Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Red Cats......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
..... Anyone been out with them? (near Rossland/Big Red) or any other offer in the Rossland/Nelson area?

Just wondering whether it'd be worth dipping a toe into the land of BC cat skiing if there's a bit of last minute availability next week. On the plane tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

On the plane tomorrow.

I'm not jealous, not at all!

Cat skiing for a day? Great fun, much better value than the heli skiing days I've done. Not been with the lot you mentioned though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh I'm pretty much off the deep end right now.......... It has snowed in Whitewater for 15 of the last 16 days.............
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg wrote:
Oh I'm pretty much off the deep end right now.......... It has snowed in Whitewater for 15 of the last 16 days.............

Good, don't use it all up, heading out there again next month. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not been with them but assume they'll be ok, bearing in mind Red has about the highest average punter skill level of any resort in the world. They are a resort based op though rather than having a unique tenure so expect the terrain to be pretty similar. Elsewhere Valhalla have a pretty good rep but @philwig has the most comprehensive view.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Be interested to hear how you get on, I'm with them in two weeks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mosha Marc, I've nothing booked with them, I'm just going to see if I can snag a last minute booking.If I'm successful I'll post up about it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have heard good things about them. Been with Valhalla it was amazing! Red have a lot of options
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Not quite sure what you mean by resort based? They have accomodation at the base of red mtn (red shutter lodge, plus I think a few other places - though red has a whole lot more now then when big red cats started I believe).
The place they run the cats is a shuttle bus ride from there.
I've been several times with them - was good (first time extra good due to epic pow!).
A lot depends on the group you're skiing with. Some a really good bunch, some not so much. I think if I was doing it again (and BRC is more expensive now than when I last went skiing with them), I'd want to book the whole cat and go with people I know how they ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stuarth, I think what Dave means, is they are part of the resort rather than a separate co. ?
The area they use is part of Red Mtn Ski, Where the Grey Mtn lift and Mt Kirkup is, is their old cat skiing area Smile They have now included this as lift served and moved the cat skiing further over.
Probably in time with resort expansion this too will be accessible via lift, and the cat op. will move again.

Have known folks use them without complaint, and have also skied in their old area - Grey Mtn & Mt Kirkup, via their resort cat, and that's a sweet place to ski for $10 a ride.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve got the resort cat ride on the radar, but not sure it’s running yet(?). It appears as ‘closed’ on the resorts list of open lifts so far. A mate who’s sister did a couple of seasons out there a few years back reckons it’d be a good area for a hike if it’s not open.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
... Not quite sure what you mean by resort based? ...
I've been several times with them - was good (first time extra good due to epic pow!).
A lot depends on the group you're skiing with. .... I'd want to book the whole cat and go with people I know how they ski.
It's a common industry term meaning that the operator is located close to a resort. Ownership is a different thing and isn't really important in practice.

Resort-based as opposed to lodge-based is the single most important factor influencing the type of people you can expect to ride with in a public cat or heli.
It also affects the ratio of safety training/ riding; the speed of the group; the sort of terrain you can expect to be taken to; and the style of guiding.
People at resorts tend to be less experienced than those found at remote lodges.

It is less important for cats than heli, because you're limited by the cat speed, and people can ride down in the machine if necessary.

As @DoM understands the concept, he's likely a good bet to ride with wink

---
If they're not running it's probably worth asking why.

I doubt you could sensibly hike (!) into decent cat terrain, but it's public land so you can try.
I've never seen anyone other than the odd sledder out there scaring the Caribou.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy