Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

base edge/grind issue

Poster: A snowHead
My current board has about 7 or 8 weeks of use and last year I could feel the inside edge of of the rails where the base had worn, I dropped it into a service shop for a base grind but the tech highlighted an issue saying the grind would probably not fix the edge issue.

This is a ~cross section of the base which is convex from side to side, new representation on top and exaggeration of what it looks like now below.

He said if he set the grind deep enough to reach the rails it could easily go right through the base in the middle of the board.

Has anyone seen this and been able to get a grind to get rid of that inside edge. The edge is stating to get "catchy" on icy hard pack.

Pretty pissed off about this as I haven't seen this wear pattern on any of my previous boards used only on snow, only one ones used on dry slope.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-01-20 17:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was that a TBT base or similar?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a lib tech trs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your saying the base is or was convex from new ?

Either way whatever the issue actually is you need a reputable pro with a service centre to do analysis and check out the reality .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't say for sure but expect it was like this from new. Heading to Saalbach on Saturday and don't trust anyone locally to fix it before then, I plan to make up a jig tomorrow to file down the base side edges so they are at least flush with the base. I will then see how that feels next week and take it from there, however I have never liked the base on this board, it was promoted as some kind of high tech low friction material but I think its simply cheap extruded, and has always been a lot slower them my old Burton.

Time to start thinking about my next board, may go back to a Custom camber after this expedition into rocker hybrid.

Anyway, pics tomorrow of before, during and after.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you had it ground before? I know of Bataleon boards with the Triple Base Tech (TBT) can suffer with this sort of thing if they've been over ground or scraped. Is it all down the length of the board or just in patches?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's most of the length of the effective edge, only ground once last year after I spotted the issue and that did nothing to the edges, just stripped some base down the centre line of the board.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suppose you could try treating it like a big base repair and try to pack it with ptex layers, glue, clamp and repeat - but suspect it wouldn't hold for long. Think the phrase 'beyond economic repair' might hang over this one.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The pics above are an exaggeration, the step is a fraction of a mm so filing is worth try first. But have already started browsing for the next board.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of my boards had a similar issue. I hand flattened the base carefully using a tru bar, then filed down and reset the edge angles, came up fine. I was expecting to see some core material appear, but all good. Made the board a lot quicker. Got the tech in the local shop to have a look (who wasn't keen to try himself) and he was impressed with how flat i got it. Took ages to do though, and I'm guessing any more grinds are going to be a problem.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My service technician said: Lib tech, Capita are very poorly made, they cut corners, doesn't let boards dry before they base grind it, all of them have convex like this, or the opposite, or even some "pits" in base. Saving time, shipping boards out of factory still "wet" inside. You won't do anything good for it, ride it like it is, and next time buy something made by technicians, not marketing department.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Always a good idea to take a tru bar board shopping

If you think it’s a write off you might as well have a go at sorting it, worst that can happen is it gets worse !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lib tech even on 500+ eur boards uses TNT base, which is just fancy name for cheap extruded base. Some models are solid, some has sintered base, but in general - lib tech is overly marketed expensive ugly boards. Never summer at least looks prettier, but also is marketing driven thing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here is the base with a straight edge held against one side, you can see how bad the camber is side to side.

I taped up one side of a file to hold it off the base then spent an hour or so filing till all the raised edges were flat with the base.

It was then virtually impossible to catch the inside of the rail edge with a nail.

Next I went over the base side of the rails with an oil stone to get rid of the worst of the filing marks.

Pretty pleased with the results.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That looks severe
Any idea how this came about ?

Was the base ptex pulling away from the base edge ie where it was undercut ....before your filing/stone work.
If not what caused the undercut ptex right next to the edge ?

You would think with that level of severity ie convex base the board could never have passed quality control .
So I assume this has happened after the purchase .
Was it used on dendex
Then again ..... LibTech guys could be smoking the Bio Beans.

I like how you just got on with it and sorted it out as best you could with three items, file ,tape and a wet stone .
latest report
My guess is that it came like this from the factory, I just checked the top sheet and it is concave. The Ptex join with the edge was perfectly intact, the wear was just caused by normal use (7 weeks on European snow), it can only be explained by poor quality ptex. It's never been on dendex which does cause this issue, my kids used to spend a lot of time at Hill End and all their boards were trashed up there.
ski holidays
this kind of concave is of another nature than not fully cured resin before final finishing/packing/sending boards out. What my technician showed me with Lib Tech/Capita boards and his personal Elan skis was either "pits/craters" in random spots or even concaved, but on an opposite direction, base perpendicular to edges. Resin dires out, takes less space and shrinks leaving those craters/pits or even whole base concave.
ski holidays
Last pic .....

You need to get a much finer file on that ..... then finish with a diamond plate.

The edge metal is generally torn, with the edge corner showing torn and folded metal ..... it's not even close to being 'sharp'.

Also generally don't get too overly excited about absolute 'flatness' ..... few 'boards are ........ although getting the edges close to flush with the base is no bad thing, just don't get too excited about it .......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy