Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights and Bags - what can you get away with?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all, wondering if you more experienced people can help me. I am looking at the Easyjet flights to Geneva for the EOSB and I am trying to sift through the myriad of "extras" to make the flight as cost effective as possible.

I get stuck with my boots. I have boots, no skis. The extra for *boots & skis* is circa £75 (37.50 each way), you cant seem to split it out to one or the other. I feel a bit sick at paying that for just boots. SO, is it worth or can I just pay for a hold bag of upto 23kg (or 26kg) and then split that between a main bag and my boot bag? or do I have to pay for both bags separately.

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if it's a pointless question, but it does make a significant difference to the price of the flight.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Math1984, put them in a small wheely bag and take them as hand luggage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gämsbock wrote:
@Math1984, put them in a small wheely bag and take them as hand luggage.

this, especially as easyjet don't kg limit hand luggage. with boots in a hold bag, its quite easy to then start going over hold bag weight limits
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Either in your hold bag or carry-on. They won't let you split you one hold bag you've paid for as 2 lighter bags (even though you can split booked ski bag as separate skis and boots).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As said, just stick them in your suitcase stuffed with your ski socks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, hold luggage stuffed with as many pairs of socks as you can fit in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boots in hand luggage, should fit in a wheely quite nicely.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said, Tetris them in with your hand luggage (can stuff with socks etc too) in a wheelie suitcase. Or if you like being sans luggage in the airport just pack them in your hold luggage. Don't think any airlines will let you split bags in the way you suggest (other than if you've specifically paid for skis and boots)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On someone’s suggestion on A earlier thread I bought one of these which fits the easyjet & BA hand luggage dimension allowance exactly

https://www.antler.co.uk/marcus-siro-cabin-suitcase-56x45x25cm-black

I can easily fit in boots, salopettes googles, gloves etc. in fact all I need to ski. Just waiting on foldable skis to come out or to buy blades.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of course, come 1st Feb, this won't be a problem as you'll be putting them in the hold while you join the rest of the world queue to get through passport control instead of the speedy EU one - sorry couldn't resist, especially after seeing the length of queue in Norway at Xmas, we got through in 15 mins with kids in a special EU channel - normally its just 4-5 minutes with biometrics, but the RoTW line was painfully slow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always in hand luggage. Used to use a boot bag but now just use my normal carry on wheely bag.

The only time I put my boots in hold luggage was when they were over the weight limit for carry on (can't remember the airline). I've never had a carry on weighed, but didn't want to take the chance as the airline were apparently quite hot on carry on weight.

I stuff mine with socks, snoods, wolly hats, etc. Or if you have something fragile, ski boots offer good protection!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dunc999 wrote:
Boots in hand luggage, should fit in a wheely quite nicely.

This^. We were just forced to buy a cheap (£25) wheelie bag, 55x35x20 cos the b***ers at Flybe (and others) have cut to '20' from 25 cms.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerolite-55x35x20cm-Lightweight-Suitcase-Approved/dp/B01LYKFVJR/ref=asc_df_B01LYKFVJR/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310495259497&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13389322359939928270&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045385&hvtargid=pla-421334135443&psc=1

We had it a little cheaper...

Boots still fit comfortably with plenty of room for at least a full ski outfit. The other pair go in the case.

Because Flybe use Embraers a lot from CWL, and they have woeful overhead lockers, they are often grateful for my 'volunteering' to put my cabin bag in the hold- free.

CG

PS I'd be more than happy to see airlines hammer people with oversize bags with a huge charge. Bit of consistency needed. Problem is, very many people go straight to security cos they checked in online, so the bluff becomes, "Are you really going to hold up the flight while you process my wheelie bin?" Outcome: labelled up for hold at the gate, no charge.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 16-01-20 12:03; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Math1984, I pack my boots in my handluggage case together with enough kit so I can ski the first day if there is a problem with my hold luggage. Case fits into the EJ gauge so no problems there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get a wheelie-bin and label it as if it was luggage. Literally, a wheelie-bin. This is what some easyJet passengers seem to do, without objections from the staff. I never cease to wonder why it is that some easyJet passengers are forced to hand-over their only-slightly-larger-than-allowed case at the gate, while others seem to get away with a coffin-sized carry-on. Then insist on crushing everyone else's sensible overhead items in a desperate attempt to avoid it going to the back of the 'plane. Sorry, not very helpful ....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ster wrote:
On someone’s suggestion on A earlier thread I bought one of these which fits the easyjet & BA hand luggage dimension allowance exactly

I can easily fit in boots, salopettes googles, gloves etc. in fact all I need to ski. Just waiting on foldable skis to come out or to buy blades.

They are about....
http://www.splitskis.eu/
snow conditions
SBP wrote:
ster wrote:

They are about....

I look forward to them hitting the market. The suggested ease of parachuting with them makes them sound quite exciting!
latest report
ster wrote:
SBP wrote:
ster wrote:

They are about....

I look forward to them hitting the market. The suggested ease of parachuting with them makes them sound quite exciting!

This lot are already on the market and seem to have a more substantial locking mechanism

https://elanskis.com/us_en/elan-ibex-tactix-folding-ski

http://youtube.com/v/OQ-LybZxQ24&vl=sv
snow report
If you sre paying for a hold bag up to 23kg just put everything in the hold bag and do without the hassle of a carry on, if your hold bag is more than 20kg with boots & all thats needed for a weeks skiing, you are taking too much!
However,
As it is the EOSB & self catering, it is worth taking as much food as you can, even pasta is silly money in resort. Also, if like me, the airline losing your custom fit boots would ruin the entire week, it is worth the security of having your boots as hand luggage & fill the hold case with food.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
If you sre paying for a hold bag up to 23kg just put everything in the hold bag and do without the hassle of a carry on, if your hold bag is more than 20kg with boots & all thats needed for a weeks skiing, you are taking too much!

A an ex-RAF Air Loadmaster, I must introduce the terms, weight-out and bulk-out into the mix. I've explained them (though they seem self-explanatory) to my wife every holiday for 39.5 years to no avail. Ski bags are very likely to be full before ever reaching 23kg. Sad but true. Very Happy
snow report
Rent Equipment at resort

Hand Luggage Only in Plane.
ski holidays
@Math1984, Fly BA, and forget about the "budget" airlines.

You get for Euro traveller a total of 2 bags each per person, which can weigh 23kgs each. One goes in the hold, one as cabin, just follow the size guidelines.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
@Math1984, Fly BA, and forget about the "budget" airlines.

You get for Euro traveller a total of 2 bags each per person, which can weigh 23kgs each. One goes in the hold, one as cabin, just follow the size guidelines.

Might be worth a highlight of the recent BA experience of @sean1967?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150512#3512714

When BA goes wrong, it goes proper wrong... (and he was in Club europe...)
snow report
Any true skier never checks their boots. Just sayin'! wink
latest report
You can put 15Kg in your jacket: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4224170/The-Airport-Jacket-means-wear-luggage.html
latest report
Wear them as your footwhere!!!

I always put them in my main luggage stuffed with socks as others have suggested. I tend to travel with a traditional kitbag style main luge so the bag doesn't weigh much itself and had shoulder straps so i can put it on like a backpack.
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
We were just forced to buy a cheap (£25) wheelie bag, 55x35x20 cos the b***ers at Flybe (and others) have cut to '20' from 25 cms.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerolite-55x35x20cm-Lightweight-Suitcase-Approved/dp/B01LYKFVJR/ref=asc_df_B01LYKFVJR/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310495259497&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13389322359939928270&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045385&hvtargid=pla-421334135443&psc=1

We had it a little cheaper...

Boots still fit comfortably with plenty of room for at least a full ski outfit. The other pair go in the case.

Because Flybe use Embraers a lot from CWL, and they have woeful overhead lockers, they are often grateful for my 'volunteering' to put my cabin bag in the hold- free.

E175s went at the end of October when they closed the base. Only Dash8-Q400 now.

FlyBe changed the allowance in 2016 but we wee wee-poor at enforcing it. That led to massive inconsistency across their network and piles of complaints. They now enforce the size regs firmly. I've been commuting EDI-CWL-EDI since July and at both ends they check bags. Lots of people who fail to read the numerous warnings (during booking, pre-check-in and at online check-in) and kick-off at being charged £35. It was £50 but they reduced it around 6 months ago.

Charliegolf wrote:
"Are you really going to hold up the flight while you process my wheelie bin?" Outcome: labelled up for hold at the gate, no charge.

To get round that they get passengers to the gate early and have staff 'walk the line'. If anyone slips that then they get them at the BP check. They are normally very clear, either pay-up or be denied boarding.

I'm very happy that they enforce the rules consistently. I was sick of being held up while people tried to stuff oversized bags that were never going to fit in the lockers.
snow report
ster wrote:

Spinners are literally 'a waste of space.' Those long wheels mean the loss of quite a bit of luggage space compared to a traditional 2-wheeled wheelie bag.
ski holidays
@Math1984, I normally fly BA for this reason.

Since you are on EZY then youay not know that booking an up front seat gets an extra bag. Normally a laptop bag or small rucksack.

Books in the carry-on with some gear and some other clothes in the extra bag.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are flying easyJet in a few weeks and I've pretty much got maximising luggage sussed

1. Despite what some people mighty say there is nothing to stop you taking boots through Security at the airport. They are not on any list of prohibited items. Many people, including me, have taken boots in hand baggage both in the UK and abroad.

2. Individual airlines do not scan your hand luggage contents. They are mostly interested in whether they meet the maximum dimensions. They only ever weigh it at the check-in counters, not the gate.

3. easyJet only permit one cabin bag measuring a maximum of 56x45x25cm, including handles and wheels. There is no weight limit. The exception to this is Flexi, Upfront, Extra Legroom customers and easyJet Plus cardholders can can bring an additional bag like a laptop bag or handbag. Maximum size 45x36x20cm. The second bag must be placed under the seat in front of you. The Rossignol Hero Dual Boot Bag - https://www.rossignol.com/.../rossignol-hero-dual-boot... - is a laptop style boot bag that is marginally larger than the second bag allowance. However, as it is soft it is likely to fit in the sizer. As a regular on easyJet I seldom see gate staff measuring second bags as the focus is mostly on trolley bags.

5. When you pay for ski carriage with easyJet you can take a ski bag and a boot bag totalling 20kg. The charge is £74 return. You are permitted to pool this with a cabin bag (standard 23kg) so you can spread 43kg over 3 bags.

In a few weeks time I'll be flying easyJet to Milan. My son is racing and will have 4 pairs of skis. I'll be taking one pair. I want to avoid paying 2 X £76 so will only take one skibag. All bindings will be removed (GS and SG skis use same bindings so only one pair for both of those) to minimise weight.

As we are easyJet Plus members we'll be maximising our cabin bags. Our boots will be in the Rossignol bags mentioned above and I'll have a trolley bag with bindings and any other heavy items. My son will have his Racer bag in addition to the Rossignol bag. Still trying to work out who we'll manage to take 3 helmets (my son has SL and GS) as they take a load of room.

I'm hoping that we'll get away with only one hold bag in addition to the ski bag.

Maximising hand baggage is key to keeping costs down.
ski holidays
@Gaza. I thought about removing the bindings as they just slide on and off. I have 3 sets of skis to lug out and only ever book 2 ski carriage but 3 skis in a bag is a bit awkward so removing the bindings is an option. I am unsure though whether there are any pitfuls I should look out for. Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy