Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4G signal strength in Tignes Val Claret, France?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Has anyone been in Tignes Val Claret, France lately? And do you remember the strength of the 4G signal? I'm asking because most apartments don't seem to have wifi, I've come to know the French Internet Ici system as very unreliable, and I need to be online in my apartment.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 21-02-20 11:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used 4G dongles in Val Claret for work in November and they were fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In val claret now (having a great time), 4g reception is good
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s France...the only thing that works is inconsistency and bureaucracy!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh and incorrect grammar...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and incorrect grammar...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, Meltus and oznc.

Goliard, true, but do you (also) mean with that that the 4G signal is weak in Val Claret? Or are you just referring to Internet Ici and/or the lack of own wifi in most apartments?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In general. 4G coverage is poor as is the distribution of fibre optic broadband.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Frank Conijn, I will give you a sensible answer.............

4G coverage in (all of) Tignes is entirely fine, in line with the UK.

When I am there, I never bother with wifi as the 4G delivers a consistently stronger signal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GreenDay, does this apply to all operators (Orange, SFR, Free, Bouygues)?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:
@GreenDay, does this apply to all operators (Orange, SFR, Free, Bouygues)?

Fair question, I am with EE over here, so I guess thats Orange and Bouyges.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used Vodafone all last season and for a month so far this year. Default connection is usually via SFR. @GreenDay, pretty much what I've found. Tether laptop and tablet to phone. Good enough to watch TV via iPlayer etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

TV via iPlayer

How do you get iPlayer in France? I thought it was banned.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, Sorry, just checked with the person that actually watches it. ITV Hub. Also possibly stuff through the Virgin Media app.

Haven't tried a VPN personally as I'm not interested in TV whilst away. The point was that the connection speed is good enough to do it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Being away for more than '2 months in any 4' I rarely have my data on (Thanks EE) but I know lots of people who have French 4G routers that they run TV on (including iplayer via a VPN). Standard broadband is way better than York.
snow conditions
Thanks much, all! I can now confidently book any apartment that I like and indeed will tether my laptop and tablet to my 4G phone.

Brake a leg! Smile
snow report
@Frank Conijn, Just for info. I bought a 4G router before I did the season last year. But I then got a Black Friday deal from Vodafone as my contract was up. New phone and 80 gb of data + Spotify so the router was surplus and remained in it's box. Vodafone don't "throttle" your data overseas. (well not yet anyway)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy