Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to film skiing (for technique)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

My girlfriend and I want to film each other skiing to see if we can pick out some things we can improve on. When we use phones it's been pretty rubbish in that you start far away from each other and can barely see the skiing. What's the best way to do what we want?

From behind, following the other closely? The same but in front (this would seem very difficult?) From far away still but just get better at zooming in? Just get a go pro/action camera and use a stick/gimbal?

If there are any instructors around who do video analysis, how do you do it?

We ski twice a week and would only spend 10-15 minutes or so filming probably first thing

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Meltus, Well, it depends on who's skiing. This works for me Madeye-Smiley ...

http://youtube.com/v/ySZ5wrd_XMU
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meltus wrote:
Hey,

My girlfriend and I want to film each other skiing to see if we can pick out some things we can improve on. When we use phones it's been pretty rubbish in that you start far away from each other and can barely see the skiing. What's the best way to do what we want?

From behind, following the other closely? The same but in front (this would seem very difficult?) From far away still but just get better at zooming in? Just get a go pro/action camera and use a stick/gimbal?

If there are any instructors around who do video analysis, how do you do it?

We ski twice a week and would only spend 10-15 minutes or so filming probably first thing

Thanks!

If you have a compact camera with zoom you can get some quite good footage, in general do a side view, maybe with a bit of panning and a front view with the skier coming towards you, you'll need to experiment with the zoom level. Film in 4K if you can or 60fps if you really want to go into frame by frame detail. A tripod can help.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to use a proper video camera with a decent optical zoom. Would stop halfway down a pitch so you can record the subject coming towards you, side on then from behind in one run.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Meltus, do you not also need a good handle on what you are looking for on the video?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GoPro is very good for this. Or iPhone start with them not too far away and get half in front and then pan round and get half from behind
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GoPro's are ok for it but in my opinion you have to get overly close to the other skier to get decent usable footage to really analyse. It would also need to be shot using a gimbal or one of the latest GoPro's 7/8 that has Hypersmooth.

When i used to teach skiing and train regularly we used to find that by far the best way of shooting video to analyse was from a fixed position with a proper video camera that has a zoom.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Camera with a zoom is essential IMO. That could be a traditional camcorder or a compact camera with a zoom lens. An electronic viewfinder can be extremely useful if there’s bright sunlight as this can make seeing things on a screen almost impossible.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Point of View cameras like GoPro could be used, but you'd need to get very close with the camera on a pole, which I'd not want to even try with a novice. You'll also get lots of lovely background which isn't really what you want because the field of view is significantly larger than phones. The OP says the the phone's too wide, so this would make that worse.

Sticks (booms) for videoing someone else are quite hard to use effectively and require a great deal of snow skill in my opinion. Videoing yourself using a pole is easier, but you have to adapt your technique and novices will probably find it a challenge. I don't like this idea much.

Gimbals... are for stability, which is not what the OP is having trouble with. Modern POV cameras have built-in stabilization; 360 cameras have perfect stabilization, but they have other issues as noted.

A traditional camcorder would be my choice. If you look at the instructional videos posted here, they're all shot this way. For a reason.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Merci all, seems like an actual video camera is the received wisdom....which I haven't got. We're both fairly strong skiers looking to pick out specific things on and off piste so skiing close to each other or using a stick isn't necessarily a problem but a phone just isn't cutting it in terms of actual getting decent footage of what the skier is doing.

Oh well, given that I'm not gonna go out and buy a camcorder I think just try and get better at picking a spot and zooming with a phone/normal camera is the only way. It's not life or death, just something we idly discuss in the pub anyway.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy