Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traveling to Moutiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are traveling from London to Moutiers by train Saturday 15th. February, arriving Gare du Nord transferring to Gare du Lyon to depart to Chambery, transferring at Chambery to Moutiers.
Our transfer time in Paris is 50 minutes and 12 minutes at Chambery
We are in our seventies and a bit concerned if we have adequate time for the transfers, any advice would be appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely check what’s going on with the French strikes for trains and Metro service. I understand the Metro has been very badly hit and many lines have not been running. But I’m not sure of details..so sorry if I’m raising other stress levels.

Others may be able to help you with what the best alternatives are for crossing Paris to the Gare du Lyon. See below what Eurostar has to say.

50 mins is a bit tight. The metro trains don’t run as frequently as the London Underground. I think you should make it if your train is on time, you buy your metro ticket in advance and you have worked out in advance how to navigate through the station to the Metro line platform you need- my own experience (only once) is that they far from as straightforward as London mainline stations. The same applies once you reach GDL.
If you can buy your metro tickets in advance on the Eurostar-do so. Here’s a handy link on the Eurostar page.

https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/travel-info/your-trip/your-onward-connection/connecting-in-paris
I also found this link..
https://www.seat61.com/Paris-metro.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GDN to GDL is only 10mins by metro.

Have a backup plan for Chambery, like Airbnb or hotel.

There is always another train right around the corner.

Given the ridiculous French strikes, better to fly or take a coach or rental car.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are reluctant to cross Paris consider going via Lille.
As an example on Saturday 15 February
Depart London St P at 06:57 arrive Lille Europe 09:26
Depart Lille Europe 11:01 arrive Lyon Part Dieu at 14:02 (TGV - might be double deck - the views from upstairs are good!)
Depart Lyon Part Dieu at 14:33 on a local train - arrive Moutiers (the fifth stop ) at 17:35.

To avoid confusion "Lille Europe Eurostar" is the same station as "Lille Europe"
If you have already booked and want to change from via Paris to via Lille you will need to speak to Rail Europe or someone.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice Unfortunately we are travelling from Cambridge and can not make an early train
We are booked on the 12.24 to Paris
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chambery shouldn't be a problem, if the trains are running to time. It is a relatively small station.

50 minutes for Paris could be tight. Eurostars are 400m long - it could take 5 minutes just to get to the head of the platform at Gare du Nord.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to you all for your help
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You might want to keep an eye on: https://worldinparis.com/transport-in-france-strike-news-tips-for-traveling-to-paris . There are strikes threatened in French ski resorts on 15 Feb: https://www.planetski.eu/2020/01/15/strike-threat-to-french-ski-resorts/ but, hopefully, these won't be transport related.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Your Paris transfer is very tight.

But top tips
You can buy metro tickets at the Eurostar buffet car. Costs a few cents more but means you can bypass the ticket machines.
Look at your seats on the Eurostar. Try to make sure you are as near as possible to the front of the train. Quick exit
The easiest route, if it is running, is RER D (green colour) for two stops.
If it isn’t (strikes) RER B (Blue) one stop and change platform to RER A (red) one stop.

Or think about a pre-booked taxi. More £ but could be an option.

That said we crossed Paris via RER B and A in around 30-40 mins going to Gare De Lyon. The way back on RER D took about 50 mins as the train got stuck.
People who got a taxi, got stuck in riots near the Gare Du Nord and had to walk about 20+ mins. A girl sitting with us get caught up badly.

So RER is easiest and quickest BUT v tight for time. Keep an eye on ParisByTrain website as all info Is there

Good luck
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy