Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shadow skier/ chaperone Les Arc 1950 - 5th April 2029 5/6 days

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, so we are booked to go skiing from 5th April for a week in Les arc 1950. My 9 year old son has been diagnosed with epilepsy, which is controlled well with medicine. However, the worried mum in me is worried about what would happen if he had a seizure whilst on the ski lift with ski school. I don’t want to take him out of ski school, because they love the experience and meeting friends. The ski school can’t help me. So I’m looking for a baby sitter/ chaperone / shadow skier to follow his class and sit next to him on the ski lifts.

He’s a good little skier (reds/blacks) and is 9 years old. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to fine someone to follow him for the week?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bunches, Great that you're not letting that stop skiing, although I can understand your concern. Are the lessons already booked? If so, how many and how long each day?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Couldn't the family take it in turns to follow/sit with him?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We haven't booked yet - but if we can find a solution they will be 2 hours each morning from Sun - Friday with Spirit 1950
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try the Les Arcs seasonaires Facebook page
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can the instructor not get on the lift with him each time? That’s what I would do.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ski school have said the instructor can not sit with him everytime as it is too much responsibility. we are so gutted. the change of a seizure is really low, but I do need an adult to be on the lift, just in case.

Any other solutions? I really do want my children to enjoy ski school and make friends
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for what Alasdair has said. The seasonaires in LA are a great bunch and I'm sure someone or a combination of them will definitely be able to help you out. The is a page dedicated to English speaking seasonaires, if that's what you'd require.
Might also be worth asking on the main Les Arcs thread on here. I really hope you get some help. If I were in resort at that point I'd do it myself
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bunches, I hope you get a solution, but the answer must surely be a family member? Would a seasonaire really want the responsibility should your son have a seizure if an instructor won't? What will the instructor do if he has a seizure on the piste? too much responsibility then as well?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HoneyBunny wrote:
Couldn't the family take it in turns to follow/sit with him?

This.....if the instructor won’t take responsibility how can a random stranger be expected to? What are they meant to do in the worst case scenario?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
duplicate

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 16-01-20 16:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m not looking for a random and I’m not expecting anyone to ‘take responsibility’. I just want, should anything happen there to be an adult next to him on the chair, so that no one panics. It’s very unlikely to happen as his epilepsy is controlled with medicine. I have not posted on the sessionaires group, because it is too wide open and anyone could respond. I was asking on here, if anyone knows of someone who would be suitable - as I am looking for someone who understands the situation, is capable and would be suitable to follow a ski school, they aren't going to just let anyone follow their class.

I am not able to follow his ski school - as I’m not technically able to ski black runs. So we have an issue there. I’m exploring options. if I don't find a solution then we will have to cancel our holiday. so a little less judgement please and if anyone knows of someone who is suitable, then do please let me know. Various people would be suitable for this.

Epilepsy is very common and not life threatening (unless unsupervised on a ski lift).

Thank you for your comments and please if anyone knows of teacher, guide or a nanny who would be suitable, please do get in touch

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 16-01-20 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know if this company could help? Worth an enquiry. https://www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bunches, seriously, I am not a panic person but if a child I had been asked to sit with were to have a seizure I would feel very responsible for what happens on the chair. What is the adult expected to do...just sit there and say out loud "don't worry" to the rest of the passengers, in a language they might not understand? Would they need to hold on to him? not touch him?

I can understand the dilemma, but you are asking a big ask but saying that you don't expect the person to take responsibility.

You edited your post while i was typing. I hope you don't think I am being judgemental - it's not my intention - but simply pointing out what it might feel like for the person on the chair.

you say " they aren't going to just let anyone follow their class". They can't stop people skiing near the class - it's an open piste

Kitenski makes a good call with disability snowsport uk

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 16-01-20 14:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
thank you - I have emailed them, but they look to be UK based, but they might have contacts in the alps
snow report
How about upgrading to a private instructor, but asking if they can stay with the group. This way he gets the social side, but has a full time companion.

This would solve the problem not just of chair lifts, but also what happens if he is 500m behind (and 100m vertical difference) the ski instructor whilst skiing and needs assistance.
snow report
I am only asking for options before I cancel the holiday. I am not asking for anyone who does not feel comfortable to follow his ski school. the ski school have no issue with him being in their class, they just can not commit to the ski instructor sitting next to him. The have said they will be happy for us to find a baby sitter to follow.

My sons neurologist has said we absolutely should not cancel the holiday and that we should go ahead as planned. BUT I as a mother am not happy with not worrying about it.

Epilepsy is very common, I am sure there are many skiiers who ski with it and I am sure there are many seizures on the slopes. its a very tough one.

Ultimately our option to cancel, I have to pay the final balance this month, so a decision must be made in the next week
ski holidays
@Bunches, just book a separate private instructor from the same school (may be even with adaptive skiing qualification) and ask them to follow the class
ski holidays
Thank you, that is a great suggestion and I have sent the email, praying they agree to that, thank you.
snow report
@snowdave, Thank you - I have everything crossed they will agree to this
ski holidays
@Bunches, Best wishes for a positive outcome.
ski holidays
So apparently the ski school cant do that either, it's not possible for the private ski instructor from the same ski school to follow or interact with the ski school. I have asked if my kids can go to the lunch club, but not holding out much hope for that either! I had head such good things about 1950's ski school
snow conditions
If you havent already, try New Gen https://www.skinewgen.com/ski-schools/les-arcs/ they run very small groups and may be more accomodating
snow report
Oleski wrote:
If you havent already, try New Gen https://www.skinewgen.com/ski-schools/les-arcs/ they run very small groups and may be more accomodating

Thank you very much I will try. I have much to my shame, I have just called Sprit 1950 and broken down in tears, because now they tell me after 3 weeks of emails, that the week is already fully booked for lessons and the only private lesson available it 12-2, which is not going to help my children make friends. The poor guy who answered the phone felt sorry for me and said he will ask again for a private lesson for the morning, then they can go to the lunch club.

all they want is to ski and make friends and my son doesn't want a fuss and be singled out and all I want is that they are safe. we have found a ski lift harness that he will wears under his jacket and clips it to the chair lift, so in the event of the absolute worst case happening and him having a seizure he will be secure and safe.
snow report
I can't believe this has been so difficult to resolve!
For a start, lower level instructors, as they train, are required to shadow fully qualified instructors as they teach.
Anyone with a level 1 qualification upwards has had to be CRB checked (afaik). They'll have done first aid and they'll be capable of skiing pisted terrain.
This seems like the perfect opportunity for someone to pick up a few shadowing hours and just be on hand to lend a hand as necessary.
Maybe post in the Bend Ze Knees forum as that's where budding instructors tend to hang out?

Are you needing someone local? I'm assuming you don't have spare space in your accom to bring someone along? Or do you?
snow report
@admin, that’s exactly the kind of solution I had hoped for. He’s incredibly unlikely to have a seizure, I just wanted an adult to sit next to him for safety’s sake. I’ve offered to pay and begged that they must have a trainee that could shadow. I’ve tried everything. The irony of the trip is that we only booked to go to Les Arc 1950, because I wanted the kids to go to that specific Spirit 1950 school. I pick the school then the resort. And they have been so so so unhelpful.

Sadly New Generation in 2000 is also full now, because I’ve wasted weeks trying to sort it out in 1950.

No room for any extra, as we’re on the sofa is it is! :0)
snow conditions
Try also Esprit Ski, they are British holiday operator rather than school, but for younger kids (not sure about 9+) they will always have someone shadowing the class to look after non-skiing needs. May be they can accomodate your son in one of their classes?

https://www.espritski.com/resorts/les-arcs-2000/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@admin, It might have been easier to setup somewhere that was running instructor courses, New Gen don't seem to have any in Les Arcs.
latest report
@rjs, indeed - I wondered about the accom as I thought I might send Dark Lord Cuddles* in to save the day and do a bit of shadowing.
(Although he'd probably assert that now he has a 'life' I can't just send him skiing all the time when it suits me Toofy Grin )

*my son
ski holidays
@Bunches, it might be worth trying Evolution 2, who have a school in 1950. We found them very helpful in completely different circumstances, their attitude was much more helpful than most schools.

Edit: just checked and they appear to have children's ski school availability that week

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-01-20 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
we booked before the diagnosis! we booked in July and he had his first seizure in August. so it wasn't in the planning when we orginally booked our holiday. New Generation have been amazing, but can't do any thing in LA as all booked up, but, they have managed to find a great instructor in Val D'Isere that would let them join the class and is totally happy to sit next my son on the lift, so he would get to go to Ski School. so frantically looking into if we can switch our PV accommodation. But ... we were going for 9 days (tunnels etc booked) from the 2nd April, so don't think we will be able switch as finding 9 days accom isn't that straight forward.

It's been flipping hard work, I know that!
snow report
@sj1608, sadly that is the school that I am currently trying to organise this with
snow conditions
Mmmm, I now see that the ski school on the Evolution 2 website is called Spirit 1950, but the name suggests it's actually a 3rd party rather than Evolution themselves. And it's definitely showing availability for lessons that week.......
snow conditions
I am not doing well... so now all private lessons for the mornings have been booked up for that week. The only place that has private lessons still available is ESI 1800 - would it be possible to ski down to 1800 in the mornings from 1950 - or do I need lifts to be open?
snow conditions
I am not doing well... so now all private lessons for the mornings have been booked up for that week. The only place that has private lessons still available is ESI 1800 - would it be possible to ski down to 1800 in the mornings from 1950 - or do I need lifts to be open?
snow conditions
@Bunches, sorry, can't help with your latest question.

If you are prepared to ditch PV and take the hit if they can't transfer you to Val, then post on the Solutions Room of chaletsdirect.com to see if anyone can help with accommodation.

An appeal to PV on social media might also be worth a go.......
snow report
@Bunches, May be just accept that this season you will simply ski all together without lessons, have a good time and next time prepare well in advance. Don't blame yourself, it sounds the diagnosis derailed your plans and you did all you could.

Btw, more often than not ski schools will have someone available for private lessons on the day. Just pop into the office and ask when you are there. I do it quite often and they always find someone, during busy school holidays period too.

About skiing down to 1800, it will involve taking a lift, don't think it's feasible to do in time for morning lessons

Don't let this put off, go and have a good time
snow report
@Bunches, how does the harness work? It's not something I've ever seen used.
ski holidays
https://liftlyne.com/about-lift-lyne/

We haven’t got it yet, but it looks like the right thing. I’ve also read a few blogs I’d skiers with epilepsy who all mention wearing a harness to make them feel far safer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy