Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slovenia

Poster: A snowHead
I am hopefully having a short trip to Slovenia around 9th - 18th Feb. (only a couple of days in that time Sad ) and was wondering if there were any regular visitors or locals on here that could offer any tips. Intended destinations were Kranjska Gora and Bohinj (Vogel ski area) as I visited them many years ago, summer and winter, and just thought it would be cool to see what they are like now. I will have a car so can travel around easy enough, and also use accomodation away from the resorts if February mania infects Slovenia too Smile
The one thing I have found out is that, as far as lift passes are concerned I will be a youth again. At least that's my optimistic way of looking at the fact that over 60's get the same deal as 15-24's Laughing about 15% off.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assume you'll be getting the Julian Alps pass which covers a whole load of resorts in 3 countries? http://sloalps.com/

Car will be very useful too, especially for Krvavec which doesn't have any accommodation in resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no information to offer but will be very interested in hearing about your visit - I've fancied a visit to Slovenia for a while, probably in summer. A niece of mine was there last summer (on a yoga retreat) and raved about it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mikeycharlton, That's very interesting thanks, had not seen that but probably not as likely to only have a couple of days and Vogel (Bohinj) is not on that list ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, I went there for 3 years on the run skiing in the late 80's, first ever ski trip on Thompsons Learn to Ski, and once in the summer. The Lake Bohinj area I thought was stunning, summer and winter. Lake Bled very pretty too but a bit too touristy for me. I think Slovenia broke away in 1991(?) and it was talked about a great deal by the locals when we were there. The currency was broke then and you changed money every 2 days to keep up with it. I have a Dinar note somewhere with 50,000 or maybe even 500,000 on it, I cannot remember.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skitow, sorry, just realised you'll only be there for a couple of days.

Strange. Not sure why Vogel isn't included.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mikeycharlton, No problem, yes does seem strange. Will still have a look at it though, might stay a bit longer Very Happy Still a bit worried about whether there is a crazy half term thing there though, any idea ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skitow wrote:
@mikeycharlton, No problem, yes does seem strange. Will still have a look at it though, might stay a bit longer Very Happy Still a bit worried about whether there is a crazy half term thing there though, any idea ?

Looks like they have a split half term for the last 2 weeks of Feb. https://publicholidays.eu/slovenia/school-holidays/

Suspect weekends are rammed and weekdays are quiet (outside of school holidays)

I've also just noticed that you can get a free lift pass (unlimited days usage) from 9th of March onwards when staying in participating hotels. Apparently most of these hotels are actually in Bled, which is an hours drive away, although there is a daily free bus service up until the 20th March from Bled to 4 different resorts - one of which is Vogel Smile. The bus is free providing you have a lift pass (which is also free after the 9th of March).

Still, a trip to lake Bled with some free skiing thrown in sounds quite appealing.

Obviously if you have your own car you won't have to rely on the bus which finishes on the 20th March.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skitow wrote:
having a short trip to Slovenia

Did you consider Bovec Kanin?

http://youtube.com/v/rK79MUaVK7U
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiny ski hills with low snowfall.

Cr*p for skiing.

But very pretty for a long weekend.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The snow this year in Slovenia has been poor in many resorts. Vogel only has 20cm of snow and 3 of 9 lifts open. They've actually reduced their daily lift pass cost to €20 to somewhat compensate for the limited number of active lifts.

http://www.vogel.si/winter

It's a bit the other side of the country (small country though), but I've enjoyed a few days out at Rogla. Resort buildings and parking are all at the top of the hill. They currently have 30cm of snow and 10 of 13 lifts open.

https://www.bergfex.com/rogla/schneebericht/

It hasn't been a great snow year for Slovenia so far.

If for some reason you're unhappy with the skiing at Kranjska Gora, it's less than an hour's drive to Gerlitzen in Carinthia, where they have a good amount of snow and all lifts open.

https://www.bergfex.com/gerlitzen-alpe/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@phillc, Thanks for that info. I am not going until week after next, around 10th. Feb so maybe it will change by then and I can always do some walking in Bohinj valley etc. Thanks for the tip about Gerlitzen too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kanin has been on my hitlist to check out for years but its norm a bit tricky to get to in winter as the Vrisic pass gets closed so you need to go the long way round Tolmin. As there is very little snow this year it could be an opportunity to try out Kanin? It's pretty high up. Tiny resort but the off piste on the italian side looks good (although the rabbit holes sound a bit scary) I looked at Kranjska Gora webcam yesterday and it wasnt looking as white as it should be.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ski Yeti, Check before you go to Kanin! On the Slovenian side everything is closed at the moment (Jan 29th, and was yesterday too), due to avalanche risk.

https://www.kanin.si/en/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I worked with a Slovenian lady for a while. She had hubby and children back in Slovenia, and went back for weekends from time to time. They used to go skiing every year, but never in Slovenia. Always Austria or Italy. She said the reason was often lack of snow.
snow report
@phillc thx but not going to Kanin just yet. I would not like to get involved with an avallanche there I have never been anywhere that feels so high up!
snow conditions
If you get the area pass how easy is it to get to.the other resort for a family of 4.
Would we need to hire a car etc? Happy to do this but if I am honest I am praying for Karjanksa Gora to get some snow....
latest report
@bluedusty, As far as I know not super easy without a car. Kranjska Gora to Vogel is a couple of hours and at least two buses. I think there's a direct bus to Bovec (Kanin), but only twice a day. I must admit I've always had a car, so I've not looked very hard for alternative options.
latest report
Thanks Phillc, let's hope we get lucky with the weather.
To be honest I did book knowing that the snow may be hit and miss, sure we can find something to keep us entertained.
Depending how this year goes maybe I need to find another value/cheap resort (School Hols Time) that has better guarantee of snow.
Still really looking forward to our week away.
snow report
Snow forecast shows decent snow for most mountain areas in Slovenia next Tuesday, Feb 4th!
ski holidays
@bluedusty re skiing lots of resorts with the area pass - Can you base yourself in Bled? It's prob best most central point to travel from to visit most of the resorts easily and will have the most bus links. Its not a ski resort itself though. I have done a bus from there to Vogel it's about 30 mins I think but you could also get a bus to Kranjska Gora. If you had a car theres Kravavec and Cerkno as options too. Slovenia is such a tiny country nothing is ever that far. Resorts are tiny too though. Bovec is quite a bit harder to get to in winter though.
snow report
Pete Gillespie from Alpine Coaching regularly runs trips to the Balkans including Slovenia, and even if the dates of his trips don't line up for you this season it may be useful to others looking for something similar: http://alpinecoaching.co.uk/courses-1#courses
ski holidays
Hi - any updates on the Slovenia situation?
A couple of resorts seem to have closed for the season but I'm thinking of heading to Vogel in a couple of weeks...
snow report
It's not very good to be honest. Obviously depends on what you want. Kranjska Gora is still operating on strips of artificial snow basically, upside is there are, generally very few lift queues, night skiing until 10pm is great for practising technique / staving off alcoholism etc. Did not manage to ski Kanin / Bovec because it was windy earlier in the week and I believe Vogel is still operating, but with reduced lifts / runs. Their day passes are at reduced prices so I guess that tells a story.
It is a real shame as it is a real fun area with the right conditions, a good few of the hotels in Kranjska Gora are truly ski in -ski out with the lifts barely metres away. Slope side food and drink is 3euros /pint, 6.5 for a burger / hotdog + chips etc. Will post some pictures etc. later on.
latest report
@Neil Neige, personally I would skip Vogel this time. We are still waiting for snow here, so anything but resorts with man made snow (Vogel is not one of them) are not really good option. Kanin is exception, but Kanin is not resort for more then half day skiing, and its operation relies way too much on good weather. Slight wind anywhere else, means there are hurricane winds up on Kanin, so you need to be pretty lucky to get 6 days of skiing in week of holidays there. Not to mention it's quite off normal routes so not easiest to reach.
So personally, I would pick Krvavec, even though you need to stay few km away, as Krvavec has almost no accommodation capabilities, but there's whole bunch of options few km out of it (including our apartment https://is.gd/Ln1WPw Smile )
snow report
i have skied there a fair bit in the past, and was there last half term, which was great, not too crowded at all and the snow was decent as they had a decent dump before we arrived.

You do need a car as resorts are small, so need to ski a few in the week to get some variety. Bled is a good base. easy reach from there is Vogel, which is high, but not allowed snow cannons. when there is loads of snow it has a super run from top of mountain to base of cable car a circa 1300m vertical; Krvavec is biggest resort and has good snow making and a good range of runs, but suffers from weekend crowds as close to Ljub; Kranska Gora also has plenty snow making but is low, has a cracking world cup black run; plus there is Soriska and Stari Vrh, both really small resorts but midweek even in half term you get the impression you're skiing on your own after lunch.

Sadly this year its had very little snow, so i wouldn't bother
snow report
Thanks for the updates.
I would just be heading through Slovenia as part of a longer trip from Italy to Austria, so only staying for a night or two (in a place called Bohinji, I think). There's a hotel and an aquapark by the station so guess it might be still a fun and easy place to stop off at, even if skiing not great.
Also, with two weeks to go, presumably a big dump of new snow (like Scotland has just had, transforming its slopes from zero-skiing to full-mountain vertical) is not beyond the realms of possibility?
ski holidays
@ t4tomo Love that Vogel run right from the top its one of my favs anywhere.
Neil you may still get some snow you could keep checking on Snezni Telefon: http://snezni-telefon.si/Vogel
If you are in Bohinj you are very close and can get the ski bus to Ukanc where cable starts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neil Neige wrote:
Thanks for the updates.
I would just be heading through Slovenia as part of a longer trip from Italy to Austria, so only staying for a night or two (in a place called Bohinji, I think). There's a hotel and an aquapark by the station so guess it might be still a fun and easy place to stop off at, even if skiing not great.
Also, with two weeks to go, presumably a big dump of new snow (like Scotland has just had, transforming its slopes from zero-skiing to full-mountain vertical) is not beyond the realms of possibility?

In Bohinj you are on route to the Vogel cable car at Ukanc, but do check ahead, it needs natural snow as in a national park so snow cannons are banned, as unless they open up most of the lift / slopes, it will be very limited, you really need the runs down into Zadnji Vogel to be open. Another lesser know option from there is Soriska Planina, a short drive up the hill the other way out of Bohinj. If most of that is open, there are some super runs down thru the trees and although small, its entertaining enough for a day or two and has snow cannons to keep slopes topped up. It wouldnt cost much in a taxi to get there if you are without car.
ski holidays
Neil Neige wrote:

I don't really trust long term weather forecasts much, but at least till end of next week, there's nothing much predicted (I hope they are wrong), and with absolutely zero base down to valley, snow dump should be quite significant to have Vogel open in full extent. So honestly, no matter how much I hope for some big dump, I wouldn't really count on it in next 2 weeks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy