Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base burn

Poster: A snowHead
Are sintered bases more resistant to base burn?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine seem to be.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why do you want to know? keep it waxed regularly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aesthetics more than anything else.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ofcourse, because you can’t ride, then you spend your time sitting, so if base is burned - everybody will see that. Clever!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
are there any bases nowadays that aren't sintered?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
endoman wrote:

Prety much all lib tech lineup is extruded, but called TNT, and entry level boards, up to 400eur, comes with extruded.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having a nice base makes me feel better when I'm scorpion-ing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosmoz wrote:
endoman wrote:

Prety much all lib tech lineup is extruded, but called TNT, and entry level boards, up to 400eur, comes with extruded.

My fault, I didn't read that this was in Snowboarding section.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite a lot of park boards are extruded. More hard-wearing than sintered and why bother with a fast wax-hungry base when you're going at relatively low speeds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For a most riders it's moot anyway ...... they'd be hard pushed to notice the difference and besides you get the impression a lot would be happier going slower rather than faster anyway Confused

My Libs IIRC are TNT ...... waxed up properly they're not exactly slow ......

While sintered bases can be faster it's predominantly just more internet driven cavolata IMO ....... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I secretly adore Libs marketing thingy going on. Make shitty boards, put extruded bases, charge 550-700 per piece.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My one extruded board becomes painfully slow on slush, or snow rapidly becoming slushy, unless the base has been recently waxed. As previously mentioned the wax doesn't stay on the edges very long. It's a Salomon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BoardieK wrote:
My one extruded board becomes painfully slow on slush, or snow rapidly becoming slushy, unless the base has been recently waxed. As previously mentioned the wax doesn't stay on the edges very long. It's a Salomon.

Same experience last Easter. Each night I would re- hot wax. Tried universal and warm lasted till late morn. Or maybe the snow just got sticker by then.

Had a idea and bought a steel BBQ wire brush for the local pound shop and gave my extruded base a DIY structure. It worked crazy well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Extruded bases don't hold wax well if at all so don't bother wasting you money or the environment. Sintered bases are supposedly more durable but base burn is common if you don't wax a sintered base where as an extruded base, wouldn't matter so much.
snow conditions
Sintered harder, holds wax better, more difference between waxed and unwaxed. Comes with structure pretty much all the time. Harder.more expensive to fix.

Extruded softer, but easy to fix. Little difference between waxed and non waxed, won't pretend I saw everything, but never saw a board with extruded base and structure. And structure is very needed on slush.

@BoardieK, salomon puts sintered pretty "early" in their lineup, 400eur and up are always sintered.
snow report
Sintered bases are made by pressurising 1000s of little pellets into a sheet and baking it, the microscopic gaps in that sheet act as pores for wax to melt into the base which acts like a reservoir.
An extruded base, the pellets are melted into a liquid and squeezed out into a sheet then cut to shape, no pores, so wax just skims the surface and is worn away quickly. Same as why a ptex repair won't take wax the same way as the regular base on a sintered board or ski.

I wouldn't say that sintered is harder than extruded though, it is inherently more prone to damage because of the way its made.
snow conditions
@kosmoz, Yes, mine is the Quattro, a rental version of the Derby which I fancied but had been discontinued. Cost £125 so no complaints, in fact I used it for slush riding today but only because it had been waxed 2 riding days ago.

In fact I took a photo of the base after riding today.

latest report
Had an european derby, 160-163cm, when original derbies were short and fat. Liked it a lot, but sold due to getting more aggressive deck. That deck was like 400 new and came with sintered base Smile looked like that
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy