this on certain rare ferry crossings e.g the train ferry across the Straits of Messina to Sicily, but I wasn't aware that they ever did this on channel crossings.
ski holidays
Oh yes, The Night Ferry was an international boat train from London Victoria to Paris Gare du Nord that crossed the English Channel. It ran from 1936 until 1939 when it ceased due to the onset of World War II. It resumed in 1947, ceasing in 1980. It was operated by Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits until 1977 and then British Rail.
snow report
Although I can't remember the process , but do remember being somewhere around alsace-lorraine and the guard shutting all the curtains and telling us school kids not to open them until he said.....I have no idea why.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, search "train ferry Dover" and switch to images, there's many pictures of the ferry etc and the old infrastructure at Dover to load them.
snow conditions
@ski3, interesting, thanks. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy