Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Contingency plan #104 - Lost Passport

Poster: A snowHead
Following a brief "moment of madness" chez Hopkinson. I've put myself to wondering what the contingency plan for replacing a passport misplaced on a Thursday evening for travel on the saturday of an Easter weekend is... any snowHeads have experience of this?

Don't worry folks - everyone has their passports here, and the cats have their vaccination cards.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you have any connections at the embassy, maybe stay home, go to church with the family and celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. Relax....you can have a new one issued in a fortnight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ian Hopkinson,

No idea, but I have scanned my passport into a PDF and left it on my e-mail server so that if I loose it when travelling I have evidence that I am who I say I am and can show I had a passport
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That should work and get you across the border.......not! It will probably get you arrested though for copying a federal document illegally.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Hopkinson, One of the joys of being a European Very Happy is that you don't need a Passport to travel within Europe as it is currently defined. All our European Cousins will welcome you with open arms and take you to their bosoms upon production of qualifying Photo Identification Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jacques,

Just as well the UK is not a federal country. Its for use in an emergency if lost when travelling oversea's.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC, you reckon a photocard driving license will work? Would it got one out of the country though?

Jacques, I don't think dbiggins is claiming he will use it in place of his passport - rather as an emergency measure should his passport go astray whilst he is abroad.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Hopkinson, Go on! Leave your passport at home on Saturday and try it! Get an extra advance of adrenalin before skiing - but probably best to bring your own latex gloves... (Just in case!) Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And hail to the EU for that. Now hand over all your Stirling and let me convert it to Euros for you. I suspect Ian will be traveling outside Europe if he needs his passport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian Hopkinson, ring up the Passport Service. They are very, very much improved since the meltdown a few years ago, and I think you can get one within hours if you turn up at one of the seven(?) centres. (London, Newport, Peterborough, Liverpool, Durham, Glasgow, Belfast from memory, but best check!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try going to Afghanistan without a passport or maybe a better example would be America.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, even on bank holidays?

Jacques, actually I am travelling in Europe... hold on - I'm flying to Geneva... Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So what are you worried about? I think the drinking age is 16 in Switzerland...for a pint anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Living in Peterborough I can confirm that the queues at the office in town are not as manic as a few years ago, however from their website:-

Easter 2006 opening times for all offices:
Good Friday 14th April 2006 Closed
Saturday 15th April 2006
Open as normal
Easter Monday 17th April 2006 Closed
Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ian Hopkinson, Steady, Steady don't be awkward!!! - is your destination airport the French or International Geneva?! - But your destination does beg the question of whether recriprocal European rights apply in the International Swiss side. Two years ago a Scottish (A very proud highlander) friend of mine actually got out of Geneva without even photo ID, having mislaid his Passport (Which eventually turned up in one of the many pockets on rucksack he was carrying!) He convinced the authorities in Geneva and Glasgow that he was Scottish - a rare feat in Geneva! The Glasweigans knew straight away he was one of theirs!
snow report
See Ian, finally someone comes through with some useful information afterall. What would you do without us?
snow conditions
Ian , Put the theory to the test. Shred your passport and see what happens with these options, after all, what have you got to lose?
ski holidays
[quote]The Glasweigans knew straight away he was one of theirs!

Ach-aye!
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
Ian Hopkinson, ring up the Passport Service. They are very, very much improved since the meltdown a few years ago, and I think you can get one within hours if you turn up at one of the seven(?) centres. (London, Newport, Peterborough, Liverpool, Durham, Glasgow, Belfast from memory, but best check!)
Yes that works. I got a British passport for my daughter at Bristol or Cardiff, can't remember which now, in two hours' flat on the strength of a few forms filled in by me and a faxed letter of consent from her mum in France ... we were flying out the same afternoon.
snow report
Well - there's another contingency handled wink This means I don't need to lie awake worrying about it...I'll have to think of something else...

I've never been clear whether I was in the French or the Swiss side of Geneva airport, they always seemed to want to be paid in Swiss francs in the past so I assumed I was in the Swiss part.
ski holidays
a friend got to the airport last Summer, only to discover her passport had expired. They phoned the Greek authorities, who agreed to let her travel, and she was welcomed home again without a problem. it doesn't work for USA though.
snow conditions
It's gone very quiet on here all of a sudden, do I hear the scamper of (not so) tiny feet hurrying off to check their passports.
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, If this is Contingency plan #104 Have you laminated the list of the other 103 plan's Laughing
snow report
We have managed to be refused boarding for a passport problem, renew it and catch a flight all on the same day ( in the space of 6 hours)! That has to be a record! snowHead
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
a friend got to the airport last Summer, only to discover her passport had expired...

Three people who I "know of" went cycling in France last summer, with one realising the day before travel that his passport had expired. They decided to chance it and travel. No problem getting into France on the ferry as the passports weren't checked. At this point the other two were constantly teasing the third about his careless oversight. So after their holiday they cross back - still no passport check in France but finally have to face the music in Portsmouth. As they were about to show their passports to UK immigration, one of them (not the one with the expired passport) opens his passport and is amazed to see that he's actually carrying his son's passport Shocked

Anyway, the traveller with the expired passport was allowed to proceed after giving name and address etc. whilst the traveller with someone else's passport was ushered through without anyone noticing!

The UK can sleep easily at night, knowing our shores are guarded so robustly. rolling eyes
snow report
I went skiing a few years back and it was only at the euro tunnel that I realised that my passport would run out while in France, I thought sod it lets get the skiing in and worry about getting back later, I could always claim political asylum- my country of birth would not let me back in. Laughing
But it was not noticed on the way out or on the way back.

Of course I am not recommending this as an answer to international travel
Razz
latest report
I have an Anglo-indian friend whose passport ran out, he just borrowed another anglo-indian friends passport, as it had happened before and they had never had any problem doing it, because, they presumed, the immigration service thought that they all looked alike.
ski holidays
Kramer, and....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If your flying you may not be able to leave the country. On my last flight my passport was checked 20 yards from the checkin desk, at the checkin desk, at the over sized luggage desk, at passport control and finally at the departure gate. It was only checked once on entering Canada and twice on leaving Canada once at the checkin and once at passport control So 5 times to get on a plane leaving the country and twice to get back in.
ski holidays
Have two. One for visiting Israel and one for everywhere else. Saves a lot of hassle. And you might not forget both of them at the same time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
laundryman, Don't bet on it.... You will wait for hours to get seen and you will have to wait around all day to get one at Victoria, if at all

I have got back into the country having lost one abroad...that was pretty straight forward. The hardest thing was getting on board the ship on acount that they can't carry you without documents. Got back into the UK after a quick...and I mean quick, chat woth Immigration

So taking that you will get out ok...via the French at Dover...and you can get back in if the Immigration at Calais think you are legitimate
ski holidays
Hywel,

Its standard practise for the ferry company to want to see your passport at check-in
latest report
I drove to Bourg St Maurice last year using my 12 year old sons passport - I handed over for inspection several times without looking at it myself - Obviously the Ferry Company didn't look to carefully either
latest report
boredsurfin, no, the contingency plans reside in my head and are constantly reviewed to prevent their dissappearance Shocked

It certainly feels like my passport gets regular checking when I'm at the airport, I know when I've travelled Eurostar (some years ago now) things were much more relaxed.
snow report
Passports.............good idea...............I'm off to check !
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, Le Shuttle not relaxed now, we were held back last week because the queues were to long at passport control. Each passport visually checked and passed under a UV lamp.
ski holidays
A few moons ago we took a trip over from Dover to Boulogne on the ferry, in the days when immigration was strictly administered and a passport of some kind was compulsory, even for France. There were three of us, heading for a party, all clad in gorilla suits, and nothing else. After rampaging through Boulogne for the day and attending the best party ever, come the morning we noticed one of our number was missing. Apparently one very unsteady primate had wandered out in the middle of the night and not been spotted since.

Asked at French customs, no sign. No gorillas had passed through that morning. Back in the UK, same answer from immigration.

He eventually turned up later that day. The previous night, legless, he had wandered out for a walk and got completely lost, forgetting where the party was. In a bar he had his wallet and passport nicked. Eventually passed out in a phone box.

Not speaking a word of French apart from 'La plume de ma tante est dans le jardin', he somehow got through French customs and onto a ferry with neither ticket, ID or money. Back on the UK side he talked his way through, although he had to put up with comments like 'that'll teach you to monkey around', and this isn't Aperil Fool's Day you know'...

So IH, on your contingency list, just make sure you include a note to pack your gorilla suit Wink.
latest report
PG, my limited French " in the garden" but dont know the rest.
ski holidays
Paul Mason, my tailor is rich.
latest report
Confused of Birtley Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy